A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

English tire width notation



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 23rd 18, 04:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,035
Default English tire width notation

Somtimes it says

AxBxC

and sometimes

AxB-C

Is this the same thing?

I have started to compile a list of all tire
sizes I come across, and I'm sure I'm the first
dude ever to get this idea. Anyway here is the
result so far:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
ISO / ETRTO England France note
----------------------------------------------------------------------
642 700 original wagon wheel OD
635 700B B = 2nd revision
44-635 28 x 1-5/8 x 1-1/2
634 700B another 700B version
622 700C road bike standard
27 x 1 old British RB standard
27 x 1-1/4 -"-
47-622 700x45C C as in 700C
40-622 28 x 1-5/8 x 1-1/2 700x38C
37-622 28 x 15/8 x 13/8 700x35C
32-622 28 x 14/8 x 10/8
32-622 28 x 1-5/8 x 1-1/4 700x32C
587 700D discontinued in the 80s
26 x 1-3/4 650B original 26 650B
56-584 27.5 x 2.20 650x56B modern 27.5 650B
44-584 26 x 1-5/8 x 1-1/2
40-584 26 x 1-1/2
26 x 1.5 x 2
~50-507? 26 x 2 2 - 19-3/4, trailer
----------------------------------------------------------------------

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Ads
  #2  
Old February 23rd 18, 04:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,839
Default English tire width notation

On 2/22/2018 9:11 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Somtimes it says

AxBxC

and sometimes

AxB-C

Is this the same thing?

I have started to compile a list of all tire
sizes I come across, and I'm sure I'm the first
dude ever to get this idea. Anyway here is the
result so far:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
ISO / ETRTO England France note
----------------------------------------------------------------------
642 700 original wagon wheel OD
635 700B B = 2nd revision
44-635 28 x 1-5/8 x 1-1/2
634 700B another 700B version
622 700C road bike standard
27 x 1 old British RB standard
27 x 1-1/4 -"-
47-622 700x45C C as in 700C
40-622 28 x 1-5/8 x 1-1/2 700x38C
37-622 28 x 15/8 x 13/8 700x35C
32-622 28 x 14/8 x 10/8
32-622 28 x 1-5/8 x 1-1/4 700x32C
587 700D discontinued in the 80s
26 x 1-3/4 650B original 26 650B
56-584 27.5 x 2.20 650x56B modern 27.5 650B
44-584 26 x 1-5/8 x 1-1/2
40-584 26 x 1-1/2
26 x 1.5 x 2
~50-507? 26 x 2 2 - 19-3/4, trailer
----------------------------------------------------------------------


no comment could contain my emotion:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971


  #3  
Old February 23rd 18, 04:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,035
Default English tire width notation

AMuzi wrote:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html


Perhaps one should compile all his articles
into a book, have everyone read it, and be done
with it?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
  #4  
Old February 23rd 18, 06:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,409
Default English tire width notation

On 2/22/2018 10:51 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
AMuzi wrote:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html


Perhaps one should compile all his articles
into a book, have everyone read it, and be done
with it?


Would that be somehow better than having people read that information
online? Seems the main difference would be the expense. And the relative
difficulty in following embedded links.

It is true that people tend to put less value on free items, no matter
their quality; and people tend to elevate the value of items they pay
for. So let me help you out! Send me twenty U.S. dollars, and I'll give
you permission to read all of the Sheldon Brown articles online.

--
- Frank Krygowski
  #5  
Old February 23rd 18, 12:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,967
Default English tire width notation

On Fri, 23 Feb 2018 04:51:39 +0100, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

AMuzi wrote:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html


Perhaps one should compile all his articles
into a book, have everyone read it, and be done
with it?


I suspect that it would be a pretty large book as Sheldon had an
amazing output. For example he wrote the "Mechanical Advantage" column
for Adventure Cyclist, the magazine of the Adventure Cycling
Association, from 1997 through 2007 and in addition was a contributing
writer for Bike World magazine and for Bicycling magazine and then
for the trade magazine American Bicyclist
--
Cheers,

John B.

  #6  
Old February 23rd 18, 12:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,035
Default English tire width notation

John B. wrote:

I suspect that it would be a pretty large
book as Sheldon had an amazing output.
For example he wrote the "Mechanical
Advantage" column for Adventure Cyclist, the
magazine of the Adventure Cycling
Association, from 1997 through 2007 and in
addition was a contributing writer for Bike
World magazine and for Bicycling magazine and
then for the trade magazine American
Bicyclist


All the more reason to do it

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
  #7  
Old February 23rd 18, 01:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,035
Default English tire width notation

Frank Krygowski wrote:

Would that be somehow better than having
people read that information online?


Yes, ergonomic/comfort

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
  #8  
Old February 23rd 18, 06:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,827
Default English tire width notation

On Fri, 23 Feb 2018 04:51:39 +0100, Emanuel Berg
wrote:
AMuzi wrote:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html


Perhaps one should compile all his articles into a book, have everyone
read it, and be done with it?


Been done. It's called "the interwebz."
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is Smaller Width Front Tire than Rear Tire size Efficient for Speed? Red Cloud Techniques 6 February 21st 16 12:53 AM
tire width, rim width, and pressure pm Techniques 18 May 18th 09 09:38 AM
Newbie query re rim width vs. tire width (longish) [email protected] Techniques 4 April 9th 07 01:42 PM
Matching tire width to rim width. mscalisi Unicycling 4 April 15th 04 05:48 PM
BB Sizing question-- English threads and 70mm width? Jim Rogers Techniques 3 December 23rd 03 02:44 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.