Alternative tires for the road?

Old June 22nd 05, 10:16 PM
dogbowl

Default Alternative tires for the road?

Tires are like shoes—you have to try a few before you figure out
what fits you...

It has occurred to me that we street unicyclers who ride on wheels that
are 26” or 29” always talk about the same handful of street
tires. Be it the Big Apple or Hookworm or one of the various off-road
tires that riders use for road riding, the same names always pop
up—which is fine because these are all excellent tires.

My question is this: who out there has had good experiences with street
tires that might be considered unusual for unicyclers. For
example—on my 26er, I was not at all happy with several tires I
put on it, including the Hookworm and the Big Apple. I was hopelessly
wobbeling and veering toward the left side of the road. Then, in a bike
store, I came upon a Bontrager Cruizer, and it made a huge
difference—I was riding totally straight. It has a great flat
profile—and excellent, excellent sidewalls (see picture). An
unbelieveable tire.

Now that I ride a 28/29er, I am once again looking for a comparable
tire. I currently use a Michelin Transworld City 700 x 47c, which is
fine, and rides pretty straight, but it is not as good as the Bontrager
Cruizer. Even though the frame on my 28/29er is a Sun, I can see that I
do have room for a bigger tire. Unfortunetly the Bontranger Cruizer does
not come in a 29 size. But still, the way it behaved does make me think
that it's worth it to try other tires than the ones commonly discussed
here.

Anyone here ever try “other” tires than the usual tire
selections?

| Attachment filename: bontrager_cruizer.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/328867|

dogbowl - Falling to Dark Side of theUnicycle

All I want out of life is to be able to ride the unicycle while smoking
a cigar at the same time. Is that too much to ask for?
www.dogbowl.com / www.eyeballplanet.com

dogbowl's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6629

Old June 23rd 05, 08:09 AM
Chuck

Nice looking tire, but I'm surprised that you like the square profile on
a uni. No accounting for personal preference, I guess.

On a 26" for the road, I love the round profile of the hookworm, and on
my 29er I prefer the Big Apple.

I use the Schwalbe Marathon XR on my bicycle - it has the same sort of
profile as the Bontrager you have pictured there. I'm using a 42-622 on
my bike, but it is also available as a 50-622. I've always thought they
were a little too "flat" across the tread area for a uni, but you might
want to check them out.

Chuck

--
Chuck
Chuck's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1449

Old June 23rd 05, 01:22 PM
DarkTom

howdy!

I've got a 24" for the road.

Tried a hookworm, kept going to the left. And was a bit dodgy in the
rain, I had cycled up some kerbs at an angle a few times and it just
bounced off and followed the line of the kerb, sending me flying!

Tried a flat profile Nimbus one, was ok but not too good for
maneourving(?) round stuff. Similar problem with kerbs.

Was in a bike shop and saw DMR MotoRacer RT 24x2.2 for £15.99.

Really thin sidewalls, so thin in fact DMR call it a "skinwall", but I
got the tyre at 70psi and it runs sweet!

Lovely grippy tread, and remains smooth to ride. A lot of street (bike)
riders use these tyres I believe.

I don't know if anyone else has tried these but I reckon it makes a
cracking uni tyre! And they go up to 26x2.5 I think.

T.

T.

| Attachment filename: tyre.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/329307|

DarkTom - Woah!

currently unable.
DarkTom's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6515

Old June 23rd 05, 01:30 PM
flyer

I run a Kenda K-RAD on my 20". Reason? sorta-knobby, and it's one half
to one quarter of the price of anything else around. I'll probably get a
proper tire when I get a proper freestyle uni. Until then, I don't have
the cash to keep replacing a 40$ tire every month. Because I ride too
much. Because I'm addicted.

--
flyer - Level 4 Unicyclist
flyer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9894

Old June 23rd 05, 03:48 PM
unicyclepa

what about a road bike tire like this [image:
http://www.fullcycles.com/images/rol...elan-aero.jpg]

--
unicyclepa

www.unicyclepa.com
we suck
but its all good
unicyclepa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9246

Old June 23rd 05, 09:33 PM
mboulanger

I use a schwinn stingray 24X2.1 on my uni. It behaves very badly at low
pressure, butis a real pleasure at about 70 psi.

--
mboulanger - UniNoob
mboulanger's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9642

Old June 23rd 05, 09:38 PM
ColDawG

i believe those road bike "tires" pictured above are just rims
i know road bikes have very slim tires, but i think those are just
wheelsets

--
ColDawG - Your friendly, neighborhood MuniMan

"Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?"
-G. Dubya
ColDawG's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9503

Old June 23rd 05, 09:45 PM
fexnix

I believe those "rims" are complete wheels

--
fexnix - Trial star

'*My fresh gallery*' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Fexnix-album)
'knarkargänget' (http://surl.se/elt)
fexnix's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7381

Old June 23rd 05, 10:29 PM
ColDawG

i meant that AND said that in the second line (notice "wheelsets")
lol
no worries mate

Old June 23rd 05, 11:27 PM
unicyclepa

yah i know there no tire but i couldint find a pic with one