Wheel sizes

Old November 20th 09, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Heaps

Default Wheel sizes

Hi, I need to put my wheel size into a new bicycle computer/odometer. It is
asking for a size which I do not know how to work out. Size is between 60
and 300, but my wheel size is 26".

Does anyone know what this equates to in the bicycle computer world?

Many thanks in advance.

Old November 20th 09, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On 20 Nov, 22:17, "John Heaps" wrote:
Hi, I need to put my wheel size into a new bicycle computer/odometer. It is
asking for a size which I do not know how to work out. *Size is between 60
and 300, but my wheel size is 26".

Does anyone know what this equates to in the bicycle computer world?

Many thanks in advance.

Wheel rollout in centimetres. Put a mark on the road and the edge of
your tyre with chalk or wax crayon. Get on the bike and roll forward
until the mark has come around. Mark the road where the mark on the
tyre join is. Measure the distance between the two marks in
centimetres. This is the value your computer requires. I guess it
will be around 200 and is dependent on tyre size, tyre pressure and
your weight.
Old November 20th 09, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tosspot[_2_]

John Heaps wrote:
Hi, I need to put my wheel size into a new bicycle computer/odometer. It is
asking for a size which I do not know how to work out. Size is between 60
and 300, but my wheel size is 26".

Does anyone know what this equates to in the bicycle computer world?

Many thanks in advance.

It wants the circumference in some unit or other, I suspect centimeters.

See

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cyclecom...libration.html

You could do a rollout, but you'll be within a percent or two just using the chart.
Old November 20th 09, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Anderson

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009, thirty-six wrote:

On 20 Nov, 22:17, "John Heaps" wrote:
Hi, I need to put my wheel size into a new bicycle computer/odometer. It is
asking for a size which I do not know how to work out. *Size is between 60
and 300, but my wheel size is 26".

Does anyone know what this equates to in the bicycle computer world?

Many thanks in advance.

Wheel rollout in centimetres. Put a mark on the road and the edge of
your tyre with chalk or wax crayon. Get on the bike and roll forward
until the mark has come around. Mark the road where the mark on the
tyre join is. Measure the distance between the two marks in
centimetres. This is the value your computer requires.

Instead of making a mark, you can just use the position of the valve on
the inside of the rim.

tom

--
Work alone does not suffice: the efforts must be intelligent. -- Charles
B. Rogers
Old November 21st 09, 12:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 22:17:10 -0000
"John Heaps" wrote:

Hi, I need to put my wheel size into a new bicycle computer/odometer.
It is asking for a size which I do not know how to work out. Size is
between 60 and 300, but my wheel size is 26".

Does anyone know what this equates to in the bicycle computer world?

It depends on the particular 26" that your wheel is, but assuming it's
something like 26 x 1.95 then the rim diameter is 559mm, add the
thickness of the tyre (1.95 x 25.4 x 2 = 99mm) to get the overall
diameter of 658mm, multiply by 3.1416 for the circumference of 2067mm
so you need to put 207 in your computer. That doesn't allow for the
nominal nature of tyre widths or the fact that the tyre deforms under
load, but it's probably near enough if you can't be bothered to sit on
the bike and measure the distance travelled in exactly one wheel
revolution.

Old November 21st 09, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Garry from Cork

Usually 210 if it's a Cateye or similar.

Old November 21st 09, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 00:55:12 -0800 (PST)
Garry from Cork wrote:

Usually 210 if it's a Cateye or similar.

You're just guessing.

Old November 21st 09, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Keitht

John Heaps wrote:
Hi, I need to put my wheel size into a new bicycle computer/odometer. It is
asking for a size which I do not know how to work out. Size is between 60
and 300, but my wheel size is 26".

Does anyone know what this equates to in the bicycle computer world?

Many thanks in advance.

Don't bother with any maths.

Stick a bit of tap on the front wheel and a bit on the ground.
Line up both bits of tape and wheel the bike until the tape on the tyre
has done one revolution.
Put another bit of tape on the ground next to the bit on the tyre.
Measure the distance in whatever the comp wants.
Bung it in the comp.

Sorted!

--
Its never too late to reinvent the bicycle
Old November 23rd 09, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Jackson

In article ,
Keitht wrote:
Stick a bit of tap on the front wheel and a bit on the ground.
Line up both bits of tape and wheel the bike until the tape on the tyre
has done one revolution.

This is of course a perfectly sensible and low-tech way of doing
things.

But I was lazier. When I first got my computer I just took the
value for my wheel and tyre size from Sheldon's site. When I wanted
to know how accurate it was, I cycled around 1km along a nice straight
road and compared the distance measured with that reported by my GPS -
and the results were within the measurement resolution of the cycle
computer.

--
Ian Jackson personal email:
These opinions are my own. http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~ijackson/
Old November 23rd 09, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Keitht

Ian Jackson wrote:
In article ,
Keitht wrote:
Stick a bit of tap on the front wheel and a bit on the ground.
Line up both bits of tape and wheel the bike until the tape on the tyre
has done one revolution.

This is of course a perfectly sensible and low-tech way of doing
things.

But I was lazier. When I first got my computer I just took the
value for my wheel and tyre size from Sheldon's site. When I wanted
to know how accurate it was, I cycled around 1km along a nice straight
road and compared the distance measured with that reported by my GPS -
and the results were within the measurement resolution of the cycle
computer.

Lazy ?
My fat hairy yellow butt* it is!

My method can be done in the time it takes a mug of tea to get cool
enough to drink -- yours needs a microwave to warm the tea up later ;-p

'kin techjunkies I dunno (Muttley FX)

*Homer
--
Its never too late to reinvent the bicycle

Folding Bike Wheel Sizes Captain Recumbent Biking 2 May 22nd 06 09:09 AM
Wheel sizes iridemymuni Unicycling 6 March 26th 06 07:58 AM
Wheel Sizes Dave UK 7 September 7th 05 09:28 PM
Cranks and wheel sizes. Beener Unicycling 6 June 13th 05 10:14 PM
idling and wheel sizes Mikefule Unicycling 16 August 19th 03 07:29 AM