Request for Advice

Old June 23rd 05, 09:59 PM
paul_g

Default Request for Advice

Hello, listers...

I have just recently returned to the one-wheel world, after a hiatus of
over 15 years!

I bought a cheap Sun 28" for the road and I love it! I'm doing 6-9
miles 3-4 times a week and having a blast. Surprisingly decent quality
for an $89 machine (except the seat - yuch!)

Now I want to buy a MUni (and a giraffe, and a...argh! - that was my
wife hitting me over the head!) . My question is, can someone please
explain the dis/advantages of 24" versus 26"?

I'm 5' 10'', 175 lbs, beginner-intermediate, and I want to ride the
flat, sandy singletrack we have here in Florida. I also want to learn
to hop, and freestyle and do trials (a little).

I'm aware a 26" will roll better over obstacles due to the diameter, and
lot's of 26" tires are available. What about crank length? Will
longer cranks make a 26" feel like a 24" with shorter cranks?

Finally, on the road I use a seat height that allows nearly full leg
extension. Do you lower the height proportionately when riding rough
terrain? Like you do on a mountain bike?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help steer this 44 year old beginner
in the right direction!

--
paul_g
paul_g's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10136

Old June 23rd 05, 10:47 PM
Mikefule

Over a distance, on average terrain, the larger diameter wheel will
always be faster, whatever you do with the cranks.

On a steady ride with no challenging obstacles, shorter cranks will tend
to make you faster on a given wheel size - but there is a threshold
after which the lack of control becomes counterproductive. Rule of
thumb: don't go any shorter than the length of cranks which allow you to
idle for a short time.

For serious MUni, most people recommend a 24 with the fattest tyrre you
can get. A 24 with a 3 inch tyre is better than a 26 with a standard
tyre.

On any surface, the fatter tyre will give a smoother, more predictable
ride.

For blasting along rough tracks, with no drops or tight turns (e.g.
forest trails, fire roads and the like) a 29 or Coker is a good option.
Big wheels roll over uneven ground better, but are harder to manoeuvre.

--
Mikefule - The first cuckoo of unicycling

Sumer is icomen in, loud sing Mikefule!

Old June 23rd 05, 10:51 PM
john_childs

The 24" munis will generally have a 3" or 2.6" tire. A fat 3" tire on a
24" rim has a final diameter that is just a little bit less than a
standard 26" XC MTB wheel.

The advantage to going with a 24" wheel instead of a 26" wheel is
maneuverability. In technical areas you want more maneuverability. For
example when riding through a rock garden or through a maze of tree
roots or just riding along a tight trail. With a 24" wheel your feet
are in the stable position (pedals horizontal) more often. You're in a
good pedal position to turn and maneuver more often.

A 26" rim with a fat tire is pretty big. A 26" rim with a fat 3" tire
has a final diameter that is close to 28" inches, almost as big as a
29er. Not exactly a nimble little unicycle. A 26" wheel with a fat
tire is also going to be heavier than a 24" wheel with a fat tire. It
is easier to jump and hop with a 24" than a 26" due to the lower weight
and smaller wheel size.

If you're doing technical riding a 24" wheel just works out better. For
non-technical riding where speed is the goal then a 29er would be the
choice. A 26" with a fat tire would be more for aggressive riding that
is too much for a 29er but not tight and technical and something where
you're willing to deal with the extra weight.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Gallery: '' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs)
' Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3) 'Click Me'
(http://tinyurl.com/7lvbu)

Old June 24th 05, 12:41 AM
redhead

No advice But I live in West Palm whare are you IM me at Wakeskater2336
at aol dot com

--
redhead

i rock
"i only got two thing in this world, my word and my balls,and i ain't
brakin them for no one"
redhead's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9985

Old June 24th 05, 02:00 PM
paul_g

Thanks for the advice, folks. It looks like I'll be getting a 24".

Redhead/Wakeskater, I'm in St. Petersburg. Other coast. take care.