Really Weird Bicycle.

Old March 29th 13, 06:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

Default Really Weird Bicycle.

On Mar 28, 11:01 pm, Dan O wrote:
On Mar 28, 6:06 pm, datakoll wrote:

obree in bm great story

'man od's on speed'

I think it might be on Netflix.

(For some reason I have an affinity for movies about crazy people.)
Old March 29th 13, 04:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ningi[_2_]

On 29/03/2013 04:15, raamman wrote:
On Mar 28, 11:16 am, Ningi wrote:
On 28/03/2013 02:05, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

I think this would be uncomfortable to ride for any length of time. I a;so wonder how the rider can see what's ahead when his head is down on the pad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...MXlr5_cpU&NR=1

Cheers

Looks rather like Graeme Obree's world record attempt cycle.

http://data.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9tiry...ju7o1_1280.png

Pete

he finally got a drive train put on that thing, huh ?

Yes, an interesting design. It does appear to be about as
aerodynamically perfect as possible.

Pete

Old March 29th 13, 06:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
raamman

On Mar 29, 1:28*pm, Phil W Lee wrote:
Ningi considered Fri, 29 Mar 2013
16:36:51 +0000 the perfect time to write:

On Mar 28, 11:16 am, Ningi wrote:
On 28/03/2013 02:05, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

I think this would be uncomfortable to ride for any length of time. I a;so wonder how the rider can see what's ahead when his head is down on the pad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...MXlr5_cpU&NR=1

Cheers

Looks rather like Graeme Obree's world record attempt cycle.

http://data.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9tiry...ju7o1_1280.png

Pete

he finally got a drive train put on that thing, huh ?

Yes, an interesting design. *It does appear to be about as
aerodynamically perfect as possible.

It will be interesting to see if the aerodynamic benefits outweigh the
physiological/biomechanical disadvantages.- Hide quoted text -

doubt it is very effective up a good climb, and the longer wheelbase
will kill in steep switchbacks

try bunny hopping a pothole or a curb or the broken asphalt at a
railroad crossing

if its impractical it is useless
Old March 29th 13, 08:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
davethedave[_2_]

On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 21:32:58 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...MXlr5_cpU&NR=1

Cheers

Now there's solution!
What was the problem again?

He's French.
--
davethedave
Old March 29th 13, 09:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ningi[_2_]

On Mar 28, 11:16 am, Ningi wrote:
On 28/03/2013 02:05, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

I think this would be uncomfortable to ride for any length of time. I a;so wonder how the rider can see what's ahead when his head is down on the pad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...MXlr5_cpU&NR=1

Cheers

Looks rather like Graeme Obree's world record attempt cycle.

http://data.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9tiry...ju7o1_1280.png

Pete

he finally got a drive train put on that thing, huh ?

Yes, an interesting design. It does appear to be about as
aerodynamically perfect as possible.

It will be interesting to see if the aerodynamic benefits outweigh the
physiological/biomechanical disadvantages.

What disadvantages do you see? Apart from resting on your stomach it
looks pretty much ideal.

Pete

Old March 29th 13, 10:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Mar 28, 11:16 am, Ningi wrote:
On 28/03/2013 02:05, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

I think this would be uncomfortable to ride for any length of time. I a;so wonder how the rider can see what's ahead when his head is down on the pad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...MXlr5_cpU&NR=1

Cheers

Looks rather like Graeme Obree's world record attempt cycle.

http://data.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9tiry...ju7o1_1280.png

Pete

he finally got a drive train put on that thing, huh ?

Yes, an interesting design. It does appear to be about as
aerodynamically perfect as possible.

It will be interesting to see if the aerodynamic benefits outweigh the
physiological/biomechanical disadvantages.

What disadvantages do you see? Apart from resting on your stomach it
looks pretty much ideal.

Well, admittedly I haven't seen the video (lacking the required
plugin), but:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g9...-up-hip-DC.jpg

Old March 30th 13, 12:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Mar 28, 11:16 am, Ningi wrote:
On 28/03/2013 02:05, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

I think this would be uncomfortable to ride for any length of time. I a;so wonder how the rider can see what's ahead when his head is down on the pad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...MXlr5_cpU&NR=1

Cheers

Looks rather like Graeme Obree's world record attempt cycle.

http://data.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9tiry...ju7o1_1280.png

Pete

he finally got a drive train put on that thing, huh ?

Yes, an interesting design. *It does appear to be about as
aerodynamically perfect as possible.

It will be interesting to see if the aerodynamic benefits outweigh the
physiological/biomechanical disadvantages.

What disadvantages do you see? *Apart from resting on your stomach it
looks pretty much ideal.

Pete

From the guys website: (see http://www.h-zontal.com/pagesgb/faq.html)

"What are the disadvantages ?
First, you cannot rest your head and at the same time see the
landscape.
Secondly, piloting with mirror is not straightforward especially in
descents.
The actual version of H-Zontal bike is not good for long ride, but it
will be improved :
The mirror system is not yet perfect, but if it was built by a goggle
industry, the vision wil be improved.
The hips support needs improvement for long rides.
Then, when your hips hurts, you cannot stand up for a long time to
allay the pain."

- Frank Krygowski
Old March 30th 13, 01:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ningi[_2_]

From the guys website: (see http://www.h-zontal.com/pagesgb/faq.html)

"What are the disadvantages ?
First, you cannot rest your head and at the same time see the
landscape.
Secondly, piloting with mirror is not straightforward especially in
descents.
The actual version of H-Zontal bike is not good for long ride, but it
will be improved :
The mirror system is not yet perfect, but if it was built by a goggle
industry, the vision wil be improved.
The hips support needs improvement for long rides.
Then, when your hips hurts, you cannot stand up for a long time to
allay the pain."

- Frank Krygowski

I was referring to Obree's world record attempt bike which looks ideally
suited for its purpose.

For riding on the road , horizontal & head first doesn't look great to me.

Pete

Old March 30th 13, 04:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
raamman

On Mar 29, 9:53*pm, Ningi wrote:

I was referring to Obree's world record attempt bike which looks ideally
suited for its purpose.

Pete-

why head first as opposed to feet first ?

aerodynamically, head 1st, the head up convention in obrees position
spoils the flow, a prism/mirror contraption keeping the head down
seems more efficent

we are used to seeing rockets and other projectilles conically shaped-
so again I would expect a feet first approach unless obree adopts a
superman position

not that I really care though- it's not a bike I would ever care to
ride
Old March 30th 13, 01:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ningi[_2_]

On 30/03/2013 04:12, raamman wrote:
On Mar 29, 9:53 pm, Ningi wrote:

I was referring to Obree's world record attempt bike which looks ideally
suited for its purpose.

Pete-

why head first as opposed to feet first ?

aerodynamically, head 1st, the head up convention in obrees position
spoils the flow, a prism/mirror contraption keeping the head down
seems more efficent

we are used to seeing rockets and other projectilles conically shaped-
so again I would expect a feet first approach unless obree adopts a
superman position

not that I really care though- it's not a bike I would ever care to
ride

Shoulders are the widest part of body, therefore need to be at the front
for lowest drag - aka the teardrop shape.

Pete

Weird Bicycle Designs Jeff Liebermann Techniques 93 October 19th 11 05:00 PM
Is this weird? 066999566 Unicycling 5 November 16th 08 07:45 PM
It was weird Tosspot UK 9 May 2nd 06 01:23 PM
Weird Bicycle Sighting of the Week -- Group Award! [email protected] General 3 August 25th 05 03:55 AM
weird kid, weird coach habbywall Unicycling 2 August 1st 05 12:19 PM