Selecting a Bike

Old July 11th 08, 05:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Katuzo

Default Selecting a Bike

Doctor told me to get a bike. Consumers Reports say Giant FCR3 is good
for exercising ( I'm 57, 5'7", 170 pounds). When I went to the LBS,
and told them I wanted a bike that was also comfortable, and could
take some bumps (be easy on my butt + back), handle curbs, be fitted
with baskets and perhaps even be ridden in a campground occasionally
or a dirt path, they told me to go with something like a Giant Sedona
or a Cannondale Comfort 5 instead. When I talked to the people at
work, they all seem to like low end mountain bikes like the Iron Horse
Warrior 3, except for one buddy who got a $100 dual suspension bike
whose bearing failed in a coupled of yrs. So right now, I basically
confused with conflicting advice. It seems that big tires are the way
to gain comfort but exercise bikes don't seem to have them, and if the
bike isn't comfortable I know I won't ride it. I really would like a
dual suspension, even if it's used + a little scratched. But I really
don't know which way to really choose the style because there such a
selection of bikes out there, not like when I was a kid, it actually a
little confusing. Could you some help sorting this out.
Thanks
Old July 11th 08, 08:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Chalo

Katuzo wrote:

Doctor told me to get a bike. Consumers Reports say Giant FCR3 is good
for exercising ( I'm 57, 5'7", 170 pounds). When I went to the LBS,
and told them I wanted a bike that was also comfortable, and could
take some bumps (be easy on my butt + back), handle curbs, be fitted
with baskets and perhaps even be ridden in a campground occasionally
or a dirt path, they told me to go with something like a Giant Sedona
or a Cannondale Comfort 5 instead.

The difference between the Giant FCR3 and the Giant Sedona is that the
latter bike has 26" wheels. Such wheels can be fitted with fatter
tires, and they are naturally stronger.

When I talked to the people at
work, they all seem to like low end mountain bikes like the Iron Horse
Warrior 3, except for one buddy who got a $100 dual suspension bike
whose bearing failed in a coupled of yrs. So right now, I basically
confused with conflicting advice. It seems that big tires are the way
to gain comfort but exercise bikes don't seem to have them, and if the
bike isn't comfortable I know I won't ride it.

Whether you'll be more comfortable on a so-called mountain bike or a
comfort bike is a matter of personal preference and how far you intend
to ride at one time. Comfort bikes are great for short rides at low
effort levels, but they impede the process of strong athletic
riding.

Stay away from department store bikes of any kind. They are generally
made in only one size, so you most likely won't be able to find one
that fits you properly. They are almost always incompetently
assembled and made of the cheapest parts and materials available.
Many worthy bike shops won't service them because they are more
trouble than they are worth.

I really would like a
dual suspension, even if it's used + a little scratched.

No you wouldn't. It's not worth it unless you intend to ride on very
harsh surfaces. You'll waste a lot of muscle power bouncing the bike
on its suspension, but you probably won't find the ride much more
pleasant than a normal fat-tire bike on a normal road surface. Dual
suspension bikes require a lot more service over time than rigid frame
bikes do, and they cost a lot more for any given level of quality.

Simple is better. For comfort, fat tires at low pressure are
beneficial, but large diameter wheels are also helpful. You can have
both if you get a bike with 29" wheels (that's a 700c road-bike-sized
rim with a 2"+ mountain bike sized tire on it). The Redline D440 29er
is a good and cost-effective option if you want multiple gears. The
Redline Monocog 29er is good if you are interested in a single speed
bike.

Make sure the bike fits you acceptably well. You should see to it
that the handlebars are no lower than the height of the saddle, and
preferably a few inches higher, if comfort is of paramount
importance. Lower handlebars are for efficiency at high speeds at the
expense of comfort. And take care to get a saddle you can live with;
most originally equipped saddles are terrible.

Chalo
Old July 11th 08, 12:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Katuzo

Thanks for the info about rim size and comfort, I didn't see that in
any of my research so far.

So the Giant FCR3 (700cc), Giant Sedona (26"), Cannondale Comfort 5
(26") and the Redline D440 29er (29") would all be good bikes for
exercising. The main difference in comfort would start at their wheel
diameter, and then if I could use a mountain bike sized tire on it. So
the either the Giant FCR3 or the Redline D440 would be the way to,
based on wheel size alone. Now all I have to figure out is which one
can take a 2"+ mountain bike tire.

I wonder why the Sedona and Comfort 5 are rated more for comfort even
they have a smaller wheel diameter? Is it because of the wider tires
they come with or could it be because of the seat?

How far do I plan on riding? On a daily ride, they say you must
exercise your heart for 30 minutes. Including warm up and cool down,
that would probably be 35 minutes. How far can you go on a bike in 35
minutes? I really don't know.
Old July 26th 08, 03:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Claire Petersky

"Katuzo" wrote in message

How far do I plan on riding? On a daily ride, they say you must
exercise your heart for 30 minutes. Including warm up and cool down,
that would probably be 35 minutes. How far can you go on a bike in 35
minutes? I really don't know.

I hope by now you have a sense of how far you can go in 30 minutes. For me,
when I was just starting out, that would have been about 5 miles.

How's it going with your new bike?

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

Old July 12th 08, 02:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
ZBicyclist

Chalo wrote:
Katuzo wrote:

[...]

Chalo's advice is pretty much mine. The Sedona's not a bad
recommendation at all. My daughter has one.

After you ride that for a while, if you start riding longer
distances / want to go faster you will probably want to get a road
bike (drop handlebars), but that's a bigger investment. Even then,
you will find the Sedona may work better in the winter / in the rain
/ for errand trips.

Others had good suggestions as well.

Old July 12th 08, 04:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Chalo Colina wrote:
Katuzo wrote:
I really would like a
dual suspension, even if it's used + a little scratched.

No you wouldn't. It's not worth it unless you intend to ride on very
harsh surfaces. You'll waste a lot of muscle power bouncing the bike
on its suspension, but you probably won't find the ride much more
pleasant than a normal fat-tire bike on a normal road surface....

If you put a jack-shaft concentric with the suspension pivot and
position the rider so the reciprocal motion of his/her legs while
pedaling is orthogonal to the direction of the suspension motion,
pedaling related suspension bob is eliminated.

"People who had no mercy will find none." - Anon.
Old July 12th 08, 07:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Chalo

Tom Sherman wrote:

Chalo Colina wrote:

Katuzo wrote:
I really would like a
dual suspension, even if it's used + a little scratched.

No you wouldn't. *It's not worth it unless you intend to ride on very
harsh surfaces. *You'll waste a lot of muscle power bouncing the bike
on its suspension, but you probably won't find the ride much more
pleasant than a normal fat-tire bike on a normal road surface....

If you put a jack-shaft concentric with the suspension pivot and
position the rider so the reciprocal motion of his/her legs while
pedaling is orthogonal to the direction of the suspension motion,
pedaling related suspension bob is eliminated.

That would require that you ride a distorted bike in the manner of
some kind of upended insect. It would be undignified, even if it were
technically feasible. :^)

Chalo
Old July 12th 08, 02:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Chalo Colina wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:
Chalo Colina wrote:
Katuzo wrote:
I really would like a
dual suspension, even if it's used + a little scratched.

No you wouldn't. It's not worth it unless you intend to ride on very
harsh surfaces. You'll waste a lot of muscle power bouncing the bike
on its suspension, but you probably won't find the ride much more
pleasant than a normal fat-tire bike on a normal road surface....

If you put a jack-shaft concentric with the suspension pivot and
position the rider so the reciprocal motion of his/her legs while
pedaling is orthogonal to the direction of the suspension motion,
pedaling related suspension bob is eliminated.

That would require that you ride a distorted bike in the manner of
some kind of upended insect. It would be undignified, even if it were
technically feasible. :^)

Chalo is very astute. I have a trike that fits my above description, and
indeed, it is named after an insect.

See http://www.flickr.com/photos/19704682@N08/1940450454/ and
http://www.flickr.com/photos/19704682@N08/2661128680/.

"People who had no mercy will find none." - Anon.
Old July 12th 08, 01:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Avoid that 29" hype BS. You would be served well by a bike such as a
Trek 7100 which has a front suspension , shock seatpost and wider 700c
tires. They cost about $360. Avoid x mart type bikes and the dual
suspensions. MTB's usually have a hunched over position and your
hands and neck will suffer. Your shop is right about a comfort type
bike

Old July 12th 08, 05:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Jul 12, 7:44*am, wrote:
Avoid that 29" hype BS. *You would be served well by a bike such as a
Trek 7100 which has a front suspension , shock seatpost and wider 700c
tires. *They cost about $360. *Avoid x mart type bikes and the dual
suspensions. *MTB's usually have a hunched over position and your
hands and neck will suffer. *Your shop is right about a comfort type
bike

The 7100 is more like $450, but it's a fine bike. I flipped a yard
sale example I found for $50 on Craigslist last summer. It's got
enough squidgy bits to make a person getting back to riding happy, but
it's plenty fast compared to the misery of a mtb on pavement.