At Last!!!!!!!!!!!

Old December 24th 03, 01:13 AM
clarky44

Default At Last!!!!!!!!!!!

After moving near to Leicester and working in Kettering I figured ou
that there had to be a better way than taking the carto the station.
desperately wanted to cycle to the station but couldn't work out how t
do it with clothing etc and bike etc. So having "bit the bullet"
decided that I was going to go for it, I have "invested" in a very chea
tourer type bike. I went into City Bikesin Melton Road Leicester an
although I was right at the bottom of the market Dave was quite prepare
to make sure that I got the right bike for my budget (and delivered i
to home at no extra cost) I was impressed

The bike is a "sit up and beg" type but I figured that it would be les
atttractive to nick. (which, touch wood, has been the case until now) I
also gives a great view of traffic. However, the cycle lanes o
Leicester are anything but - but I am imoresssed generally with m
route. I find the 4x4 and bus drivers the worst

Anyway I have done the trip about 10 times and I am still trying to ge
the layering right (does anyone have any ideas about the righ
combination of base layers and fleeces etc at the moment?

I am really enjoying it - even if it does increase the journey by abou
a third. I am hooked. There's no turning back now. I'm hooke

Stev

-

Old December 24th 03, 10:41 AM
Peter B

"clarky44" wrote in message
.com...
Anyway I have done the trip about 10 times and I am still trying to get
the layering right (does anyone have any ideas about the right
combination of base layers and fleeces etc at the moment?)

I think the quality is as important as the number of layers.
On Sunday I was mostly wearing an Altura base layer, ancient Giordana
brushed (not fleece) mid layer and a Goretex waterproof top layer despite it
not raining nor forecast to do so.
This proved a good compromise for ride that involved sheltered, long, slow,
hard climbs off-road that made me sweat and exposed high level road sections
in temps of 2 to 4 degs and I think would have been perfect for a road only
ride.

The Goretex kept out every vestige of the cold wind and yet allowed the
sweat to evaporate.
In years gone by with a less efficient shell any sweat developed during the
ride would remain with me throughout so by the rides end I felt cold, wet
and uncomfortable.

Pete

Old December 24th 03, 11:06 AM
[Not Responding]

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 00:13:42 GMT, clarky44
wrote:

After moving near to Leicester and working in Kettering I figured out
that there had to be a better way than taking the carto the station. I
desperately wanted to cycle to the station but couldn't work out how to
do it with clothing etc and bike etc. So having "bit the bullet" I
decided that I was going to go for it, I have "invested" in a very cheap
tourer type bike. I went into City Bikesin Melton Road Leicester and
although I was right at the bottom of the market Dave was quite prepared
to make sure that I got the right bike for my budget (and delivered it
to home at no extra cost) I was impressed.

The bike is a "sit up and beg" type but I figured that it would be less
atttractive to nick. (which, touch wood, has been the case until now) It
also gives a great view of traffic. However, the cycle lanes of
Leicester are anything but - but I am imoresssed generally with my
route. I find the 4x4 and bus drivers the worst.

Anyway I have done the trip about 10 times and I am still trying to get
the layering right (does anyone have any ideas about the right
combination of base layers and fleeces etc at the moment?)

all depends on what sort of trip it is and how you regard it.

for short [5 miles], flat commutes i adopt the 'utility' mode and
ride with whatever i am wearing. if it is likely to rain [and this
doesn't happen as often as you may think] i just add goretex jacket,
overtrousers and overshoes. if it feels a bit chilly i just pedal
harder for two minutes and wear a hat.

if you treat your commute as a sport and change into cycling specific
clothes i'd take the 'wear as little as possible' approach; cycling
shorts + a jersey. wet legs are easier to dry than sodden longs.

I am really enjoying it - even if it does increase the journey by about
a third. I am hooked. There's no turning back now. I'm hooked

good man.
Old December 24th 03, 11:34 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

wrote:

I went into City Bikesin Melton Road Leicester and
although I was right at the bottom of the market Dave was quite prepared
to make sure that I got the right bike for my budget

Hurrah for Proper Bike Shops!

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk
Old December 24th 03, 11:35 AM
Simon Brooke

clarky44 writes:

[...]

I think one can get way too obsessed with clothing for cycling. In the
years when I did the sort of cycling you're doing now (i.e. a regular
commute to work over about six to twelve miles) I wore just whatever I
would be wearing for work anyway, and took a change of t-shirt (it's
only your underneath most layer that gets sweaty unless you're going a
long way). I used to keep a change of shoes in my locker at work,
because if you're going to cycle, proper cycling shoes are worth it
(and the ones I used in those days you *definitely* couldn't walk in).

In the days when I was commuting 21 miles each way I wore cycling
clothes for the commute and kept a complete change of clothes at work
- that meant driving in once a week. These days I work from home so
don't commute, and when I go cycling I usually wear, summer or winter,
a silk vest and a thin woolen jersey. In winter I wear bib longs, in
summer shorts. If it's raining I wear a thin waterproof.

-- mens vacua in medio vacuo --
Old December 26th 03, 04:00 PM
clarky44

--
(Simon Brooke)
http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/htt...org.uk/~simon/

Thanks for the help. When I go back to work in the New Year I'll try t
wear just normal gear and leave some spare clothes etc at work. You
right - I think you can get too obsessed

Went on on my usual mountain bike today to burn off the turkey an
pudding and found it like a dream to ride. Mind you I have become use
to the comfort of the saddle on the commuter

Thanks again

Stev

-