When did tires get so expensive?

Old January 16th 11, 06:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default What's the word?

Dan O wrote:
On Jan 16, 10:35 am, Dan O wrote:
On Jan 16, 6:42 am, Nate Nagel wrote:

On 01/16/2011 09:11 AM, Duane Hebert wrote:
On 1/15/2011 9:13 PM, Bill Sornson wrote:
"Tēm ShermĒn™ °_°" wrote in message
Mozilla Thunderbird, that is:
http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/, and not Gallo
Thunderbird [1].
I downloaded Firefox long ago, but didn't really care for it. I'll
have to check out T'bird.
Yours for the low, low price of $0.00. Use it for just Usenet, if for
some reason you want to keep using Windows Live Mail for regular email.
I actually like the e-mail interface. Few quirks, but the Calendar
sidebar feature is proving useful. I'll investigate using Mozilla for
Usenet only (if I ever take the time).
Thanks.
At the office, I'm forced to use Vista, Windows Mail was so buggy that I
switched to WLM. After the latest version, I installed Thunderbird.
At home, I run XP Pro and I don't mind OE too much for email. I
installed Thunderbird for NNTP for testing but having decided which one
I like best yet.
Not too wild about Firefox. Seems much slower than IE.
I like t'bird, I like firefox, the lightning add on has been problematic
but I think that's a problem with the official Ubuntu repositories not
any Mozilla product.
I just wish that I didn't also have to install Seamonkey (duplicating
the mail/newsreader and web browser) just to get the HTML editor, which
I also use. I know it's probably not the best tool for the job, but for
maintaining my small personal web space it's perfectly adequate... I
could probably do the editing in a text editor, but the WYSIWYG of a
real HTML editor is nice.

WYSIWYG on the monitor connected to your terminal displaying the
output of your system. When typing the code you pick the "standard".
HTML 2.0 or so isn't that tough to type out.

... although, understanding the behavior of the editing environment, I
could appreciate a code generator as much as the next guy :-) Seems
like you gotta type something somewhere; might as well be your own
source code for when you need to get in there and fix something.

Got that right. Two lines of html in a text editor can be a
page and a half with point-click html software.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old January 16th 11, 06:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 01/16/2011 01:48 PM, landotter wrote:
On Jan 16, 12:32 pm, Dan wrote:
On Jan 16, 6:08 am, Duane wrote:

On 1/16/2011 12:56 AM, Dan O wrote:

On Jan 15, 6:13 pm, "Bill wrote:
"Tēm ShermĒn™ °_°" wrote in ...

Mozilla Thunderbird, that is:
http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/, and not Gallo
Thunderbird [1].
I downloaded Firefox long ago, but didn't really care for it. I'll have to
check out T'bird.

Yours for the low, low price of $0.00. Use it for just Usenet, if for
some reason you want to keep using Windows Live Mail for regular email.
I actually like the e-mail interface. Few quirks, but the Calendar sidebar
feature is proving useful. I'll investigate using Mozilla for Usenet only
(if I ever take the time).

Thanks.

[1]http://www.bumwine.com/tbird.html. [2]
[2] How's it sold? Good and cold!'
High-class lowlifes USED to drink Boones Farm Strawberry Wine. But that was
38 years ago or so.

BS
Night Train for me. (The Bules Brothers being my favorite movie.)

Let me mail you a copy of Learning Red Hat with a pair of CD's inside
the covers. You start reading the book, stick in the CD, turn on the
computer, click next a bunch of times, and voila! Up-and running a
free system. Send your ship to my gmail.

Changing your OS to get you news groups working seems radical.

It is, but in a good sort of way. Bill has a history of his "buggy
computer" (his words) not allowing him access to usenet. Now messing
up internet convention with their buggy beta commercial software, he
was fussing about the evil empire earlier in the thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...ac85a97c1dad1b

http://www.debian.org/

Beside, it's easy as pie to split a hard disk with something like
gparted and dual boot M$ Windblows and Debian with something like
grub. Heck, I have a very old slow laptop running RH in a VM under
Windows 2000. I think that Red Hat Book I offered to mail him even
tells you how. (I got three or four for a few bucks apiece to give
friends. ISTR it's RH 8 or so - still all free. It installs easily
and runs great in like 64 MB RAM, and comes up connected to the Web if
you have TCP/IP to a gateway. Debian, too. I mean, really, with
Google you don't hardly need anything else 98% of the time, and Debian
loads you up with state of the art internet applications - all free.

People ask me for adivce about their buggy computers. I would tell
them to stick that bootable RH 8 disk 1 in their computer, power it
up, and follow the directions (how cool that it comes with the book
Learning Red Hat). So far I only gave out one, so I'm sure there's
one around here for my good friend Bill (who really needs to see the
light :-)

Then there's slax and other live cd's:

http://www.slax.org/

Four words solve most Windows problems:

don't run as administrator

true... but that is the default for all the Windows distros with which
I'm familiar.

OTOH, any *nix type OS requires you to log out of your user account and
log back in as "admin" or "su" or something or else "sudo" and enter a
password before doing anything even remotely dangerous. There are ways
to do stupid stuff in *nix like "sudo nautilus" (although I have done so
in the past for various reasons, but I was very very careful) but those
take effort.

*nix is just more intrinsically safe

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old January 16th 11, 06:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 01/16/2011 01:51 PM, AMuzi wrote:
Dan O wrote:
On Jan 16, 10:35 am, Dan O wrote:
[...]

oh yeah, if I have a big page that I auto-generated, I always look at
the source to make sure that there's no really egregious cruft in there.
Sometimes you see legacy stuff from the page you used as a template,
like lots of tags opening and closing right next to each other.
shift-select, delete!

nate

Old January 16th 11, 07:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

Dan O wrote:
On Jan 16, 10:35 am, Dan O wrote:
[...]

I've never used Seamonkey, but I know some other page generating
environments can also put tons of stuff in when you write your file
and "publish" it. Plain text HTML source file is ready to render in
the standard of your own choosing.
Old January 16th 11, 07:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert

On 1/16/2011 1:32 PM, Dan O wrote:
On Jan 16, 6:08 am, Duane wrote:
On 1/16/2011 12:56 AM, Dan O wrote:

On Jan 15, 6:13 pm, "Bill wrote:
"Tēm ShermĒn™ °_°" wrote in ...
[...]

I was running a dual boot at home with Windows and RH for a long time.
I ended up booting windows to go to the net to solved problems like
configuring PPP etc. So I eventually dropped the Linux boot. I do use
Linux at the office though (Fedora distro) and have to say that some of
the latest distros are pretty decent and have some pretty decent
interfaces for configuration. I only get kernel panic once in a while
now g

I still say that changing your OS because your NNTP reader doesn't work
is a bit much. I would (and did) just install TBird.
Old January 16th 11, 08:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Jan 16, 11:41 am, Duane Hebert wrote:
On 1/16/2011 1:32 PM, Dan O wrote:

On Jan 16, 6:08 am, Duane wrote:
On 1/16/2011 12:56 AM, Dan O wrote:

On Jan 15, 6:13 pm, "Bill wrote:
"T m Sherm n _ " wrote in ...
[...]

It's more than just software. It's a way of life.
Old January 16th 11, 08:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On 1/16/2011 1:32 PM, Dan O wrote:

On Jan 16, 6:08 am, Duane wrote:
On 1/16/2011 12:56 AM, Dan O wrote:

"T m Sherm n _ " wrote in ...

http://www.fsf.org/about/

Old January 16th 11, 08:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On 1/16/2011 1:32 PM, Dan O wrote:

On Jan 16, 6:08 am, Duane wrote:
On 1/16/2011 12:56 AM, Dan O wrote:

On Jan 15, 6:13 pm, "Bill wrote:
"T m Sherm n _ " wrote in ...
[...]

.... a way of looking at everything.

http://www.fsf.org/about/

Anyway, good ol' Bill is oblivious, but what an epiphany so needed by
his poor tormented soul.
Old January 16th 11, 08:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Dan O wrote:

http://www.debian.org/

Then there's slax and other live cd's:

http://www.slax.org/

Ubuntu.

JS.
Old January 16th 11, 08:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

Default OT What's the word?

On Jan 16, 12:43 pm, James wrote:
Dan O wrote:
http://www.debian.org/

Then there's slax and other live cd's:

http://www.slax.org/

Ubuntu.

I am thinking about fixing up one of those for my littlest one. My
oldest ran Slackware at age eight, and once made a drawing of the
Internet Explorer 'e' icon with a dagger stuck in it. It's just like
in Star Wars, I tell you! :-)