Pr0n fix

Old August 27th 07, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Don Whybrow

Default Pr0n fix

A while ago, Mr W of this parish let me borrow one of his fixed wheel
steeds to give it a try. On the back of this I started on a conversion
project using a spare frame I have with track ends. This has stalled a
bit as I have a minor problem that I may start a separate thread for.

A number of factors came together that cleared the way to getting a new
bike on the Cycle to Work scheme. My employer uses Halfords, but we can
source the bikes from anywhere. I had been secretly lusting after a
Pearson Touche for a while and so, last Wednesday night I finally picked
it up, still in a box from the local Halfords and put it together. I
rode it on the commute on Thursday & Friday and the 48x18 (72inch)
gearing was about right, making me spin a bit more than I was
comfortable with on the descents (or apply the brakes/resistance) and
getting me out of the saddle on the climbs.

Kitchen shot:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1137/...6ca2776e_b.jpg

Paint/Name detail:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1243/...cf34dc78_b.jpg

I vaguely remember hearing that fixer photo's should be taken
overlooking water. As I had today off, but my wife and children are at
work & school, I thought a little ride to the sea and back was called
for. Stopping off at various places along the way.

Scottish Parliament (idea thanks to CityCycling Flickr image by
blackpuddinonnabike):
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1428/...1ff3db92_b.jpg

The Royal Yacht Britannia:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1152/...a3dd69c8_b.jpg

Scottish Executive:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1290/...a38f0300_b.jpg

Portobello Promenade/Beach:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1037/...e5287a93_b.jpg

Dunsapie Loch (Arthur's Seat):
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1150/...bb4a4706_b.jpg

Duddingston Loch:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1402/...275cdc67_b.jpg

The route (as planned)
http://www.toporoute.com/cgi-bin/get...DVTYGUWLRJDSCK

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

If you're happy and you know it, clunk your chains.
Old August 27th 07, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Don Whybrow

Don Whybrow wrote:

Kitchen shot:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1137/...6ca2776e_b.jpg

I forgot to add ...
For the weight weenies out there, after taking this photo I weighed the
bike and it came to 8.8kg

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

"I've noticed that the press tends to be quite accurate, except
when they're writing on a subject I know something about."
(Keith F. Lynch)
Old August 27th 07, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Duncan Smith

Kitchen shot:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1137/...6ca2776e_b.jpg

I forgot to add ...
For the weight weenies out there, after taking this photo I weighed the
bike and it came to 8.8kg

Very nice too! I see a lot of fixies with their bars upturned like
yours. Is that a co-incdence, does it make for a mor relaxed riding
position?

Regards,

Duncan

Old August 27th 07, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Zog The Undeniable

Don Whybrow wrote:

Kitchen shot:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1137/...6ca2776e_b.jpg

Chain looks a bit slack ;-)
Old August 27th 07, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kenneth MacKenzie

Don Whybrow writes:

Scottish Parliament (idea thanks to CityCycling Flickr image by
blackpuddinonnabike):
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1428/...1ff3db92_b.jpg

I'm surprised they didn't take your nice new bike away and blow it up.

What was it like going down Arthur's seat? (Ah, perhaps not as bad as I
first thought: I see you have brakes.)
Old August 27th 07, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Don Whybrow

Duncan Smith wrote:
Kitchen shot:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1137/...6ca2776e_b.jpg

I forgot to add ...
For the weight weenies out there, after taking this photo I weighed the
bike and it came to 8.8kg

Very nice too! I see a lot of fixies with their bars upturned like
yours. Is that a co-incdence, does it make for a mor relaxed riding
position?

The picture you have used exaggerates it somewhat as it was taken from
floor level. You get a more accurate impression from the one taken at
Duddingston Loch. Now you mention it, they are a bit upturned, but that
is how I like my drops as I spend most of my time on the hoods. I like
to aim to get the initial forward sweep on the bars horizontal. IMHO it
also makes for a better grip when I need to stand and put the power on.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

At first there was nothing. Then God said 'Let there be light!'
Then there was still nothing. But you could see it.
Old August 27th 07, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Don Whybrow

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
Don Whybrow wrote:

Kitchen shot:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1137/...6ca2776e_b.jpg

Chain looks a bit slack ;-)

Easily fixed, nice to know that there are still some things to fettle.
Time to get out to the shed to spend more time with it.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.
Old August 27th 07, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Don Whybrow

Kenneth MacKenzie wrote:
Don Whybrow writes:

Scottish Parliament (idea thanks to CityCycling Flickr image by
blackpuddinonnabike):
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1428/...1ff3db92_b.jpg

I'm surprised they didn't take your nice new bike away and blow it up.

That was my initial worry as well, but there were plenty of visitors
taking photo's at the same time so I was not alone.

What was it like going down Arthur's seat? (Ah, perhaps not as bad as I
first thought: I see you have brakes.)

I only resorted to the brakes for the final run to the roundabout coming
off Queens Drive and the twisty bit before Duddingston Loch. I know that
some riders think that brakes are for wusses on a fixie. In which case I
am happy to be considered a wuss. It is a much more pleasant experience
than a visit to casualty.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

People must not do things for fun. We are not here for fun.
There is no reference to fun in any Act of Parliament.
Old August 27th 07, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Zog The Undeniable

Don Whybrow wrote:

Easily fixed, nice to know that there are still some things to fettle.
Time to get out to the shed to spend more time with it.

It's a tradition on certain cycling fora that whenever a picture of a
fixie is posted, someone points out that the chain is too slack (whether
it is or not). But in this case, yours would benefit from a slight
tightening ;-)
Old August 27th 07, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Zog The Undeniable

Don Whybrow wrote:

I vaguely remember hearing that fixer photo's should be taken
oerlooking water.

I thought they should be taken up against a heavily graffitied wall, or
maybe the contributors to FGG just live in rough neighbourhoods!

Pr0n warning Tim Hall UK 8 May 21st 07 12:49 AM
New toy. Garden pr0n only. Tim Woodall UK 9 May 4th 07 07:03 PM
More Pr0n Don Whybrow UK 12 April 29th 07 09:24 PM
Yet more kitchen pr0n Simon Brooke UK 12 April 17th 07 10:16 PM
Bike Pr0n for SJ till! Australia 11 October 3rd 05 11:51 PM