What's your point?

Old May 31st 07, 01:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

Default What's your point?

From http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...y07/may31news2

"Gilberto Simoni (Saunier Duval-Prodir) conquered the 10.1-kilometre
Monte Zoncolan in 1850 metres per hour according to La Gazzetta dello
Sport. The speed, 39 minutes over the 1203 metres, 1850 VAM (Velocity
Ascended, Metres per hour Vm/h), was faster than that of Ivan Basso on
the Maielletta Passo Lanciano in 2006, 1805 VAM. Marco Pantani
blasted up the Alpe d'Huez with a 1791 VAM and Danilo Di Luca did the
final four kilometres of Tre Cime di Lavaredo with a 1750 VAM."
--
JT
****************************
Old May 31st 07, 01:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On May 31, 8:07 am, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:
Fromhttp://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2007/may07/may31news2

"Gilberto Simoni (Saunier Duval-Prodir) conquered the 10.1-kilometre
Monte Zoncolan in 1850 metres per hour according to La Gazzetta dello
Sport. The speed, 39 minutes over the 1203 metres, 1850 VAM (Velocity
Ascended, Metres per hour Vm/h), was faster than that of Ivan Basso on
the Maielletta Passo Lanciano in 2006, 1805 VAM. Marco Pantani
blasted up the Alpe d'Huez with a 1791 VAM and Danilo Di Luca did the
final four kilometres of Tre Cime di Lavaredo with a 1750 VAM."

I'm metric-challenged. What's that in furlongs per fortnight?

Old May 31st 07, 02:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On May 31, 5:07 am, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:
Fromhttp://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2007/may07/may31news2

"Gilberto Simoni (Saunier Duval-Prodir) conquered the 10.1-kilometre
Monte Zoncolan in 1850 metres per hour according to La Gazzetta dello
Sport. The speed, 39 minutes over the 1203 metres, 1850 VAM (Velocity
Ascended, Metres per hour Vm/h), was faster than that of Ivan Basso on
the Maielletta Passo Lanciano in 2006, 1805 VAM. Marco Pantani
blasted up the Alpe d'Huez with a 1791 VAM and Danilo Di Luca did the
final four kilometres of Tre Cime di Lavaredo with a 1750 VAM."

According to Lafferty this can only mean that Simoni is a doper.
Remember, his claim was that since Lance's Tour times were faster than
other's before him who were doping then he HAD to be doping to go
faster.

Old May 31st 07, 06:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ewoud Dronkert

John Forrest Tomlinson schreef:
From http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...y07/may31news2

"Gilberto Simoni (Saunier Duval-Prodir) conquered the 10.1-kilometre
Monte Zoncolan in 1850 metres per hour according to La Gazzetta dello
Sport. The speed, 39 minutes over the 1203 metres, 1850 VAM (Velocity
Ascended, Metres per hour Vm/h), was faster than that of Ivan Basso on
the Maielletta Passo Lanciano in 2006, 1805 VAM. Marco Pantani
blasted up the Alpe d'Huez with a 1791 VAM

This is proof they didn't dope after all.

--
E. Dronkert
Old May 31st 07, 08:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Jeff Jones

wrote:

Fromhttp://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2007/may07/may31news2

"Gilberto Simoni (Saunier Duval-Prodir) conquered the 10.1-kilometre
Monte Zoncolan in 1850 metres per hour according to La Gazzetta dello
Sport. The speed, 39 minutes over the 1203 metres, 1850 VAM (Velocity
Ascended, Metres per hour Vm/h), was faster than that of Ivan Basso on
the Maielletta Passo Lanciano in 2006, 1805 VAM. Marco Pantani
blasted up the Alpe d'Huez with a 1791 VAM and Danilo Di Luca did the
final four kilometres of Tre Cime di Lavaredo with a 1750 VAM."

I'm metric-challenged. What's that in furlongs per fortnight?

VAM is not really a useful measure of climbing speed. The steeper the
climb, the higher the VAM will be for the same power output, compared
to a shallower climb. So on a climb like Zoncolan, it will be pretty
high. The only time you can fairly compare VAMs is when the climbs are
of similar gradient. Then you may as well compare average speeds. Or
power.

Out of interest, I used http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm to
estimate the power it would take someone of my weight (72kg ish) to
get up Zoncolan on a 7kg bike. I included an extra couple of kilos for
clothing/water. I would need to put about 455W if I did it on the tops
of the bars without any pacing (Simoni had the benefit of this).
That's about 100W more than I can do, but I'm a beer drinking journo,
not a pro :-) Simoni also has the benefit of a lower body weight
(62kg), so he'd need to crank out about 400W for the climb, or about
6.45W/kg.

What I'm sayin' is that I believe it's within the realms of
possibility, even at the end of a 140km stage. And yes, I realise the
above proof is not particularly scientific.

Jeff

Old May 31st 07, 08:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On May 31, 9:10 pm, Jeff Jones wrote:

What I'm sayin' is that I believe it's within the realms of
possibility, even at the end of a 140km stage. And yes, I realise the
above proof is not particularly scientific.

Who are we going to believe: you, or a gym teacher?

Old May 31st 07, 08:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Simon Brooke

in message . com,

wrote:
Fromhttp://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2007/may07/may31news2

"Gilberto Simoni (Saunier Duval-Prodir) conquered the 10.1-kilometre
Monte Zoncolan in 1850 metres per hour according to La Gazzetta dello
Sport. The speed, 39 minutes over the 1203 metres, 1850 VAM (Velocity
Ascended, Metres per hour Vm/h), was faster than that of Ivan Basso on
the Maielletta Passo Lanciano in 2006, 1805 VAM. Marco Pantani
blasted up the Alpe d'Huez with a 1791 VAM and Danilo Di Luca did the
final four kilometres of Tre Cime di Lavaredo with a 1750 VAM."

I'm metric-challenged. What's that in furlongs per fortnight?

1,850 m/h = 3,090 f/f

HTH

;; Sending your money to someone just because they've erected
;; a barrier of obscurity and secrets around the tools you
;; need to use your data does not help the economy or spur
;; innovation. - Waffle Iron Slashdot, June 16th, 2002

Old June 1st 07, 12:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article
. com,

wrote:
Fromhttp://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2007/may07/may31news2

"Gilberto Simoni (Saunier Duval-Prodir) conquered the 10.1-kilometre
Monte Zoncolan in 1850 metres per hour according to La Gazzetta dello
Sport. The speed, 39 minutes over the 1203 metres, 1850 VAM (Velocity
Ascended, Metres per hour Vm/h), was faster than that of Ivan Basso on
the Maielletta Passo Lanciano in 2006, 1805 VAM. Marco Pantani
blasted up the Alpe d'Huez with a 1791 VAM and Danilo Di Luca did the
final four kilometres of Tre Cime di Lavaredo with a 1750 VAM."

I'm metric-challenged. What's that in furlongs per fortnight?

$ units 1850*m/hr furlong/fortnight
* 3089.9547
/ 0.00032362934

--
Michael Press
Old June 1st 07, 07:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Jenko

Jeff Jones wrote:

That's about 100W more than I can do, but I'm a beer drinking journo,

In that case, this should help you with your hydration
http://thebeerbelly.com/

Jenko

Old June 1st 07, 07:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Jeff Jones

On Jun 1, 7:14 am, Jenko wrote:
Jeff Jones wrote:

That's about 100W more than I can do, but I'm a beer drinking journo,

In that case, this should help you with your hydration http://thebeerbelly.com/

Aha, we've discovered the real use for a hydration pack!

Jeff

Just making a point Sirius631 UK 12 October 4th 06 08:25 AM
Velocity of point on a rim [email protected] Techniques 15 August 29th 06 01:50 PM
Gym Workout - Any Point? Mike the Unshavable UK 17 November 21st 05 07:22 PM
Is there a point to.... Captain Craptastic Mountain Biking 1 August 2nd 05 11:53 AM