"Champion" Mountain Biker Breaks His Neck

Old January 23rd 07, 04:09 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

Default "Champion" Mountain Biker Breaks His Neck

Meanwhile, mountain bikers continue to claim that their sport is
healthful and beneficial. In reality, it's an extreme sport that
encourages taking idiotic risks to prove their "manhood" or
"womanhood".

Mike

Cycling champ breaks neck downhill skiingBrother describes John Fisher
as an 'expert' skier.By Marek Warszawski / The Fresno Bee01/22/07
05:01:22

A three-time national mountain biking champion from Oakhurst broke his
neck in a downhill skiing accident Saturday at Sierra Summit.

John Fisher, 42, fractured a cervical vertebrae as a result of a
slow-speed crash near the bottom of the mountain while on his way to
meet three family members for lunch, his brother said.

Mark Fisher said his brother was airlifted to University Medical
Center in Fresno, where he remains in intensive care.

"It's just a freak thing," Mark Fisher said in a telephone interview
Sunday. "He even told the Ski Patrol: 'I can't believe I got so hurt
going so slow.' But he didn't know who he was either.

"Over 24 hours later, I'm still blown away this happened," Mark Fisher
added.

A fixture in the local cycling community, John Fisher grew up in
Fresno and Clovis and attended Clovis West High.

Before Fisher traveled to the World Mountain Biking Championships in
British Columbia last summer, friends held two fundraisers to help
cover his expenses. A three-time downhill national champion in the
expert class, Fisher would go on to finish second at the worlds.

Mark Fisher described his brother as an "expert" skier who has been
visiting Sierra Summit for decades.

Fisher lost all feeling and movement in his body as a result of the
accident but regained limited movement in his arms Sunday, his brother
said.

"All we can do right now is pray for him," Mark Fisher said. "It could
get better or it could get worse."
The reporter can be reachedat or(559) 441-6218.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old January 23rd 07, 04:20 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Jason

Mike Vandeman wrote:
Meanwhile, mountain bikers continue to claim that their sport is
healthful and beneficial. In reality, it's an extreme sport that
encourages taking idiotic risks to prove their "manhood" or
"womanhood".

Mike

I feel I should point out you pathetic waste of space that this poor
person died skiing and not mountain biking. I know that you're
functionally illiterate so it's not surprising that you missed that.
Old January 23rd 07, 08:44 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Beej

On Jan 23, 8:09 am, Mike Vandeman wrote:
A three-time national mountain biking champion from Oakhurst broke his
neck in a downhill skiing accident Saturday at Sierra Summit.

http://www.townonline.com/somerville...96000198623231

Dedicated environmentalist killed in car crash

Friends and co-workers remember Donald Malloy as a skilled carpenter, a
great athlete, a dedicated environmentalist and an all around great
guy.

Malloy died Dec. 28, 2006, from injuries sustained in a car crash on
Dec. 10 in Mobile, Ala. He was 55.

I dunno... could be environmentalism is kinda dangerous...

-Beej

Old January 23rd 07, 09:57 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
cc

Beej wrote:
On Jan 23, 8:09 am, Mike Vandeman wrote:
A three-time national mountain biking champion from Oakhurst broke his
neck in a downhill skiing accident Saturday at Sierra Summit.

http://www.townonline.com/somerville...96000198623231

Dedicated environmentalist killed in car crash

Friends and co-workers remember Donald Malloy as a skilled carpenter, a
great athlete, a dedicated environmentalist and an all around great
guy.

Malloy died Dec. 28, 2006, from injuries sustained in a car crash on
Dec. 10 in Mobile, Ala. He was 55.

I dunno... could be environmentalism is kinda dangerous...

-Beej

Not dangerous enough. MV makes me feel guilty for wishing harm upon
another person . . not something I'm used to.
Old January 25th 07, 09:13 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
S Curtiss

Default Hiker injured - paralized

Mike gives MORE proof that hiking and off-road cycling have similar impact.

Compare his post of a cyclist injured while skiing to this hiker's injury.

"This has changed too much recently. I was an avid golfer, skier, hiker,
camper. Spending time outdoors was my favorite. We will see what comes up
later. These changes come directly from me having a skiing accident last
year which has left me with a broken back at T7-8."

It seems, mikey, that skiing injuries are hardly limited to off-road
cyclists.

Old January 25th 07, 09:21 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Jeff Strickland

In your inane attempt to cast aspersions on mountain biking, you failed to
notice that the sport that resulted in injury was DOWNHILL SKIING -- which
begs the question, is there a sport called uphill skiing? Mountain biking
might be dangerous, but this report is not an example.

When you find a report of a mountain bike enthusiast getting hurt while
riding his mountain bike, then you can feel free to make your inane little
remarks. But, until that time, you might as well report, "Man that likes
cookies is dead from his injuries," never mentioning that his injuries had
nothing to do with cookies.

Calling you a dumb **** does a disservice to ****.

[...]

Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are
fond of!

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Old January 25th 07, 09:45 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
cc

Not to mention dumb ****s.
Old January 26th 07, 04:27 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

On 23 Jan 2007 12:44:12 -0800, "Beej" wrote:

On Jan 23, 8:09 am, Mike Vandeman wrote:
A three-time national mountain biking champion from Oakhurst broke his
neck in a downhill skiing accident Saturday at Sierra Summit.

http://www.townonline.com/somerville...96000198623231

Dedicated environmentalist killed in car crash

Impossible. Environmentalists don't drive.

Old January 26th 07, 08:58 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
S Curtiss

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message
On 23 Jan 2007 12:44:12 -0800, "Beej" wrote:

On Jan 23, 8:09 am, Mike Vandeman wrote:
A three-time national mountain biking champion from Oakhurst broke his
neck in a downhill skiing accident Saturday at Sierra Summit.

http://www.townonline.com/somerville...96000198623231

Dedicated environmentalist killed in car crash

Impossible. Environmentalists don't drive.

Since he was an environmentalist and he did die in a car crash according to
the FACTS presented...
Your own logic states the "mountain biking champion" could not have died in
a skiing accident because mountain bikers do not ski.

Simple denial of ALL facts not falling neatly into your OPINIONS. Obvious
and PATHETIC.