Finding the Right Balance in a Recumbent Frame

Old February 28th 09, 08:14 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Erness Wild

Default Finding the Right Balance in a Recumbent Frame

Since new recumbent bicycles are beyond most people's budgets, (most
people's budgets for a standard bicycle being around $0 to $200), I'm
considering building a recumbent of my own. I suspect the first
attempt will be unsuitable, possibly the second attempt also. But a
prototype similar to a Bike-E is probably the best way to begin such a
project.
I would have to use muffler pipe, which would be round instead of
square, but in talking with a few other people, this has the advantage
of being do-able as muffler shops will sell you pipe and bend it the
way you want.
I'm thinking a piece of muffler pipe, approximately 60 inches long and
fashioned into a curve would be a good place to start.
Finding the right balance in a recumbent frame is probably going to be
difficult. I tend to like to assemble what ever pieces I have and then
begin to fashion something like that rather than making a drawing and
then trying to find pieces to match the drawing.
There were a couple of good web pages on do it yourself bicycles that
I saw a few months ago. I'll have to check my favourite bookmarks to
see if I have a link to them.

Old February 28th 09, 08:27 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Erness Wild wrote:
Since new recumbent bicycles are beyond most people's budgets, (most
people's budgets for a standard bicycle being around $0 to $200), I'm
considering building a recumbent of my own. I suspect the first attempt
will be unsuitable, possibly the second attempt also. But a prototype
similar to a Bike-E is probably the best way to begin such a project.
I would have to use muffler pipe, which would be round instead of
square, but in talking with a few other people, this has the advantage
of being do-able as muffler shops will sell you pipe and bend it the way
you want.

Muffler pipe can be used to make a mono-tube bicycle. The O.D. and wall
thickness should be chosen based on your weight. Better to err on the
side of heavy and stiff, since a too flexible tube will lead to poor
handling (especially while pedaling hard) and fatigue failure.

I'm thinking a piece of muffler pipe, approximately 60 inches long and
fashioned into a curve would be a good place to start.
Finding the right balance in a recumbent frame is probably going to be
difficult. I tend to like to assemble what ever pieces I have and then
begin to fashion something like that rather than making a drawing and
then trying to find pieces to match the drawing.

The hardest part is usually the seat. If you can do fiberglass layup and
have access to a beach, you can form the sand to fit your back and bum
at the desired recline, cover with thin sheeting and plaster of Paris,
then use the resulting mold.

Start here for links: http://www.ihpva.org/building.htm.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll
Old March 1st 09, 04:02 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Erness Wild

Thanks.

Tom Sherman wrote:
Erness Wild wrote:
[...]

Help finding a suitable touring frame? (long) Paul Myron Hobson General 32 August 1st 07 02:46 PM
Finding a saddle David Martin UK 2 August 24th 06 11:29 PM
Finding the right cone. Neil Smith UK 3 February 23rd 06 04:01 PM
Estimated SWB recumbent frame weight nowater Recumbent Biking 2 October 16th 05 08:48 PM
Finding a 29er rim in the UK phil Unicycling 14 April 8th 04 11:03 AM