LOCTITE STRIKES AGAIN

Old December 26th 13, 12:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default LOCTITE STRIKES AGAIN

http://www.henkelna.com/industrial-6101.htm
Old December 26th 13, 02:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/25/2013 6:36 PM, wrote:

http://www.henkelna.com/industrial-6101.htm

Loctite products are not pixie dust.

They have a range of very useful things for specific
problems. In my experience most consumer uses of Loctite
products are ill advised, poorly planned and useless where
not actually counterproductive. RTFM is an admonition seldom
taken to heart.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 26th 13, 06:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Thursday, December 26, 2013 9:36:31 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
... In my experience most consumer uses of Loctite
products are ill advised, poorly planned and useless where
not actually counterproductive.

Care to give details?

My use of Loctite on bikes is almost entirely limited to low-strength "lockwasher" formulations to keep fender nuts, rack mounts, etc. from vibrating loose. What have you seen?

- Frank Krygowski
Old December 26th 13, 06:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/26/2013 12:35 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Thursday, December 26, 2013 9:36:31 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
... In my experience most consumer uses of Loctite
products are ill advised, poorly planned and useless where
not actually counterproductive.

Care to give details?

My use of Loctite on bikes is almost entirely limited to low-strength "lockwasher" formulations to keep fender nuts, rack mounts, etc. from vibrating loose. What have you seen?

- Frank Krygowski

Applied to just about every moving or should-move part at
one time or another, including notably a wrong-size seatpost
which chronically slipped, worn crank tapers, wrong size hub
dustcap, stripped fork threads, etc etc.

Old December 26th 13, 07:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

as you know, I'm deciding on a trekking rack system...over inblipnagbikeyah...so a poster shows up sez his rack bolts keep falling out ! Stranded all last winter in Missoula caws the ...OMG !

He's in rehab.

I just RTFM'd. My Chinese aluminum NASCAR racing floor jack is sagged...I drove of it out of a sand hole. duh.

By accident, I get the instructions telling me to check the oil standing the jack vertically ! DO WHAT ?

THEN get this....uncrew air bolt...a nicely turned little beastie...ONE turn...then pump the handle EIGHT TIMES ! close the beastie 1.015 turns ( for wear) I have a micrometer. no prob.

Then pump the jack UP UP UP till the jack stand goes no farther then pump it FIVE times

COUNTEM DUDE 5 5 5 5 5 5.....

COUNTEM DUDE 5 5 5 5 5 5....

and let it down.

clean the oil off the garage floor.

maybe I'll buy a Greeves ?

when I began inquiry into the CDT, 20 minutes later an unknown party with new max trail bike shined to a fairthewell with commercial ??? rolled past my position twice.

Lock as sold Wal a line of stuff works gud. The all purpose vinyl plastic adhesive....Styrofoam too ? and the 2 part plastic epoxy...

used the epoxy on a separated Rigid shop vac hose and looks gud

I wud guess Lock has saved my butt maybe 5-6 times in 30 year in the THIS WILL NEVER GO TGETHER AGAIN CLASS OF COMPLETE SCREWUPS.

ALL AHIL !

Lock sent the email as an Xmass card

I guess not to you know....

nyah nyah

Old December 26th 13, 07:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

AMuzi writes:

On 12/26/2013 12:35 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Thursday, December 26, 2013 9:36:31 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
... In my experience most consumer uses of Loctite
products are ill advised, poorly planned and useless where
not actually counterproductive.

Care to give details?

My use of Loctite on bikes is almost entirely limited to low-strength "lockwasher" formulations to keep fender nuts, rack mounts, etc. from vibrating loose. What have you seen?

- Frank Krygowski

Applied to just about every moving or should-move part at one time or
another, including notably a wrong-size seatpost which chronically
slipped, worn crank tapers, wrong size hub dustcap, stripped fork
threads, etc etc.

Amazing. I did use locktite a few days ago after the mounting bolt for
my water bottle cage on my Moulton fell out for the second time in a
year. The real problem is that the cage is non-metallic (had it lying
around and am too cheap to buy a proper one if something else works) so
the hex machine screws cannot be properly torqued. If that doesn't
solve the problem I'll replace the cage.

--
Joe Riel
Old December 26th 13, 07:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Thursday, December 26, 2013 2:10:39 PM UTC-5, JoeRiel wrote:
AMuzi writes:

Applied to just about every moving or should-move part at one time or
another, including notably a wrong-size seatpost which chronically
slipped, worn crank tapers, wrong size hub dustcap, stripped fork
threads, etc etc.

Amazing. I did use locktite a few days ago after the mounting bolt for
my water bottle cage on my Moulton fell out for the second time in a
year. The real problem is that the cage is non-metallic (had it lying
around and am too cheap to buy a proper one if something else works) so
the hex machine screws cannot be properly torqued. If that doesn't
solve the problem I'll replace the cage.

Our Bikes Friday have plastic bottle cages. They're almost a requirement, due to the way the bikes fold. The cage needs to flex out of the way.

I'm betting the loctite is going to solve the problem for you.

- Frank Krygowski
Old December 27th 13, 12:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

[...]

? ? red wroks with some plastic housing using metal bolts. Try the plastic adhesive at Wal or Home Depot.
Old December 27th 13, 12:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Applied to just about every moving or should-move part at

one time or another, including notably a wrong-size seatpost

which chronically slipped, worn crank tapers, wrong size hub

dustcap, stripped fork threads, etc etc.

--

Andrew Muzi

www.yellowjersey.org/

Open every day since 1 April, 1971

what color Lock for the large surface area seat post ?

is Lock a rust inhibitor in that enclosed space ?
Old December 27th 13, 04:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
davethedave[_2_]

On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 12:49:16 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

On 12/26/2013 12:35 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Thursday, December 26, 2013 9:36:31 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
... In my experience most consumer uses of Loctite products are ill
advised, poorly planned and useless where not actually
counterproductive.

Care to give details?

My use of Loctite on bikes is almost entirely limited to low-strength
"lockwasher" formulations to keep fender nuts, rack mounts, etc. from
vibrating loose. What have you seen?

- Frank Krygowski

Applied to just about every moving or should-move part at one time or
another, including notably a wrong-size seatpost which chronically
slipped, worn crank tapers, wrong size hub dustcap, stripped fork
threads, etc etc.

raises hand

Please sir, I admit I once used green perma gunk threadlock to fit a very
worn shimano centrelock disc to a hub. I only did it because I couldn't
get anerobic curing bearing mounting goop.

Upon final disassembly of the hub for it's long predicted last journey to
the bin I tried a hammer, a bigger hammer then a dremel to cut it off.
Once it had been cut with the dremel it only took a couple of blows with
the big hammer to remove it. Good stuff that green goop.
--
davethedave

loctite/pedals l0uni0l Unicycling 6 November 11th 08 08:33 PM
Loctite cheech Unicycling 3 December 31st 05 02:18 AM
Let Loctite dry? LewW Techniques 13 December 22nd 04 03:09 AM
Grease or Loctite on BBs? tony R UK 6 April 8th 04 06:30 PM
Loctite!?!? TheObieOne3226 Unicycling 4 December 22nd 03 06:51 PM