Tour suggestions for Great Plains (central USA)

Old March 5th 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Default Tour suggestions for Great Plains (central USA)

So the winter weather is receding and I'm thinking about how to
spend a couple weeks' vacation on a bike in (June?) 2006. I'm on a
three-year plan to cross the US east to west[*]; my only real constraints
this year are to start at home (near Chicago), pedal about a thousand
or 1200 miles, and end up somewhere on an Amtrak line so I can ride home
with my bike (and then ride back next year to go further west!)

That last condition is pretty restrictive; it means I will have
to end up in some bustling metropolis like Williston, North Dakota or
Havre, Montana. Woo-hoo! (I could intersect with a different train line;
then an endpoint in Grand Junction, Colorado or Green River, Utah
would be good. Of course either way I face some awfully rugged terrain
in 2007 but that's a problem for another day.)

So I am looking for interesting riding and accommodations suggestions
across places like Iowa, South Dakota, and neighboring states. It turns
out I will soon have other opportunities for biking to and around
Minneapolis, so I'd just as soon steer clear of there on this trip.
I know that southern South Dakota has some terrific terrain in the
Badlands; I think I would enjoy that kind of ride. I'm accustomed to
never being more than an hour's ride from a gas station or convenience
store, so I'd just as soon not be out in truly remote regions.
I travel on a road bike, not a mountain bike, so gravel roads and worse
are not much of an option. Here in the flatlands I averaged something
like 130 miles/day on my weekly joyrides last year; obviously I
won't be able to keep that up with gear and with mountains, but I
do intend to spend most of each day in the saddle.

I was under the impression that this is the part of the country where
one sometimes finds contemplative communities -- you know, abbeys and
that sort of thing -- where one might be able to spend the night.
I would find them to be interesting stops along the way, and I imagine
they would be more comfortable than a night in a sleeping bag. But I
will travel with a bag and a tent as well as a credit card, should a
Motel 6 appear in view.

At this point in my planning I'm wide open for suggestions.

dave
[*] On the theory that one should always have goals for the future, I
am considering following that up with a west-coast transit, which
makes Seattle a slightly better terminus for 2007 than San Fransciso,
Old March 6th 06, 04:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

I'll try to find and send you my trip report from my 1996 ride from
Portland, OR to Milwaukee, which went through Williston and Havre, among
other places. The route was easy to memorize. We planned to stay on US 2
all the way from Spokane, WA to Brule, WI. In the event, we deviated
somewhat in Idaho and far western MT, but otherwise stayed on 2, which is
mostly near Amtrak.

Old March 6th 06, 05:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Dave Rusin wrote:
So the winter weather is receding and I'm thinking about how to
spend a couple weeks' vacation on a bike in (June?) 2006. I'm on a
three-year plan to cross the US east to west[*]; my only real constraints
this year are to start at home (near Chicago), pedal about a thousand
or 1200 miles, and end up somewhere on an Amtrak line so I can ride home
with my bike (and then ride back next year to go further west!)

SNIP

If climbing the Rockies looks like a bit too much challenge for you,
you might want to consider South Pass. I've crossed the Continental
Divide on most of the major passes, including Trail Rider, Independence,
Loveland, Monarch, and Wolf Creek Passes. They're all spectacular but
steep and high. South Pass is nearly a mile lower than some of those
others, and still has plenty of scenery and history to offer, along with
relatively light car traffic. It stretches your distance a bit, but last
I heard you could still catch a train to Chicago from Salt Lake City or
Provo.
If you decide on that route I might be able to offer further advice. I
live in the SLC area.

Bill, former Chicagoan

__o | Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live.
_`\(,_ |
(_)/ (_) | -- Mark Twain
Old March 6th 06, 12:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

wrote in message
Dave Rusin wrote:
[...]

Marias Pass on US 2, at the south edge of Glacier National Park is about as
low as they come in the US at under 5300 ft. elevation. I've not been over
South Pass but believe it's quite a bit higher. However, you're right that
South Pass has "Oregon Trail" history to it.

Old March 6th 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

look into the warm showers list - warmshowers.org for places to stay. I had
a couple of young ladys stay at my place doing a cross country tour last
summer. Really nice pair with many stories to share

Old March 6th 06, 07:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

There are a couple of possibilities involving Adventure Cycling routes
(http://www.adv-cycling.org/routes/index.cfm). These are picking up
either the Northern Tier route or heading towards St. Louis and picking
up either the Lewis & Clark route or Transamerica route. One advantage
of one of these routes is that AC sells maps that show where services
and accommodations are along the way. As the previous post notes, as
you get further west you are going to get into limited service areas
and these maps are very good for letting you know what is available.

The disadvantage of these routes is that it may be less straight line
to the west coast than you want. You can check out the above web site
and look at the routes and see where they go. Another disadvantage is
that some folks prefer to chart their own path and avoid the standard
routes.

Denis

Old March 6th 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Ron Wallenfang wrote:

Marias Pass on US 2, at the south edge of Glacier National Park is about as
low as they come in the US at under 5300 ft. elevation. I've not been over
South Pass but believe it's quite a bit higher. However, you're right that
South Pass has "Oregon Trail" history to it.

I seem to remember Marias being a pretty nice route grade-wise. Sure
beat the Going-to-the-Sun route crossing back. A bit heavily travelled
when I was there. (I just realized I didn't include Berthoud in my list
before.)
I seem to remember the Montana countryside on my approach to the
Glacier area being very upsie-downsie with narrow, winding roads, but it's
been a long time so I could be off a little.
South Pass is at 7550', but the grade as you approach it is mostly
pretty gentle and even. The route follows the Swee****er River from about
Casper to within just a few miles of the pass. Standing on the pass if it
weren't for the signs you'd barely realize that you were on the high point
of three major pioneer wagon routes.
Both good choices.

Bill

__o |
_`\(,_ |Friends don't let friends shop at Wal-Mart.
(_)/ (_) |

Old March 8th 06, 04:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

"Dave Rusin" wrote in message
[...]

Here is my 1996 Portland to Milwaukee trip report, which may have some
useful info.:

TRIP REPORT

PORTLAND, OREGON TO MILWAUKEE, WISCONSIN

1996

June 13, 1996 Aboard NW Flight 373

This trip had its genesis last summer as a planned coast-to-coast trip.
With only 2 weeks and a weekend available, that would be ambitious.

My wife, Mary Ann was not opposed to the trip, but only if I didn’t travel
alone.

Fortunately, a regular prayer partner outside a Milwaukee abortion clinic,
Francis Dantzman, said he’d come along. Although he’s 64 as of trip time (I’m
52), he’s in good shape and did a lot of riding including a 2-day, 260 mile
trip from Milwaukee to Waupaca, Wisconsin this spring. But it still meant
reducing my ambitions to Portland to Milwaukee, rather than coast to coast.

Francis left by Greyhound Bus Tuesday (2 days ago) and should arrive in
Portland 2 hours before me at 7:30 p.m. tonight. He’s taking both bikes
since they were accepted as baggage by Greyhound at no extra charge. NW
Airlines would have charged me $45 extra to take the bike.

My plans are complicated by a needed business trip to West Palm Beach,
Florida. I hated telling Francis he might be getting stuck alone, probably
in Spokane for 2 days, but he welcomed the news, since he wouldn’t mind a
break after 3 likely days of hard riding.

My baggage weighs 25 ½ lbs. – about twice what I carried for my 1968 and ‘94
Boston to Milwaukee trips and for my 1986 trip around Lake Michigan. The
difference is a function of western geography, with fewer towns and fewer
services available than in the eastern U.S. So I’m carrying a 5 x 7 ft. pup
tent (about 4 ½ lbs.), for nights we can’t find a motel and about 4 lbs. of
food (dried apricots, raisins, prunes, beef sticks and beef jerky, and
Granola bars). The baggage is divided about evenly between a bag that sits
on the back carrier and a back pack. The bike is a TREK 7600 hybrid bike.

Since Francis and I are both compulsive churchgoers, I’ve compiled a list of
churches along the route. (If religion offends you, do not read on. It
will make a few more appearances.)

I’ve obtained state highway maps from Amoco Motor Club and “northern route”
bicycle maps from Adventure Cycling. We’re using their route mainly through
the eastern 2/3 of Montana where they use US 2. The reasons for not using
their route otherwise a (1) to use the Columbia River gorge and avoid
some of the climbing; (2) to avoid some extra mileage on their routes in
Glacier Park and other areas, and (3) my assumption that, east of Williston,
N.D., US 2 is a straighter, flatter road with more services available than
the various side-roads on the bike route map.

I begin this trip in good general shape, having ridden 49,300 miles since
3/1/93, and 17,600 in the last 365 days. My weight at 185 lbs.

Francis has 12 lbs. of gear - a little under half of what I have.

I got to the hotel room about 11:00 and found Francis there with his bike
put together. It was far from a quality hotel but O.K. for the purpose. We
put my bike together in about 20 minutes and were in bed before midnight.

June 14, 1996 – Day 1

Up at 5:00 a.m. We went to an abortion clinic about 2 blocks away and
prayed a Rosary, then found the Cathedral and had breakfast at a nearby
McDonald’s. The weather is clear and refreshingly cool – maybe in the upper
50s.

After breakfast, we went uphill to Washington Park but didn’t have time to
see the Rose Garden. Then we caught the 7:30 Mass at the Cathedral, had our
picture taken outside and were on our way about 8:05.

First stop around 10:20 at mile 39 – around freeway mile post 35. We took
Glisan Ave. to the

east side, then Columbia River Road to the freeway, around mile 19. Then we
picked up a nice tailwind and have been going 17-23 mph since then. The
weather is partly cloudy – around 60° or low 60s - nice. The terrain is a
little like the Danube in the Wachau except less populated. Speed averaged
16.3 from Cathedral to here, including the City portion.

We stopped at the Hood River McDonald’s on Hwy. 30 off the freeway – mileage
for day 67.3 hrs., 17.4 mph since Portland. I had to make several
work-related calls, so the stop stretched to a little over an hour.

Next stop at Exit 87, 2 miles E. of The Dalles at 2:40 p.m. There is still
a nice tailwind, but the clouds disappeared even before Hood River and it’s
gotten steadily hotter, topping out in the low 80s. Though it’s in the
“gorge”, I-84 does have quite a few rolling type hills. The continued
tailwind has made the hills seem minor, though. We’re at 92 miles for day
so far – not bad for an 8:00 a.m. start. I’m putting on sunscreen here, as
I’m beginning to get a bit sunburned, especially on my arms.

East of The Dalles, the geography changed markedly. The hills are the
same – maybe a little less exposed rock – but now they’re bare. You see
trees only along the riverbank or where there are buildings. Obviously, we’ve
gotten into the dry section of Oregon/Washington. There have never been
many farms in this gorge and now there are none.

After another hectic hour plus with the wind, we stopped 118 miles out from
Portland at 4:40 for a break at an exit. It’s hot but perhaps finally
cooling a bit. Average on-bike speed so far – 18 mph. You can tell we’ve
got a tailwind – my E to W trips averaged more like 14-15 mph.

The heat was bothering us so we stopped again at 128 miles out under a
highway overpass and used the rest of our water.

Arrived at Arlington at 6:40 p.m. and stopped for night at the Village Motel
there.

For day: 144 miles

17.7 mph

After “unwinding”, showering, calling home and getting some beverages, it
was after 8:00 when we went to the adjoining restaurant for dinner. Since I
have to fly to WPB on Sunday on business, Mary Ann is sending a “care
package” of fresh riding clothes there, that I’ll exchange for my soiled
ones on Tuesday. So I shouldn’t have to do laundry for several days.

Miscellaneous remarks:

There is a lot of train traffic on both sides of the river. We also saw one
barge going upriver, so the dams and locks do make the river navigable.

The last 50 miles, I saw one herd of cattle and no other evidence of
agriculture. Also there have been no real towns of any size on either side
of the river since The Dalles – and apparently won’t be for a while tomorrow
either.

To bed around 10:00 p.m.

June 15, 1996 – Saturday – Day 2

Up around 4:00 a.m. Put on sunscreen early this time. Drank plenty of
fluids. In retrospect, Francis said he got quite dehydrated yesterday.
Left around 4:50 – sun up around 5:15. Another cloudless day – early
temperatures seem to be around 60°.

East of Arlington, there’s another marked geographical change. The land on
the Oregon side has gotten very flat and the hills on the Washington side
are markedly lower. About 5 miles west of Boardman, we began to see
irrigated farms, and an increased number of trees. By no means is it
forested, but it’s better than late yesterday.

Stopped at Boardman around 6:30 a.m. – 27 miles so far – about 16.4 mph.
The wind today so far is light; what there is is behind us, which is good.

Stopped at Umatilla at highway interchange around 8:55 – 47 miles for day –
left I-84 at Hwy 730, which has been a good road with paved shoulders and
not much traffic. The land is fairly flat and is mostly irrigated farm
land. Temperature at Umatilla was 73°. There are a few clouds, but it’s
mostly clear.

We made a few stops along the road, to take pictures of a canyon, the
Washington State Line. and the Columbia River just before we pulled away
from it, after being next to it since Portland. Mileage to the State line
was 211.

Stopped near Wallula, 6 miles into Washington at junction with Hwy. 12.
There’s a nice little wayside there. We’ve gone 73 miles for far today at
around 16 mph. Winds were neutral for a while, and now we have a tail wind
again.

East of Umatilla a couple of miles we met a 22-year old German from
Stuttgart, who was traveling from Salt Lake City to Seattle. He was very
heavily laden with gear – could have been 100 lbs. I asked how heavy it was
and he answered “keine Ahnung” – no idea. We met another guy going from
Walla Walla to Hermiston. He lives in Walla Walla and gave us some
information about the area, including that there’s an auto show going on in
Dayton that will make it very difficult to find a motel room tonight – we
may need the tent.

We arrived in Walla Walla about 1:45 P.M. – 104 miles for the day so far.
Still around 16 mph. We decided to stay here and catch a 5:00 Mass in Walla
Walla, then ride until near dark and probably pitch the tent. While
waiting, we had a good afternoon Mexican meal at El Sombrero Restaurant in
Walla Walla.

After Mass at Assumption of the B.V.M Church at the east edge of Walla
Walla, we rode 33 miles through Dayton, all 3 of whose hotel/motels were
indeed booked. We stopped for a snack at Dixie. The road rose gradually to
Dixie and sharply for 1 ½ miles after that, then we had 7 ½ miles downhill
into Waitsburg.

The road went uphill again past Dayton. Before reaching the top, I found an
unfenced area behind some trees to pitch the tent. We stopped at about 8:35
p.m. We put tall grass under the tent. We’ll see how soft it is. Heaven
help us if we have a thunderstorm as the drainage would come right through
us.

Daily summary:

145 Miles

15.2 mph

Sunday, June 16, 1996 – Day 3

It was very cool last night – must have gotten down well in the 40s. The
tent was cold! To make a habit of tenting, you’d definitely need a sleeping
bag.

I started out sleeping in shorts and T-shirt and bare feet, using the bag
with my heavy shirt for a pillow. Before long, I was using the heavy shirt
as a “blanket”. Soon after, on went my socks. And well into the night I
got up and put the shirt on, together with my blue jeans.

We got up about 4:20, as soon as there was enough light to see, and spent ½
hour eating a bit, dressing and “breaking camp”. Then we left at 4:50 and
rode 31 miles to Central Ferry on the Snake River.

The roads have been good throughout the State of Washington, so far.
Highway 731 for a few miles, then 12 all the way to Dodge and now 127 all
have paved shoulders. Traffic was light from Dayton to Dodge, and since we
turned off 12 onto 127 has been virtually nonexistent. We saw a coyote
looking at us from the top of a hill and tried to get his picture, but he
left. The big hill coming out of Dayton on which we camped went up another
mile, then after some up and down, there were several miles of downhill,
then level road to Dodge. There was a big uphill at Dodge, then again some
up and down and then a big hill down to the Snake River, where we are as
this is written.

The park where we’ve stopped – 31 miles from where we started and perhaps 35
miles from Dayton is the first place we’ve found with water (but no food).
And there may be no restaurants or stores until Colfax – 65 miles from
Dayton, so we’re eating our own provisions here at the park – bananas, beef
jerky, dried apricots, prunes, granola.

It’s warmed up since 5:00, so I’m changing back to shorts and a T-shirt.

8:37 a.m. – I’ve reached to top of the hill and will dash this note off
quickly, after a 7-mile climb from the Snake River. The sign I just passed
for southbound traffic says “5% grade – 7 miles” which would calculate to
well over a 1200 ft. rise. Anyway, it’s a big hill. I encountered a coyote
about ½ way up who was crossing the road ahead of me. He ran when I yelled.
There’s been little wind all morning and little traffic. Only a few clouds
in the sky. The temperature feels like the low 60s. I’ve found some shade
and write this note there.

10:45 – We finally reached Colfax and a restaurant - 69!! miles from the
last restaurant or store (at Dayton).

I’m eating like a pig here – 3 slices of French toast, sausage, 2 biscuits
with gravy – and a chocolate malt. And lots of water. I thought this kind
of distance between facilities might happen in Montana, but not in
Washington. There were bathrooms and water in the park at the Snake River,
but that was it. Not even a soda machine.

The roads are still good – paved shoulder all the way here. The weather is
good – light wind from the south which gives us either a slight tailwind or
a crosswind. Sunny and probably still in the 60s.

We have 66 miles for the day and about 15 mph. There have been several long
hills. Ever since we left Walla Walla yesterday, there’s been a lot of
them – no river valleys to follow!!

For about 25 miles out of Walla Walla, almost all the land was farmed, even
the hillsides. Since then there have been patches of that, and other areas
where there are farms only in the valleys. In recent miles, a number of
pheasants have been flushed out of the underbrush. I’m somewhat sunburned,
but the sun screen is doing its job.

There was another big hill coming out of Colfax and continued hills, though
smaller ones, most of the way to Spokane. We stopped for lemonade and water
at a highway rest stop and again for sodas about 18 miles from Spokane.

We had no real problem finding the Rodeway Inn in Spokane and checked in
about 5:15 p.m. I have to catch a plane at 8:00 for a business trip that is
not part of this report. Suffice it to say, I caught my plane.

Winds were fairly light and variable – probably more headwinds than
tailwinds. Sky was mostly clear – temperatures perhaps reached the upper
70s.

Daily information: 126 miles

14.8 mph

Winds were fairly light and variable – probably more headwinds than
tailwinds. Sky was mostly clear – temperatures perhaps reached the upper
70s.

3 day mileage: 415 miles

Today was probably the hilliest day I’ve ever ridden so far in my life.
(There would be hillier days in later years.) The day on U.S. Hwy. 20
south of Syracuse in 1968 would be its rival. Those hills were steeper than
today’s, but not as long.

June 20, 1996 – Day 4

Returned from WPB around 11:20 p.m. 6/19 - three days later rather than
two. That extra day lost will hurt, as I have to be back in Milwaukee for a
July 2 work commitment.

The temperatures in early a.m. were in the mid 40s – sky clear and light
winds. The hills are markedly less severe so far than they were on Sunday.
We stopped at 7:30 around 28 miles out – speed around 14.5 mph.

Stopped around 9:15 at Newport – 47 miles for day so far – still a little
under 15 mph. Temperatures probably in the 50s, not very hilly – although
there was one long though not very steep hill coming up from Elk.

The geography since Spokane has changed. We’ve definitely re-entered
forestland. It looks much like the north woods of Wisconsin, except the
hills are higher. There are also lake and recreation areas around. Newport
is practically at the Idaho border so we should get there within a few
minutes of leaving here.

Since the last stop, we’ve begun to be passed by the logging trucks that
bike-riders sometimes complain about on the internet.

We passed the Idaho line around mile 50 for the day but neither of us saw a
sign. From the Idaho line to Sandpoint the highway follows the Pend d’
Oreille (Ear-ring ???) River, so while there are hills where it veers away,
they aren’t too bad. There was road construction for several miles, but we
got through with no problem.

The highway took a decided turn for the worse after mile post 20. There is
no longer a paved shoulder apron for the first time on the trip. And there
are quite a few trucks.

Our lunch stop is at mile 79 for the day – at 12:20 p.m. Exactly 15 mph for
travel on the bike. Temperatures are perhaps near 70°. Winds are light and
variable. It’s mostly sunny – we put on sunscreen part way through the last
stretch.

Because of questionable road conditions the last 10 miles, we “asked around”
about what route to take and decided to switch to the Bike Centennial route
from here to Libby, taking SR 200 and Montana 56, rather than U.S. 2.

Sandpoint is a tourist/recreation area as the Pend Oreille River becomes a
big lake.

After taking route 200 out of Sandpoint, we rode until 3:15, and stopped for
refreshments at Clark Fork, Idaho a few miles short of the Montana line.
106 miles for the day – 15 mph – temperature around 70° - light and variable
winds.

The road has been consistently near the Pend Oreille Lake and reasonably
level. However, we have now pulled away from the lake and are near the Fork
River.

After the stop at Clark Fork, we followed the Bike Centennial route across
the river to an unusual back road. At the cost of a few extra miles and a
little more climbing, we saw just spectacular scenery and with little
traffic. There was a wooden plank bridge, on which I almost lost control of
the bike when the wheel got between 2 planks (which are parallel rather than
perpendicular to the direction of travel. We stopped near the Hwy. 20/56
junction 9 miles into Montana at 6:30 MST (a one hour time change). 127
miles – still about 15 mph for time on bike – temperature is pleasant, still
light and full sunlight.

Because of the side road we were on, there was no sign marking the
Idaho/Montana State line. A close look at the map shows our present route
is longer than the originally planned route through Bonner’s Ferry. It
appears we’ll have to camp tonight as we won’t come near to making Libby and
there is no indication of any motels short of there.

We stopped around 9:00 p.m. in National forest land about 16 miles north of
Hwy. 200 on Hwy. 56. The last part of the trip was along a small river
valley surrounded by high hills. The road itself was slightly hilly. We
gathered ferns and weeks for a “mattress” and pitched our tent. I’m
dressing warmer tonight, though the weather’s OK at the moment. I have my
long sleeved shirt, long pants and gloves on, and am leaving my shoes and
socks on.It’s still light enough to have written this note:

Mileage for day: 146

Average speed: 14.8

Miles in Oregon – 211

Miles in Washington – 254

Miles in Idaho – 66

Miles in Montana to date – 30

Total for trip – 561

June 21, 1996 – Day 5

Another cold night. I don’t know our temperature , but in Kalispell, it was
31°. The Libby radio also said there was frost in the area. In any event,
I had my rain jacket on over my long sleeved shirt and was barely warm
enough. Our juice was nice and cold, at least. The paper indicates that
Logan Pass is just due to open today.

We got up about 4:45 a.m. and were on the road around 5:15. Following a
short stop at a rest station at the intersection of 56 and 2, we got to
Libby around 7:45 – 33 miles for day, 14.5 mph. The wind is out of the
east, ugh! And of moderate strength. Yesterday’s variable winds were also
more east than anything. Where are our prevailing westerlies??? From here
it’s 89 miles to Kalispell, which is the next town – the longest stretch on
the whole trip with no towns on the map. At Libby, we had a large breakfast
at McDonalds. Francis had 4 eggs and pancakes. I had pancakes, sausage, 2
sausage biscuits and a milk shake.

We stopped around 10:45 at mile 57 for the day – about 1/4 the way from
Libby to Kalispell. No service facilities yet, so I had water and some
dried apricots. We’re not far from where we were yesterday right after
supper at Hwys. 200 and 56. Instead of being able to cross the mountains,
though, we went 35 miles straight north and have been going southeast since
then.

Sunny and temperature about 60° - light wind from east.

We found a restaurant/gas station/mini grocery/bar/amusement center about 41
miles from Libby. I bought a 6-pack of soda and have had 4 cans so far.

There is a girl here from Hamburg, Germany, who has lived 6 months in
Minnesota, and is now biking to Seattle to live! No job, etc. She’s
carrying a lot of gear and sleeping along the road with tent and sleeping
bag. Her English is excellent. She got rides part of the way across
eastern Montana a/c headwinds were too strong. I hope we catch some (west)
winds like that. We didn’t have it today. The wind is still from the east.

The present route is consistently hilly – not as bad as eastern Washington,
but enough to retard our speed quite a bit.

We stopped briefly on the road around mile 90 for the day and again now
(around 4:30) at mile 103 for the day – about 21 miles short of Kalispell –
we’re at a roadside private campground, with accompanying store and
laundromat, etc.

The weather has turned threatening and we’re told there’s rain in Kalispell.
This has been a tough day’s ride, with constant hills and a headwind, which
has increased since it clouded up. We stopped once more about 5 miles from
Kalispell. The last 21 miles was “easy” – either downhill or level with
only a couple short uphills. So after a lot of climbing earlier, at least we
finished well. We had time to go to the next town 15 miles further along
but decided to stop in Kalispell around 6:40 p.m. or so.

I shaved and took a good bath, since we had a room with a bathtub, which was
welcome. Then while Francis cleaned up, I went to a laundromat to get our
clothes cleaned well for a change.

Francis rode in my “draft” the last 21 miles, which helped him with the
headwinds. It never did rain today.

Francis surprised me by showing interest in planning to tent tomorrow – a
last resort for me.

I did nothing to encourage the idea.

U.S. 2 has variable conditions. Before Libby it had no paved shoulders.
There were parts later with good paved aprons and others with none, and a
few miles of very rough roads.

Daily summary: 126 miles

14.0 mph

Trip total: 687; average per day 137.4

June 22, 1996 – Day 6

We “overslept” until 6:00 a.m. – no huge problem. It’s rainy anyway, though
it’s a light rain. So we’ve come next door to Finnegan’s to have breakfast
before leaving. The forecast is for occasional rain all day and also for
headwinds.

Left Kalispell around 7:00 and got to West Glacier at 9:40. Light rain all
the way. Winds ranged from calm to moderate north-east (head wind again).

The road was flat and multi-lane with paved shoulder from Kalispell to
Columbia Falls. After Columbia Falls, it was up and down, mostly up, but no
real serious grades. From Columbia Falls to Hungry Horse the road is 2 lane
with no paved apron. Then there’s a bike path for a few miles around Hungry
Horse. After that, there was a paved apron on the side of a two-lane road.
An encouraging sign is that a train just went by. Where trains go, the
grades usually aren’t too serious.

Stopped at 12:10 p.m. for lunch at the “Halfway House” which is actually a
couple miles short of halfway between West Glacier and East Glacier. We
have 58 miles for the day and about 30 to go to East Glacier.

It’s been threatening rain and gloomy all the way, although after our stop
at West Glacier there was little actual rain until about ½ mile before this
stop. Now there’s a definite rain while we’re here.

There have been a few flat stretches – one for several miles, but mostly it’s
still up and down with a predominance of “up”.

The train tracks had the benefit of at least 2 tunnels that we did not. We
saw 2 freight trains and an Amtrack – all going east. The middle fork of
the Flathead River is near the road, and there’s nice consistent rapids on
it. Raft companies offer trips down the river that look like they’d be fun.
Besides the rain and gloom, it’s cold – maybe around 50°.

I got to Marias Pass around 2:35 and Francis shortly afterward. It isn’t
impressively marked. There was a long, long, long though not very steep
uphill stretch to get to it. The elevation is marked at 5,216 ft. – a low
crossing of the continental divide. It frequently seemed like surely we’d
be there on the next turn but there was always another turn after that. The
“reality check” came from the size of the nearby stream cascading west from
the top. Until the end, there was too much water for us to be near the
divide. The pass was at mile 76 for the day – 44 miles from West Glacier.

We got to East Glacier on time for 4:00 Mass. The weather is still cold and
dismal, though it at least quit raining as of about 3:45 or so. I have a
bit of a quandary and hesitate to wear my long sleeve shirt if there’s any
chance we’ll be tenting, because I’ll sweat it up and it won’t be warm
enough at night. But it’s quite cold without it, at least until I get going
well. The rain coat keeps me warm enough on the road but when we stop, my
T-shirt is sweated up and I’m cold in the restaurant. But that’s about the
best option.

We rode on to Browning and quit for the evening around 7:00 – quite a bit of
daylight left but the hills and rain and cold have taken their toll. Still
facing a headwind, too. I went out and mailed postcards and got a few
groceries. We stayed in a motel!

The road east from East Glacier had a paved shoulder apron most of the way
to Browning.

After Marias Pass, the geography changed dramatically. Within a few miles,
it was all prairie instead of forest. Even in Browning, there were
strikingly few trees in the yards. There were still hills but they didn’t
loom over the roadway anymore. Rather, they’re rolling hills instead of
mountains.

Daily Total: 104 Miles

13.1 mph

As a postscript for Saturday: No logging trucks after Kalispell – they must
take a different route.

Sunday, June 23, 1996 – Day 7

Left around 5:45 and rode to Cut Bank – 34 miles, around 15.5 mph. We had
breakfast at McDonalds in Cut Bank. Cold – probably low 40s – still
gloomy – it had rained and the roads were wet, but no active rain.

The road has no paved shoulder apron but traffic was very light. Wind is
light northerly. This is a farm and ranch area – some irrigated. The road
is mostly flat, some small hills just out of Browning and a bigger one
coming into Cut Bank – but nothing like yesterday.

I saw trees mostly around the farms in the form of elaborate wind breaks to
guard against fierce west winds. There are low shrubs, backed up by higher
shrubs and then by trees. But where’s the west wind that these windbreaks
are to guard against????

On the way into Cut Bank, we met a west-bound rider bound for Seattle. He
was from Fargo, North Dakota and had taken the train to Shelby, Montana, 25
miles from here, so he was just starting his ride.

Dennis Smith and Nada Lingel are two east-bound riders going coast to coast,
from Washington to Bar Harbor, Maine on the Bike Centennial Route. They
stayed last night at Cut Bank. I spotted them as we pulled out of Cut Bank
and caught up and visited a couple minutes. We encountered them again in
Shelby and visited awhile at the McDonalds there.

Stopped at mile 58 – in Shelby. Temperature in Shelby is 51°, finally up
some from earlier. The road from Cut Bank to Shelby is better than before
Cut Bank, mostly paved aprons of 3 feet or so.

After Shelby the shoulders are “grooved”, which is good for motorists
falling asleep but bad for bike riders. The road remains quite flat with a
lot of nearby farms and ranches – grazing, and wheat mostly.

Stopped at mile 78 for lunch, 24 miles short of Chester. The hostess, Patty
(and Clint) Leslie, asks all guests to enter their names, and bike riders
include an asterisk. Some people from Madison passed through 2 days ago,
one or both with a recumbent. Maybe we’ll catch them. While here, the
couple mentioned above (Smith and Lingel) passed by on their way to Chester.
We had pizza here and juice.

The skies are still cloudy but with a few breaks now and then. Temperatures
still cool – perhaps in the 50s. Winds still very light and from north to
northeast – still looking for our tailwind.

Speed still around 15 ½ mph for the day. The “Sweet Grass Hills” have been
visible to the north for many miles. The Leslies say those hills were
sacred to the local Indian tribes.

Reached Chester around 2:40 p.m. 103 miles for day – 16 mph. Wind is still
light and northeast. Plenty of trains on the main Burlington Northern Route
adjacent to this highway – many truck trailers, which perhaps helps explain
why there aren’t too many trucks on this highway.

The skies are gradually clearing from the south and the sun is now out part
of the time. It’s still cool, though, maybe about 60°.

The Sweet Grass Hills are still very visible to the north – near the
Canadian border. They have to be visible for a good 100 miles.

Stopped at 5:30 at Hingham. 129 miles for day. Conditions now mostly
sunny. Still light north winds. The road after Chester widened. There’s
been almost a full width of paved shoulder, though the surface is a bit
rough. The temperature has climbed to perhaps the upper 60s.

I caught up with a family of 4 – husband, wife and 2 teenagers, going from
coast to coast – ending in New York City. They’re heavily loaded and
camping most nights, though they stayed in a motel in Shelby last night on
account of the miserable weather.

Daily Totals: 165 miles

Speed 16.0 mph

We had a couple of short “on the road” stops and quit for the night around
9:00 in Havre, Montana. The road from Hingham to Havre was good – about 6
feet of paved shoulder apron, 3 feet of which was grooved, leaving room for
bicycles to ride outside the traffic lanes but not in the groove.

Monday, June 24, 1996 – Day 8

Worst riding of the trip so far – by far – fierce east wind and rainy. We
left Havre at 6:00 a.m., and didn’t get to Chinook – 21 + miles away until
8:15 or later – 9 ½ mph.

Stopped for lunch in Harlem at 12:45 – continued brutal head winds. Francis
is especially bothered by it – 43 miles – 9-9 ½ mph. With the wind as bad
as it is, you hardly notice the road, but it’s not as good as before Havre.
Some has a paved shoulder; some does not. Traffic seemed heavier. The rain
pretty much ended after Chinook. The wind is blowing in warm rather than
cold air. It’s not nearly as cold as on recent mornings. But what a
horrible price to pay with the wind!

By late afternoon, the winds had diminished slightly, enough that we could
maintain a pace of about 13-14 mph for awhile. It helped that after some
experimentation, Francis could stay behind me protected in part by my
breaking the wind. Part of the experimentation was my keeping an eye on
where he was. We’re not experienced at drafting.

We stopped at Dotson – mile 72 for the day around 5:00 p.m. The roads since
Harlem have been excellent – wide paved shoulders and few hills. It’s just
the wind that’s the problem. Skies are mostly cloudy. Temperature probably
in the 70s.

At a stop in the roadside halfway from Harlem to Dodson, I fell asleep for
awhile – too much in a hurry to get going this morning, evidently, and to no
good end. While we’re eating in Dodson, it has started raining again – that
kind of day!!

We arrived at Malta in threatening weather a little after 7:00 p.m. and didn’t
try to ride further.

Daily Total: 90 miles

10.4 average speed

Maximum speed: 18.7 (that about says it all)

The wind – usually 30 or more mph

Tuesday, June 25, 1996 – Day 9

Had breakfast in Malta and left around 6:39. Traveled 29 miles to Saco for
a snack, arriving around 8:20. Wind is light westerly – lovely. Roads wet
and puddles from rain last night. We hit a few drops of lingering rain but
there’s also some blue in the sky. Temperatu 55° in Malta - 60° in
Saco. Mosquitoes are bad since Dodson or so.

As we were about to leave Saco, we encountered Justin Schaefer (MUHS ’90)
and Kathy Hag, now living in Madison. They had signed in at the Leslies’ a
couple days ahead of us. They are riding recumbents. They had stayed in
Saco last night, having made only 28 miles yesterday from Malta to Saco in
the big headwinds (6-1/2 mph). After hearing that, we didn’t feel so bad
about our 90 mile, 10.4 mph day.

From Saco to Glasgow, there was about 15 miles (of 43) that had
construction. We stopped for a short break there by an “abandoned” road
compressor. That was the only place we could sit with no mud. After the
construction zone, we were “cruisin’ on the high line” (US 2 is called the
“high line” as it’s the northern-most through road in eastern Montana), –
the visions I had of the trip before it started, with a nice moderate tail
wind. On one stretch, I was never under 20 mph for over 7 miles – and
Francis pulled into Glasgow just 2 ½ minutes behind me, so he was moving
along, too.

We got to Glasgow around 11:55. 71 miles for day – 17+ mph average.

After lunch in Pizza Hut, a short trip to the post office to mail used film
home, we continued around 12:55. Temperature in Glasgow was 73° East of
Glasgow, the winds were more northerly than westerly but still more help
than a hindrance. The road had a couple of feet of paved shoulder, but
traffic is fairly light so there’s no problem.

We stopped for the evening at Wolf Point – wind had shifted to the northeast
so it was in our face again.

Mileage for day w/local riding: 127

Speed: 16.4

Mileage for trip: 1173

Wednesday, June 26, 1996 – Day 10

I started out alone at 4:30 a.m. I had to pick up the pace to get back to
Milwaukee for a July 2 business commitment. Francis will either take the
train home (as I encouraged) or rest a day and try to proceed at a reduced
pace. [In the event, he kept biking, getting to Wisconsin around July 6.]

Rode until 8:30 and stopped for breakfast in Culbertson – 54 miles, 13 ½
mph. Furious headwinds for first 35 miles - so bad that for a couple of
miles I couldn’t hold the gear (3-4) I used to climb Marias Pass. Also
steady rain the first 15 miles and a little on and off rain after that. The
last 20 miles into Culbertson is the hilliest since the mountains.

Hit North Dakota line at 10:36 a.m., at 77 miles for day

Stopped for lunch at Williston, North Dakota at noon. Continued moderate
headwinds all the way. 98 miles for day – 14 mph. Road was flat for 15
miles from Culbertson to Bairsville. Then the rolling hills resumed like
those before Culbertson. Conditions on U.S. 2 today have been mostly good.
Excellent so far in North Dakota (20 miles) with wide paved shoulders.
Montana usually had narrow paved shoulders, sometimes wide, sometimes none.

Stopped for a sandwich at 132 miles for day at Ray. About 13 ½ mph for day.
Continued headwinds, fairly brisk, which I’ve battled all day except for 13
miles riding north out of Williston, when I had a cross-wind. The wind has
been straight out of the east all afternoon. Continued rolling hills. The
road pavement is good, with wide paved shoulders.

Other than the wind, the weather is overcast and 70ish. The 90s had been
predicted. It’s nowhere near that. We’re back on Central Standard Time in
N.D. so its 4:40 as I write.

Rode until a little after 8:00 p.m. and stopped at a motel in Stanley –
continued headwinds until the end. Road is good – usually with a paved
shoulder. There were a lot of rolling hills and a couple of longer climbs.

Mileage for day: 169.2

13.3 mph

Thursday, June 27, 1996 – Day 11

Left around 5:30 a.m. Most of the hour difference from yesterday is the
time change to Central but if I were on the ball, I could have gotten out
10-15 minutes sooner. The weather was in the mid-upper 60s, rising to the
low 80s by the time I got to Minot. The winds started out southeast (more
headwind) but after an hour they shifted south and were only a factor when
the road had a southerly component. As a result, I made 14 miles the first
hour and over 16 after that before my first stop.

The roads were good throughout this stretch. It got markedly less hilly
about 25 miles west of Minot. Stopped east of Minot to eat at around 9:15.
Mileage for day 61 so far, speed 16-161/2 mph.

Stopped in Towner at 12:15 to have lunch, mail back some extra gear and
lounge around a bit. Temperature is well into the 90s, winds are brisk from
south. Roads since Minot are 4-lanes – no problem. Mileage: 102 @ 16 1/2+
mph.

From Towner to Rugby, I slowed up a/c the heat. Also, the wind is now a bit
east of south, based on the flags at Rugby. It figures!! I crashed at the
DQ in Rugby at 2:20 p.m. It’s hot!!

After resting 50 minutes in the DQ, I went 9 miles and stopped for 10 or so
minutes at a wayside. Then I went about 18 miles and stopped at Leeds at
5:15 – mile 149. Speed for day around 16. Still not riding hard on account
of the heat, which is still bad as of 5:15.

East of Rugby the geography begins to change – obviously there must be more
rainfall. There are wetland wildlife areas along the roadway and you begin
to see wood lots around the farms.

The land all the way from Minot to Minnesota is remarkably flat.

Ended day at Devil’s Lake –out of energy around 8:00. Mileage for day 181;
speed 15.7.

Friday, June 28, 1996 – Day 12

Left at 5:15 a.m. Temperature 75. Wind – SSW 10 or so. Rode 75 miles to
near Grand Forks – my longest single sitting of the trip. Rained most of
the way and odometer went out – but not complaining, since the rain controls
the heat and keeps away the sunburn. Stopped at 9:40 – around 17 mph so
far.

My back tire was bald and getting a little out of round, so I called ahead
and located a bike shop in Grand Forks, one hour up the road. The
“roundness” problem was that the rim was cracked. George LaFave of Scheel’s
was very helpful, driving me over to his competitor’s shop to get a
compatible rim. I was back on my way after about a 1 ¼ hour delay. Crossed
into Minnesota – mile 95 for day – at around 1:00 p.m. and stopped for lunch
at Pizza Hut in East Grand Forks.

The sun is out and the temperature rising – the wind is still out of the
south..

I realized here that I left my other “papers” bag, including two $50
traveler’s checks, my prayer book, and my map of Wisconsin. I’ll have to
watch spending more carefully and/or use credit cards.

Stopped in Crookston around 3:30 p.m. and got a $150 cash advance on a
credit card. Then stopped to cool off – temperature is 93°. About 10 miles
of headwinds when road went S.W. and then back to mainly crosswinds.

Stopped at about 5:20 at the DQ in Morton. 146 miles so far – about 16 mph.
Wind is now SSW, tail wind (slight) from Crookston for 14 miles, then a
cross wind again. Still very hot and humid. I’m consuming huge amounts of
fluids – probably over 8 quarts so far today. More water than other days.
I even guzzled a liter of bottled water at Crookston. Carbonated sodas have
gotten less attractive. The taste and fizz gets almost revolting when used
as much as I do in this heat.

After a short stop at a wayside I stopped for the night at Bagley,
Minnesota. Temperature at Fosston was still 90° at 7:15 – winds diminished
late in the day. Rolling hills resumed after Fosston.

Miles for day: 186

Speed: about 16 mph

After Fosston, the lush lowland farms of the Red River Valley are gradually
changing into lake country.

Saturday, June 29, 1996 – Day 13

Left at 4:50 a.m. and rode 83 miles to Deer River, arriving at 9:30 a.m. –
18+ mph. Temperature upper 60s perhaps. Light tail wind !!!!

Accident about 20 miles out of Bagley, near Bemidji. Going about 20 mph, I
hit a pot hole that was covered by a puddle and went sprawling. Damages:
Skinned right knee – skinned right forearm, scratches on right upper arm and
left hand – and shattered ego. The strap on the right pedal of the bike
came loose and I removed it. Odometer didn’t work for 40 miles after that.
Why??

Soon after that I crossed a little brook optimistically named the
Mississippi River – which it is. The head waters are near here.

Flat rear tire at mile 120. Spent 1/2 hour putting on new tube. No spare
now.

Stopped to eat in Floodwood. Reached Superior, Wisconsin at 4:40 – Mile 180
for day.

Went to 5:30 Mass in Superior – A rain squall hit just as I was leaving so I
went to a nearby Burger King for awhile.

Met 3 bikers going east from Ontario to Vancouver, B.C.

Stopped at a motel at Brule at 9:00. I had another flat there. The tire is
the problem. It has a defect that I tried to patch as best I could, plus I
reduced the air pressure to 40 psi. If I can’t solve that problem, patching
the tubes (as I did) won’t help. I also washed my “wounds” from this
morning’s accident. I’ll throw away the t-shirt and shorts I wore this
morning as they’re both ripped a little.

Mileage for day: 214

Speed: About 18 until 6:00 p.m., then slower.

Most of my toiletries are ruined. The iodine bottle broke open and it’s all
over.

Sunday, June 30, 1996 – Day 14

Left around 4:10 a.m. Rode 42 miles to Hayward at 15 mph and had breakfast
at McDonalds there. Light winds from west (neutral) Quite a few hills.
Hardly any traffic. I met my first car after 25 miles. Many deer on road
and saw one fox!

Stopped in Radisson at Mile 71 for a snack and for 9:30 Mass at Sacred Heart
Church there.

From Radisson, I then rode 29 miles to Ladysmith (mile 100 for day) at a
much brisker pace (18 mph?) The hills aren’t as many or as steep or as high
as before Radisson, and a helpful wind (on balance) has come up.

Stopped on the roadside a couple of times for water and raisins I had along.
Then stopped around 5:00 p.m. in Fairchild (Eau Claire County) at a tavern
for sandwiches for supper. Mileage 170 – average speed perhaps a smidgeon
over 16. At Augusta (mile 160) the road turned S.E. (with a tailwind, if I
have the energy to take advantage of it.)

Rode until 9:15. Stopped for night at Tomah. 225 miles for day; 16.2 mph.

Mileage for trip: 2148

Monday, July 1, 1996 – Day 15

Left at 4:40 – stopped after 10 miles. to eat the rest of my raisins and
drink some water. Stopped again at 9:00 and ate at the Pick & Save in
Portage – 69 miles/16 mph.

Another stopp at a wayside with a water pump around mile 85. The water was
good. Weather is very warm (upper 80s) and sunny – light winds from west.

Stopped for a lunch around 11:30 at Columbus – 96 miles – then rode through
to Hartford except for one shop stop. The drumlins of Dodge County aren’t
big hills, but they’re constant and a reminder it’s hillier at home than
most places I’ve been. From Columbus on I’m within range of my day trips
from home and no longer noticing the terrain.

Stopped at Hartford around 2:30, and “coming on in” to Germantown, across
the Kettle Moraine.

Home there around 4:10 p.m.

152 miles for day

2,300 even for trip – 153 average per day.

Old March 9th 06, 02:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 03:48:29 GMT, "Ron Wallenfang"
wrote:

Here is my 1996 Portland to Milwaukee trip report, which may have some
useful info.:

TRIP REPORT

PORTLAND, OREGON TO MILWAUKEE, WISCONSIN

1996

Wednesday, June 26, 1996 – Day 10

I started out alone at 4:30 a.m. I had to pick up the pace to get back to
Milwaukee for a July 2 business commitment. Francis will either take the
train home (as I encouraged) or rest a day and try to proceed at a reduced
pace. [In the event, he kept biking, getting to Wisconsin around July 6.]

Monday, July 1, 1996 – Day 15

Home there around 4:10 p.m.

I think I can guess the answer from some of your previous posts, but -
How did you get to work the next day?

(Thanks for the re-post!)

Pat
Email address works as is.

L.A. Confidential Excerpt 'Dis Guy Racing 3 October 10th 04 05:31 AM
Tour du Central Belt David Martin UK 2 August 3rd 04 03:54 PM
Lament............. Davey Crockett Racing 4 April 10th 04 01:56 PM