IDIOTS ON BIKES ARE NOT AS DANGEROUS

Old March 22nd 09, 01:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,misc.transport.urban-transit
The Older Gentleman[_3_]

Default dump the Big Three and embrace public transportation

wrote:

NO!!!!! PUBLIC TRANSIT DOES NOT WORK AND NEVER WILL WORK. MASS
TRANSIT IS SO SLOW THAT PEOPLE CAN NOT AFFORD THE WASTE OF THEIR TIME
TO USE IT.

Nonsense

PUBLIC TRANSIT IS ONLY PUSHED BY TOTAL MORONS THAT HAVE NO CLUE OF
WHAT PEOPLE DEMAND FOR THEIR LIVES IN THIS SOCIETY

Like people who shout at strangers?

--
BMW K1100LT Ducati 750SS Honda CB400F & SH50 Triumph Street Triple
GHPOTHUF#1 chateaudotmurrayatidnetdotcom
Old March 22nd 09, 01:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,misc.transport.urban-transit
The Older Gentleman[_3_]

Vito wrote:

But a good start would be moving freight off of our highways and back onto
our rail roads.

Oh, that old chestnut. Dream on. If it was that easy and cost-effective
it would have been done.

Old March 22nd 09, 01:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,misc.transport.urban-transit
The Older Gentleman[_3_]

Miles Bader wrote:

"Vito" writes:
PUBLIC TRANSIT IS ONLY PUSHED BY TOTAL MORONS ....

I must assume that you have never traveled in a country or area where
mass transit is the prime means of transportation. ....

There is much truth on both sides.

Actually I suspect there's a lot more truth behind Jobst's statement
above, than truth behind jackmay's statement...

Yes, but it's a pity that Jobst said this:

"In most of Europe most large cities have no more car traffic in town"

Which is utter nonsense and suggests he's never been in a large European
city in his life.

Old March 22nd 09, 02:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,misc.transport.urban-transit
Tom Sherman[_2_]

The Older Gentleman wrote:
Miles Bader wrote:

"Vito" writes:
PUBLIC TRANSIT IS ONLY PUSHED BY TOTAL MORONS ....
I must assume that you have never traveled in a country or area where
mass transit is the prime means of transportation. ....
There is much truth on both sides.

Actually I suspect there's a lot more truth behind Jobst's statement
above, than truth behind jackmay's statement...

Yes, but it's a pity that Jobst said this:

"In most of Europe most large cities have no more car traffic in town"

Which is utter nonsense and suggests he's never been in a large European
city in his life.

Well, Jobst cycles the Alps every summer.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll
Old March 22nd 09, 03:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,misc.transport.urban-transit
The Older Gentleman[_3_]

Tom Sherman wrote:

The Older Gentleman wrote:
Miles Bader wrote:

"Vito" writes:
PUBLIC TRANSIT IS ONLY PUSHED BY TOTAL MORONS ....
I must assume that you have never traveled in a country or area where
mass transit is the prime means of transportation. ....
There is much truth on both sides.
Actually I suspect there's a lot more truth behind Jobst's statement
above, than truth behind jackmay's statement...

Yes, but it's a pity that Jobst said this:

"In most of Europe most large cities have no more car traffic in town"

Which is utter nonsense and suggests he's never been in a large European
city in his life.

Well, Jobst cycles the Alps every summer.

And there aren't any large cities in the Alps. Salzburg comes to mind,
but that's it. And that isn't a big city, really.

Seriously, to say there's no car traffic in big European cities is the
purest ********.

There may be less, in some, because of things like London's Congestion
Charge (a form of inner city road pricing), and some town centres are
not wildly residential anyway (The City of London is a classic example),
but that's about it.

However, as he says, European public transport is, by and large, very
good indeed, especially in the big cities. And I certainly don't take my
car into Central London.

I take my bike. Which is where we came in ;-)

Old March 22nd 09, 03:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,misc.transport.urban-transit
Tom Sherman[_2_]

The Older Gentleman wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:

The Older Gentleman wrote:
Miles Bader wrote:

"Vito" writes:
[...]

I believe Jobst flies to Europe to an airport in a major city and then
takes the train to his starting point; the tires on his bicycle
providing insufficient flotation for an Atlantic crossing.

Old March 22nd 09, 07:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,misc.transport.urban-transit
The Older Gentleman[_3_]

Tom Sherman wrote:

I believe Jobst flies to Europe to an airport in a major city and then
takes the train to his starting point; the tires on his bicycle
providing insufficient flotation for an Atlantic crossing.

Heh. And his legs provide insufficient propulsive power, too ;-)

But he's still talking ********.

Old March 22nd 09, 08:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,misc.transport.urban-transit
Tom Keats

In article .uk,
(The Older Gentleman) writes:
Vito wrote:

But a good start would be moving freight off of our highways and back onto
our rail roads.

Oh, that old chestnut. Dream on. If it was that easy and cost-effective
it would have been done.

It actually was done, once upon a time.

if done again, car drivers would raise such a big
stink about abundant trains stopping them at
RR crossings, we'd be back to where we are now.

Boo-hoo, I can't drive my single-occupant car
anywhere 'cuz there's this big goddamned train
in my way, taking goods to a place where I won't
benefit. Life sux. All I can do is whine &
gripe and bellyache. So I will. /That/ should
evoke some political action in my favour.
Screw everybody else. Me, me, me!

Heh.
I just stole Jack May's thunder.
Well, he might have an insignificant
fart left in him. But we all know how
to deal with other people's farts.

As for Vito's statement that: "People seek
comfort and convenience," well, people are
willing to pay for convenience, up to a point.
Especially in North America, where convenience
is de rigeur. But there comes a point where
cost becomes a consideration.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old March 22nd 09, 08:50 PM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles
Jym Dyer

wrote:
NO!!!!! PUBLIC TRANSIT DOES NOT WORK AND NEVER WILL WORK.
MASS TRANSIT IS SO SLOW THAT PEOPLE CAN NOT AFFORD THE WASTE
OF THEIR TIME TO USE IT.

=v= For years we have asked Jack May to support his assertions.
So far, he's posted a few links that haven't supported a thing
(one even contradicted what he said). So it's no wonder that
he's had to resort to shouting.

PUBLIC TRANSIT IS ONLY PUSHED BY TOTAL MORONS THAT HAVE NO
CLUE OF WHAT PEOPLE DEMAND FOR THEIR LIVES IN THIS SOCIETY

Like people who shout at strangers?

=v= A cager living life inside a little compartment naturally
needs to shout so people can hear him through the safety glass.
_Jym_

Idiots on the A1 Artleknock UK 150 August 18th 07 02:00 PM
Idiots Mark Thompson UK 1 May 12th 07 07:02 PM
Idiots heed UK 54 May 4th 06 08:46 AM