When did tires get so expensive?

Old January 17th 11, 08:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default What's the word?

Duane Hebert wrote:
On 1/16/2011 3:57 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 01/16/2011 03:43 PM, James wrote:
Dan O wrote:

http://www.debian.org/

Then there's slax and other live cd's:

http://www.slax.org/

Ubuntu.

Agreed. I have put it on 4 different machines now. Meant to try
Debian but haven't had any reason to change yet.

nate

Had problems with Ubuntu connecting to some servers at the office.
Mostly Windows based. Seems to have been a bug with Ubuntu and it may
well be fixed by now. At the time, tried Fedora and no problems. I was
pretty familliar with RedHat anyway.

Problems come and go.

Issues that I have using Linux at the office is that I prefer to develop
with VS, especially for embedded/Qt devices rather than Eclipse and I
prefer to use TortoiseSVN to manage my SubVersion VCS rather than either
the command line Linux one or the one you can install in Eclipse.

There are GUI SVN clients for Linux.

I *hate* IDE's, preferring to understand the build process and customise
it for each job, as each job is different.

The next is a small real time embedded controller based on an Atmel uP.

It's funny, I nearly didn't take this job when I found out that it was a
windows shop. I guess I got used to it.

I made damn sure that a Linux system would be my primary development
tool when I took this job. The fact that there's a Windows box sitting
on the next bench is only for when some client wants a Windows GUI app,
and then my preference is to write in TCL/TK or at least C with GTK on
Linux and port it to Windows at the last minute.

Windows serial ports and Bill's insistence on thread use are the most
vile contaminations of good code known to man.

JS.
Old January 17th 11, 09:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert[_4_]

Dan O wrote:

http://www.debian.org/

Then there's slax and other live cd's:

http://www.slax.org/

Ubuntu.

Agreed. I have put it on 4 different machines now. Meant to try
Debian but haven't had any reason to change yet.

nate

Had problems with Ubuntu connecting to some servers at the office.
Mostly Windows based. Seems to have been a bug with Ubuntu and it may
well be fixed by now. At the time, tried Fedora and no problems. I was
pretty familliar with RedHat anyway.

Problems come and go.

They seem to come more often than go when dealing with Samba but
generally I would agree.

Issues that I have using Linux at the office is that I prefer to
develop with VS, especially for embedded/Qt devices rather than
Eclipse and I prefer to use TortoiseSVN to manage my SubVersion VCS
rather than either the command line Linux one or the one you can
install in Eclipse.

There are GUI SVN clients for Linux.

I *hate* IDE's, preferring to understand the build process and customise
it for each job, as each job is different.

I prefer to have my team spend time on debugging and deployment than
understanding the build process. We assign task modularly so the only
one that even needs to know about the build process is the one doing the
final sic release.

We were allowing SEs to use Linux or Windows depending on preference.
But this becomes problematic when using commercial libraries. Most of
our clients prefer windows and our management isn't going to foot the
bill for libraries for both. Well, now that Qt is open source, maybe
that will change.

The next is a small real time embedded controller based on an Atmel uP.

Some of our small stuff is still written in Linux. We also have a
branch in Germany that is using Linux for the backend and Java for the
UI stuff. So we need to work on that as well.

It's funny, I nearly didn't take this job when I found out that it was
a windows shop. I guess I got used to it.

I made damn sure that a Linux system would be my primary development
tool when I took this job. The fact that there's a Windows box sitting
on the next bench is only for when some client wants a Windows GUI app,
and then my preference is to write in TCL/TK or at least C with GTK on
Linux and port it to Windows at the last minute.

I did a few tickle apps in school. Pretty cool but I can't really
imagine doing anything very large with TCL/TK.

Windows serial ports and Bill's insistence on thread use are the most
vile contaminations of good code known to man.

Won't argue with that. But I get to assign the serial junk to the
newbie and Qt's QThread works well enough for the threaded stuff.