Trike Questions

Old January 25th 09, 04:19 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
ATP*

Default Trike Questions

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
ATP* wrote:
[...]
Thanks, does stability remain a problem in traffic on two-wheelers, or is
it only a problem until you get used to the bike?

On a properly designed recumbent, dynamic stability [1] is not a concern
once the rider realizes the control forces need to be much less than on an
upright bicycle.

However, the seat recline make a proper mirror(s) mandatory. I would also
avoid bicycles with great seat recline (most highracers and lowracers) as
being that laid back makes starting out more awkward and it also makes
seeing traffic to the sides and back more difficult.

[1] All bicycles are of course, statically unstable.

Yes, I would prefer to be looking more straight ahead and take the hit on
the slight increase in air resistance. I'll be dramatically cutting down as
opposed to an upright bike by switching to almost any recumbent.

Old January 25th 09, 04:21 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
ATP*

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message
ATP* wrote:
I'd like to buy a recumbent and I'm considering purchasing a trike,
mainly so I can do a lot of miles without back problems. However, I have
some concerns about the size of the trike, it looks as if you almost need
a garage to store it.

Hang it by the single wheel is probably the most space-efficient way, then
it's more wall than floor space. Still quite a chunk though!

My other concern is having my vision blocked due to the low ride height
in a traffic situation. I don't have any dealers nearby so trying one out
is not an immediate option. I'll be riding in suburban traffic, some
downtown, some semi-rural.

Think how you cope on a normal bike when surrounded by buses, vans etc.
If that doesn't really both you then a low 'bent will probably be okay, if
you really have issues with it then maybe best to avoid.

'bent bikes tend to be quite a bit higher, up to and often past car seat
height, and they'll still you freedom from back pain. Also, in busy
traffic the reduced width may well work better.

Pete.
--

I think a two-wheeled bent will be fine, it will not be one of the
super-reclined ones. Thanks.

Old January 25th 09, 08:33 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Zebee Johnstone

In alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent on Sun, 25 Jan 2009 09:32:30 -0600
Tom Sherman wrote:
Zebee Johnstone wrote:
[...]
I wouldn't ride a trike in traffic on a regular basis. Exactly
because of the low height.

Instead get a two wheeler. They come in several flavours, each with
their partisans.

Leaving aside the low racers which are as low as a trike,[...]

The lowness is not an issue as long as you practice "vehicular cycling"
and avoid the bad behavior of "persons on bicycles". Of course, the
worst traffic I have ridden in is Chicagoland.

I think it is an issue in traffic because of vision, not visibility.

In order to do decent traffic work, two wheels or four, you need to
anticipate what's going to happen. You need to be able to see well
ahead so you can work out what people near you are likely to do.

It is certainly *possible* to cycle in traffic on a low vehicle. But
I think it's a very large score in the "no" category if you are
looking at buying something that's going to spend a lot of time in
traffic.

Other things might outweigh that disadvantage, but it is a
disadvantage.

Zebee
Old January 25th 09, 08:39 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Zebee Johnstone

In alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent on Sun, 25 Jan 2009 11:19:43 -0500
ATP* wrote:

Yes, I would prefer to be looking more straight ahead and take the hit on
the slight increase in air resistance. I'll be dramatically cutting down as
opposed to an upright bike by switching to almost any recumbent.

The two two wheelers I've ridden have been a thing similar to a
TWbent, and the Bacchetta Giro 20.

Both have reasonably upright seats.

The not-a-TW was fixed, the Giro's has adjustable angle. I started
out quite a few degrees more upright than I am now. I'm not majorly
laid back, but I'm way more laid back than I thought I'd ever be...
IT's a matter of getting used to it.

The mirror on the tweener bars is vital. Can't do without it.

Note that one of the biggest problems with 'bents is weight. I don't
much care as I'm a commuter and rider for fitness, so I need something
tough with tough wheels, and I carry heaps of work gear or shopping,
so obessing over a few pounds on the bike is silly.

But some people do want to go fast and it's more expensive to buy a
light recumbent than it is to buy a light DF.

I'm definitely partisan but I do think the Bacchetta Giro 20 is a damn
fine allrounder bike, and now in aluminium so lighter! The advantage
of the small front wheel is lower BB so easier start and stop, and
being a shortarse that's important. People who aren't short ride them
too, but some find they prefer the same wheel both ends and go for a
Giro 26 or Strada.

After having the bike about 2 years I put a 24" front on it and it now
climbs better and is generally faster.

Zebee
Old January 25th 09, 10:31 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
ATP*

ATP* wrote:

[...]

Good point about the mirror and the tweener bars. I hadn't considered the
fact that USS would leave no easy place for mounting a mirror. I could use a
small glasses mounted mirror, but the bar mounting would be better. Weight
is not a problem for me, as I'm riding for fitness. Weight doesn't affect
top speed on the flats anyway. What are your opinions on the
Actionbents/TWs?

Old January 25th 09, 10:36 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Peter Clinch

Zebee Johnstone wrote:

I think it is an issue in traffic because of vision, not visibility.

In order to do decent traffic work, two wheels or four, you need to
anticipate what's going to happen. You need to be able to see well
ahead so you can work out what people near you are likely to do.

It is certainly *possible* to cycle in traffic on a low vehicle. But
I think it's a very large score in the "no" category if you are
looking at buying something that's going to spend a lot of time in
traffic.

Fair comment. One cycles according to what one can see. If it
isn't very much it simply makes life slower and more awkward as you
have to make more paranoid assumptions. Often on a 'bent that
means being more part of the 4-wheel traffic flow more often,
rather than moving semi-independantly of it. And in heavy traffic,
that can be very dull, even if it isn't especially dangerous.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old February 2nd 09, 12:27 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Chris[_9_]

ATP* wrote:
I'd like to buy a recumbent and I'm considering purchasing a trike, mainly
so I can do a lot of miles without back problems. However, I have some
concerns about the size of the trike, it looks as if you almost need a
garage to store it. There are some new foldable trikes but it still looks
like an awkward assembly to put away after each ride.

My other concern is having my vision blocked due to the low ride height in a
traffic situation. I don't have any dealers nearby so trying one out is not
an immediate option. I'll be riding in suburban traffic, some downtown, some
semi-rural.

Any comments are appreciated.

I've got a Trice Q www.ice.hpv.co.uk which folds down a to relatively
small size, check out the video on their site. Takes me about 6 minutes
to dissemble and about 25 to re-assembly, with the quick release kit so
I don't need any spanners. I have it hanging on cycle hooks in our garage.

The main problem I have in urban driving is the width means you have to
stay behind cars. A recent UK show with race between tow very different
recumbent tandems http://fwd.five.tv/videos/road-trip-part-1 shows the
disadvantage in viability.

Chris
Old February 4th 09, 03:51 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Jeff Grippe

At the risk of sounding like ED, I would have to say that trikes are not
safe in urban or suburban environments unless you live someplace like
Portland or Seattle that has gone out of the way to make cycling safer.

I make this statement as someone who sustained a spinal cord injury from
having been hit by a car while on a trike while on a designated bike route.
I suppose I'm lucky to still be alive. The whole experience has changed my
thinking about where it is and is not safe to ride. The day before I was hit
I would have said that good riding habits are enough to keep you safe. But
it isn't just the cyclists that have to behave. The cars have to behave as
well. Since they aren't going to, I would have to say that cycling, in
general, on roads that are shared by cars, isn't safe.

Jeff

Old February 5th 09, 01:13 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Jeff Grippe top posted:
At the risk of sounding like ED, I would have to say that trikes are not
safe in urban or suburban environments unless you live someplace like
Portland or Seattle that has gone out of the way to make cycling safer.

I make this statement as someone who sustained a spinal cord injury from
having been hit by a car while on a trike while on a designated bike route.
I suppose I'm lucky to still be alive. The whole experience has changed my
thinking about where it is and is not safe to ride. The day before I was hit
I would have said that good riding habits are enough to keep you safe. But
it isn't just the cyclists that have to behave. The cars have to behave as
well. Since they aren't going to, I would have to say that cycling, in
general, on roads that are shared by cars, isn't safe.

Sorry about your accident, but your misfortune is a statistically rare
event, and should not scare others off. People are killed by lightning,
but one should not stay inside during the entire season when
thunderstorms could occur.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll
Old February 5th 09, 02:51 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
ATP*

"Jeff Grippe" wrote in message
At the risk of sounding like ED, I would have to say that trikes are not
safe in urban or suburban environments unless you live someplace like
Portland or Seattle that has gone out of the way to make cycling safer.

I make this statement as someone who sustained a spinal cord injury from
having been hit by a car while on a trike while on a designated bike
route. I suppose I'm lucky to still be alive. The whole experience has
changed my thinking about where it is and is not safe to ride. The day
before I was hit I would have said that good riding habits are enough to
keep you safe. But it isn't just the cyclists that have to behave. The
cars have to behave as well. Since they aren't going to, I would have to
say that cycling, in general, on roads that are shared by cars, isn't
safe.

I ended up getting an Actionbent two wheel high style recumbent on Ebay. So
far I've been very pleased with it. Steve at Actionbent has been very
helpful, it was easy to assemble and not hard to learn to ride. Someday I'd
like to get a trike as well, but I think the two wheel is more versatile for
my needs right now. I'm sorry to hear about your accident, I hope you
recover fully.

Jeff
"ATP*" wrote in message
I'd like to buy a recumbent and I'm considering purchasing a trike,
mainly so I can do a lot of miles without back problems. However, I have
some concerns about the size of the trike, it looks as if you almost need
a garage to store it. There are some new foldable trikes but it still
looks like an awkward assembly to put away after each ride.

My other concern is having my vision blocked due to the low ride height
in a traffic situation. I don't have any dealers nearby so trying one out
is not an immediate option. I'll be riding in suburban traffic, some
downtown, some semi-rural.

Any comments are appreciated.

A whole lotta Questions! (so i dont make up 5 threads of 5 diffrent questions) Unisykolist Unicycling 25 May 3rd 08 01:35 AM
A whole lotta Questions! (so i dont make up 5 threads of 5 diffrent questions) Unisykolist Unicycling 10 May 2nd 08 07:02 PM
A whole lotta Questions! (so i dont make up 5 threads of 5 diffrent questions) Eddbmxdude Unicycling 0 April 30th 08 10:18 AM
my trike Chuck Recumbent Biking 3 September 17th 06 01:44 PM
Catrike/Trike Seat Questions [email protected] Recumbent Biking 2 January 16th 06 11:03 PM