Q on avid brake models

Old September 16th 05, 06:00 PM
GWood

Default Q on avid brake models

Looking for a set on Ebay. The way I understand it (and according to the
Avid website), the adjustable-dial calipers model is the BB7s. The
"self-adjusting" model is the cheaper BB5. I own a set of "adjustable
caliper" version from a couple of years back. I believe they were BB7's
back then too?

One seller had a new set advertised as BBDBs, which I assumed was the
generic "Ball bearing disc brake" style of caliper. The pics were of the
boxes only, so way to see any specific model ID. When I asked him if they
were BB5 or BB7, he replied "neither, they are BBDB".

Am I missing something? Is there another style of Avid mech out there?
Inquiring (and purchasing) minds want to know.

Thanks
Gary

Old September 16th 05, 06:12 PM
Ride-A-Lot

GWood wrote:
Looking for a set on Ebay. The way I understand it (and according to the
Avid website), the adjustable-dial calipers model is the BB7s. The
"self-adjusting" model is the cheaper BB5. I own a set of "adjustable
caliper" version from a couple of years back. I believe they were BB7's
back then too?

One seller had a new set advertised as BBDBs, which I assumed was the
generic "Ball bearing disc brake" style of caliper. The pics were of the
boxes only, so way to see any specific model ID. When I asked him if they
were BB5 or BB7, he replied "neither, they are BBDB".

Am I missing something? Is there another style of Avid mech out there?
Inquiring (and purchasing) minds want to know.

Thanks
Gary

Get the BB7's. The price difference is not worth it and the adjustments
help in times of bent rotors (Who me? Nah, I've never bent a rotor).

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old September 16th 05, 06:34 PM
GWood

Thanks, and I agree.

However, looking to find out if there is yet another model out there called
BBDB, or is this seller blowing smoke and trying to sell BB5s at BB7 prices?

Old September 16th 05, 08:47 PM
Dave Dowler

I think the current BB7 was called the BBDB B4 they introduced the BB5. They
have BBDB installation guidelines from 2002 in the Avid tech section at
http://www.sram.com/en/service/avid/...D=1&subcatID=1

"GWood" wrote in message

However, looking to find out if there is yet another model out there
called
BBDB, or is this seller blowing smoke and trying to sell BB5s at BB7
prices?

I think the current BB7 was called the BBDB B4 they introduced the BB5. They
have BBDB installation guidelines from 2002 in the Avid tech section at
http://www.sram.com/en/service/avid/...D=1&subcatID=1

Advice on Ebay from Usenet - caveat emptor^2! Dave D

Old September 19th 05, 03:18 PM
Carla A-G

"GWood" wrote in message
Looking for a set on Ebay. The way I understand it (and according to the
Avid website), the adjustable-dial calipers model is the BB7s. The
"self-adjusting" model is the cheaper BB5. I own a set of "adjustable
caliper" version from a couple of years back. I believe they were BB7's
back then too?

One seller had a new set advertised as BBDBs, which I assumed was the
generic "Ball bearing disc brake" style of caliper. The pics were of the
boxes only, so way to see any specific model ID. When I asked him if they
were BB5 or BB7, he replied "neither, they are BBDB".

Am I missing something? Is there another style of Avid mech out there?
Inquiring (and purchasing) minds want to know.

Thanks
Gary

Do yourself a favour. Don't get the Avid mechanical (ball bearing) disc
brakes. We've had nothing but problems with them (brakes that disintegrate,
brakes that won't adjust, etc.). We are slowly converting all our bikes to
hydro brakes (Shimano XT, Avid Juicy's). Pricepoint has Juicy 5's on sale:
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/137...Disc-Brake.htm

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Old September 19th 05, 04:11 PM
GWood

Thanks Carla

I appreciate the advice, but interestingly enough, I own the BB7s and have
been very happy with them. Probably I don't log the miles (and conditions)
so far my 1.5 year old set has performed admirably - inexpensive, easily
adjusted when required, good stopping power.

I didn't want to get into the extra considerations of hydros over mechs,
hence my questions about the "BB" series. But certainly I'll consider any
Juicy's that come up if I can find them close to a mech price.

Cheers
Gary

Old September 22nd 05, 02:31 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Carla A-G wrote:
"GWood" wrote in message
[...]

Can you elaborate? We love Avid mechs at our shop *because* they're so easy
to setup and adjust.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training