Reviews of unbranded no-name carbon frames?

Old August 19th 09, 04:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jeff potter

Default Reviews of unbranded no-name carbon frames?

Anyone riding any of the unbranded no-name carbon frames I see being
sold on eBay from Hong Kong for $360?

It looks like at least one HK outfit is getting in the biz of selling
all sorts of generic carbon parts.

Any good links for reviews of this trend?

--JP
allbikemag.com
Old August 19th 09, 05:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Aug 19, 10:32*am, jeff potter wrote:
Anyone riding any of the unbranded no-name carbon frames I see being
sold on eBay from Hong Kong for $360?

It looks like at least one HK outfit is getting in the biz of selling
all sorts of generic carbon parts.

Any good links for reviews of this trend?

--JP
allbikemag.com

Go over to www.roadbikereview.com and look at the various frame/bike
reviews. Just pick out the ones that say Motobecane, Leader, Pedal
Force, etc. These are the frames you are talking about but with no-
name names on them. And to be honest, you could likely pick most of
the name brand frames and its the same frame as the ones you are
looking at.
Old August 19th 09, 06:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Aug 19, 11:06*am, "
wrote:
On Aug 19, 10:32*am, jeff potter wrote:

Anyone riding any of the unbranded no-name carbon frames I see being
sold on eBay from Hong Kong for $360?

It looks like at least one HK outfit is getting in the biz of selling
all sorts of generic carbon parts.

Any good links for reviews of this trend?

--JP
allbikemag.com

Go over towww.roadbikereview.comand look at the various frame/bike
reviews. *Just pick out the ones that say Motobecane, Leader, Pedal
Force, etc. *These are the frames you are talking about but with no-
name names on them. *And to be honest, you could likely pick most of
the name brand frames and its the same frame as the ones you are
looking at.

Yup. They've become commodities--the branding is silly. The unbranded
plain crabon frames are pretty attractive in their own way.
Old August 20th 09, 12:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Johnny Twelve-Point presented by JFT

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 08:32:53 -0700 (PDT), jeff potter
wrote:

Anyone riding any of the unbranded no-name carbon frames I see being
sold on eBay from Hong Kong for $360?

A lot of guys in city ride custom painted super cheap carbon frames
from that part of the world. They ride fine. They seem to treat the
frames as disposable. I'm not sure if they're the frames you're
talking about.
Old August 20th 09, 03:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam[_5_]

jeff potter wrote:
Anyone riding any of the unbranded no-name carbon frames I see being
sold on eBay from Hong Kong for $360?

It looks like at least one HK outfit is getting in the biz of selling
all sorts of generic carbon parts.

Any good links for reviews of this trend?

--JP
allbikemag.com

why the heck can't "allbikemag.com" buy one and test for themselves???
Old August 20th 09, 04:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jeff potter

OK, I'll look up reviews for those jiffy revived brands.

Interesting about the "disposability" of this stuff. I haven't used
carbon bike stuff yet, but I use some carbon XC skiing and canoe/kayak
stuff and the athletes in these fields treat it as disposable (and
also have pals with repair shops). But as an amateur I've found it all
to be bombproof. Sure, I try to use it right, but I'm also pretty
rough on it and am impressed by the 10+ years that it all has lasted
so far with no signs of fading. (Knock on plastic.)

So is there any market feedback on the shopping experience/reliability
of buying no-name frames from HK e-tailers? What about returns?

It's interesting that there isn't much out there on these cheap frames
and parts (at least on RBT, at this point). Other HK-direct e-tailers
are well-known and heavily shopped with lots of feedback. I'm thinking
of the very popular http://dealextremes.com (for $40 lights that, at
500-900 lumens, seem as bright as much more expensive bike lights).
They get mixed reviews but have always been prompt and generous with
me. Maybe cheap HK bike e-shopping is more recent?

....Still wondering about the low-down.

--JP
allbikemag.com
Old August 20th 09, 08:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Aug 20, 9:07*am, jeff potter wrote:
[...]

bikeisland.com is located in houston, i think. they sell lots of
chinese stuff. they have an all carbon bottecchia frame with fork for
$500. It is totally chinese. They seem to have a good reputation and
will talk to you about their products. They sell the bikesdirect.com
stuff, (motobecane and stuff) They have a complete carbon motobecane
with ultegra for a little over $1,000 which looks pretty cool. I'm
sure that you can give them a call and they'll tell you about their
products. They participate in the roadbikereview forum which has tons
of reviews on chinese carbon frames that come directly from china as
well as the stuff that you get from bikeisland, neuvation and other
importers. I bought a couple of wheeslsets from bikeisland. One was a
set of 36 spoked alex DA 22s for less that $100 and the other is a
vuelta pair for $150. Both work great.
Old August 20th 09, 10:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Aug 20, 12:53*pm, " wrote:
[...]

vuelta pair for $150. Both work great.- Hide quoted text -

And that Bottecchia comes with decals included but not applied, so you
can go stealth if you want. I've got a set of the Rivendell
"Resurrectio" decals that would be perversely cool to put on a carbon
frame, just to send Grant a picture and see if his head explodes.
Old August 20th 09, 11:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

On Aug 20, 4:08 pm, Hank wrote:
On Aug 20, 12:53 pm, " wrote:

[...]

If Grant Peterson's head were to explode, the result might be similar
to this:

http://tinyurl.com/p4n6k

.......except the stuff running down the streets wouldn't be molasses!
Old August 21st 09, 12:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Aug 20, 5:05*pm, Ozark Bicycle
wrote:
On Aug 20, 4:08 pm, Hank wrote:

On Aug 20, 12:53 pm, " wrote:

[...]

Liar, even Grant doesn't have that much shellac!