Going clipless

Old March 21st 09, 08:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

Default Welgo V8 or ... which flat pedal with pins? was Going clipless

In article
,
Andre Jute wrote:

Thanks, gentlemen. On hand of the advice here, if and when I go
clipless, I'll choose between the Shimano M520, M324 (flat one side,
SPD the other) and M424 (SPD pop-up both sides with flat pedal
surround both sides).

I never yet heard from anyone who was happy with the one sided
click in pedals. Buy them at your own risk.

--
Michael Press
Old March 21st 09, 08:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
,
Andre Jute wrote:

Those studded "flat" pedals have come and gone. They're dangerous but
not because they retain your foot. You need to wear protectors on your
shins and calves. What sort of pleasure cycling is that?

Fitted them, and on the ramp down from the high pavement in front of
my townhouse I had to stop suddenly for a car on the road, came
forward off the saddle and the pedal dug into the back of my leg,
blood running.

Returning from a short ride an hour later, riding up the steep ramp,
had to stop suddenly for kids invisible behind cars, the pins take
another bite out of me.

"Hey, mister, why are you taking off your kewl pedals?"

"You think I'm bleeding because I ride in Leopold von Sader-Masoch's
peloton?"

"My dad says you shouldn't mix your drinks. One bike, one job. Does it
hurt?"

"Go ask your dad if I may give you these dangerous pedals. Tell him,
one riot, one Ranger."

"You're supposeta wear armour. Like these, see? Can you fit them for
me?"

"Go ask your dad if you can have the pedals. Don't talk back. Today my
patience is a negative quantity."

"He'll say yes. He fixed the light you gave me on his bike. What else
you got that you don't want any more?"

"Can I give you a superannuated Swede who is surplus to requirements?"

"Nah. We eat roast parsnip with chicken but not swede. Dad says swede
tastes mouldy even before they're old. Here, let me hold the bike for
you, sir."

-- extracted from
The Power and the Pain: my cycling romance, a tellynovelly for the
soundbite generation

Suits me; but not because I like sound bites, those who use them,
the phrase itself, or those who use the phrase.

--
Michael Press
Old March 21st 09, 08:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Michael Press wrote:
In article
,
Andre Jute wrote:

Thanks, gentlemen. On hand of the advice here, if and when I go
clipless, I'll choose between the Shimano M520, M324 (flat one side,
SPD the other) and M424 (SPD pop-up both sides with flat pedal
surround both sides).

I never yet heard from anyone who was happy with the one sided
click in pedals. Buy them at your own risk.

They hang at the perfect angle for clipless entry on a 'bent.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll
Old March 21st 09, 08:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Mar 21, 2:35*pm, Michael Press wrote:
In article
,
*Andre Jute wrote:

Thanks, gentlemen. On hand of the advice here, if and when I go
clipless, I'll choose between the Shimano M520, M324 (flat one side,
SPD the other) and M424 (SPD pop-up both sides with flat pedal
surround both sides).

I never yet heard from anyone who was happy with the one sided
click in pedals. Buy them at your own risk.

Looks and clones are very popular still...

I've used the single sided with mtb platform with mtb shoes when
messengering. Worked great as I could keep a foot loose in sticky
situations.

Old March 21st 09, 09:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

landotter wrote:
Looks and clones are very popular still...
I've used the single sided with mtb platform with mtb shoes when
messengering. Worked great as I could keep a foot loose in sticky
situations.

I like my Look one-sided road pedals but, as always, they
are not for everyone. Looks hang at the wrong angle for a
recumbent so that leaves Tom out.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old March 21st 09, 10:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

landotter wrote:
Looks and clones are very popular still...
I've used the single sided with mtb platform with mtb shoes when
messengering. Worked great as I could keep a foot loose in sticky
situations.

I like my Look one-sided road pedals but, as always, they are not for
everyone. Looks hang at the wrong angle for a recumbent so that leaves
Tom out.

The second best thing about clipless compared to clips & straps is
walkable cleats. MTB systems are good enough for my (and that of many
others) road riding that I see no reason to use a system that makes me
walk like a duck off the bicycle.

Old March 21st 09, 11:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay[_2_]

Default Going clipless

"Andre Jute" wrote in message
Since my Brooks saddle seems to permit me to pedal more powerfully, I
thought I might reinforce efficiency with positive location of my feet
on the full rotation of the pedal stroke.

Is this a good idea for someone who all his life has used platform
pedals?

Is there any reason, if I decide to go ahead, not to buy the Shimano
PD-M520 SPD pedals?

Would the PD-M424 dual platform/SPD pedals be a better choice for me?
Or the 324, which can take the SH56 cleats?

Should I order a set of SM-SH56 Multi-Release Cleats with whichever
pedals I decide on or are the Single-Release Cleats easy to learn to
use?

Thanks.

Andre Jute
Exploring ways and means

I use Shimano SPD pedals on my bikes, not sure of the exact model. Sidi Dom5
shoes, not sure of the exact model of cleats. I am never going back to
platform pedals. I only pull up occasionally. Mainly, I like being locked
into the pedals, especially in wet conditions. Your foot will not slip off
the pedal.

There is a bit of a learning curve with clipless pedals, but anyone with an
IQ 60 can figure it out.

J.

Should I go clipless? dgk General 48 May 28th 05 04:23 PM
Gone Clipless DJ Australia 21 November 16th 04 05:00 PM
Going clipless cc Mountain Biking 17 June 13th 04 09:18 PM
Going Clipless iarocu UK 37 April 24th 04 04:41 PM
Clipless... joona Unicycling 47 January 14th 04 09:03 AM