online shop

Old January 18th 04, 05:39 PM
Matthew Paterson

Default online shop

Hey

What online bike shops would you recommend in the US?

Looking for a good deal on discs, and would like to see what online prices
are like.

Thanks.

--
Matt

Fear of a flat planet

Old January 18th 04, 06:07 PM
Slacker

Matthew Paterson wrote:
Hey

What online bike shops would you recommend in the US?

Looking for a good deal on discs, and would like to see what online
prices are like.

Thanks.

Depending on which brake you're wanting, here's are some good shops:

www.supergo.com great deals on closeout brake sets

www.cambriabike.com be sure to check out the "Hot Deals" section too

www.jensonusa.com usually very good pricing

www.adrenalinebikes.com I just picked up (in person) my brake set here, but
after what I saw in that shop, I would never, ever order on-line from them.
But maybe you could use their pricing for leverage at another shop??

www.wheelworld.com sometimes has good deals

--
Slacker

Old January 18th 04, 06:08 PM
Zilla

Matthew Paterson wrote:
Hey

What online bike shops would you recommend in the US?

Looking for a good deal on discs, and would like to see what online
prices are like.

Thanks.

www.pricepoint.com
www.supergo.com
www.performancebike.com
www.cambriabike.com
www.nashbar.com
....lots more...

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC

Old January 18th 04, 09:53 PM
bomba

Matthew Paterson wrote:
Hey

What online bike shops would you recommend in the US?

Um, but aren't you based in the UK?

Old January 19th 04, 11:57 PM
Matthew Paterson

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 22:53:11 +0100, bomba wrote:

Um, but aren't you based in the UK?

Yes, well observed. Despite the shipping costs it looks like US prices are
considerably cheaper than in the uk for smaller but more expensive parts
(like discs).

--
Matt

Fear of a flat planet

Old January 20th 04, 08:45 AM
bomba

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 23:57:12 +0000, Matthew Paterson wrote:

Um, but aren't you based in the UK?

Yes, well observed. Despite the shipping costs it looks like US prices are
considerably cheaper than in the uk for smaller but more expensive parts
(like discs).

Ok, I think I may have to put something in the FAQ about this.

It eventually works out as a false economy because it's not just shipping
costs that have to be taken in to account. As your stuff is brought in to
the country, the delivery note will be inspected by customs and excise who
will levy the appropriate import duties, which for bike parts run at about
30%, I believe. Fail to pay it and they keep your stuff. Pay it and you
make minimal savings, if not actually paying more, with all the added
bonuses of problems with returning stuff and a lack of support from the UK
/ European distributors of said product.

You're best off buying your stuff inside the EU, or if you want to go the
dodgy route, taking a trip to the US and smuggling stuff back in.

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm

a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

Old January 21st 04, 11:23 AM
Matthew Paterson

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 09:45:01 +0100, bomba wrote:

Ok, I think I may have to put something in the FAQ about this.

snip

You're best off buying your stuff inside the EU, or if you want to go the
dodgy route, taking a trip to the US and smuggling stuff back in.

Hmm, interesting. Thanks for the 411

--
Matt

Fear of a flat planet