How much time off before riding skills degrade?

Old April 12th 08, 03:23 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
lunicycle

Default How much time off before riding skills degrade?

With winter slowly approaching down here in oz, it got me wondering what
guys have found generally regarding the amount of time they can have
off from unicycling before their skills degrade noticeably. I'm hoping
to ride throughout winter, but realistically won't be able to ride as
often as I'd like to.

Obviously it will be different for everyone and dependent on many
things, just wondered what other guys who had taken some time off
unicycling had experienced when they hopped back on, what skills were
most effected etc

Thanks!

--
lunicycle
Old April 12th 08, 03:33 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
minkuni

What is the winter like down there? I rode all through the winter snow,
although I did skip a few trips when the rain poured down (living in a
city with a semi-coastal climate sucks).

I haven't been riding a uni long enough to give you any useful input on
your original question

--
minkuni
Old April 12th 08, 03:50 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
lunicycle

minkuni wrote:
What is the winter like down there? I rode all through the winter snow,
although I did skip a few trips when the rain poured down (living in a
city with a semi-coastal climate sucks).

It depends really on where you live in oz, big place. In the tropics in
the north where I was raised there's essentially no winter, just a wet
and dry season, lots of outdoor living. In the south though where we
lived for some years, it's cold enough to get occasional snow during
winter.

I don't mind being outdoors in the elements during any season, much
prefer that to being inside, but the main problem for me during winter
is the lack of daylight hours after work.

I was just wondering what guys find with their skills when they ease of
riding or stop for a period altogether

--
lunicycle
Old April 12th 08, 05:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Tjorning

the longest I've ever gone without unicycling is about five months, and
I picked up just fine after that. you'll lose some of your tricks, but
they'll be easy to relearn. and you can do trials in your garage/living
room!

--
Tjorning
Old April 12th 08, 05:43 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
vanpaun

dont forget bathroom trials too...........................

--
vanpaun

Please never under any circumstances beleive me. My posts are known to
be sarcastic, offensive, and unhelpful. If my humor is bothering you,
just ignore those posts. I CAN CONTRIBUTE GREATLY. Be wary I wait
untill the moment is right and strike with a joke. Youve been warned
Old April 12th 08, 05:55 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mornish

Because of knee problems I couldn't ride for most of last year. They got
better (briefly), and while I could ride I was actually doing better
than I was before I stopped.

Maybe I am just weird though

-Miles

--
mornish

email: mornish at gmail dot com
'The National Dept Clock' (http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/)
'Miles Land' (http://mornish.blogspot.com/)
'California Mountain Unicycle Weekend 2008'
(http://cmw08.blogspot.com/)
Old April 12th 08, 07:54 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Klaas Bil

It depends on how often you rode before the stop. If you ride more
frequently, then skills erode faster in my experience.

With distance riding on the 36", I hardly rode this winter (on the
northern hemisphere), and needed about 10 rides (of average 30 km each)
to get to about the same level. Even a couple of weeks of not riding
sets me back in speed. Not really noticeably, but the GPS registers it
clearly.

The other thing I do is 'easy MUni', cross-country style. Technical
ability doesn't wear off that much with months of no riding, but
endurance does.

Bottom line: even -some -riding in winter will keep you in better
shape. But otherwise, it will certainly all come back if you give it
some time.

--
Klaas Bil
Old April 12th 08, 09:25 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Kyle_Destroyer

It's actually not that bad to occasionally take a break for a few months
(or if you crash your dirt bike into a ditching ****ing up your leg)

Like what mornish said, you can get better from it.

My little theory on the subject is that taking a break doesn't degrade
your initial skills but it helps get rid of your subconscious
bad-habits.

--
Kyle_Destroyer

Shattered leg, can't even put weight on it for months, living
vicariously through forums.
Old April 12th 08, 09:35 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
vivalargo

I had to lay off for nearly five months owing to a knee injury and man,
I'm sucking wind and have no stamina or punch right now (2nd weekend
back). Stuff I used to cruise (muni) seems grim. Hope it all comes
back.

JL

--
vivalargo
Old April 13th 08, 08:57 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Mikefule

Over the last year or two, I have had long periods with little or no
riding. The basic skills and reflexes don't go. The stamina goes, and
the fine control and more technical stuff takes a little while to come
back.

--
Mikefule

"Every evening we are poorer by a day."