Good Mirror that clamps on handlebars?

Old February 17th 09, 03:51 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
ATP*

Default Good Mirror that clamps on handlebars?

I have high racer type bars that turn down at the ends, so the typical
bar-end handlebar mirror won't work. I have a Bell mirror that clamps on the
handlebar but it's almost completely worthless, like all the other
accessories now marketed by that firm. It is not only distorted but is just
a flimsy POS. I'm looking for an old-fashioned type of mirror that clamps
on, any ideas? I may have to adapt a motorcycle mirror. Thanks.

Old February 17th 09, 09:18 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Peter Clinch

ATP* wrote:
I have high racer type bars that turn down at the ends, so the typical
bar-end handlebar mirror won't work. I have a Bell mirror that clamps on the
handlebar but it's almost completely worthless, like all the other
accessories now marketed by that firm. It is not only distorted but is just
a flimsy POS. I'm looking for an old-fashioned type of mirror that clamps
on, any ideas? I may have to adapt a motorcycle mirror. Thanks.

I use a BuM Cyclestar. I've yet to come across any bike it won't work
on (mine's an underseat-steer SWB tourer though it's not a 'bent based
design). There is a stalk with ball and socket joints for both the
mirror and the bar clamp so it's possible to wangle it onto most things.

A quick Google finds http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/mirrors.asp

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old February 17th 09, 11:21 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
gotbent[_11_]

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message
ATP* wrote:
[...]

I was going to give a thumbs up to B&M too. They come in two flavors...a
short stalk and a longer stalk (3 in and 6 in) and have both a clamp (screw
drive band type) and a plug type in the package. I use a pair of them on my
Speedmachine and Sunset. When I ride my Trice I use a small mirror that
mounts to the temple of my eyeglasses. My preference here is a 'Take a Look'
here's a link to a picture..they come in two lengths and there is an adapter
so it can be mounted to a foam hat... http://tiny.pl/vzdc

gotbent, aka FRT rider

Old February 17th 09, 07:44 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

ATP* wrote:
[...]

Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 * Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177 * * * * * * *Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net * *http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

I was going to give a thumbs up to B&M too. They come in two flavors...a
short stalk and a longer stalk (3 in and 6 in) and have both a clamp (screw
drive band type) and a plug type in the package. I use a pair of them on my
Speedmachine and Sunset. When I ride my Trice I use a small mirror that
mounts to the temple of my eyeglasses. My preference here is a 'Take a Look'
here's a link to a picture..they come in two lengths and there is an adapter
so it can be mounted to a foam hat...http://tiny.pl/vzdc

gotbent, aka FRT rider

I've been down this road a few years ago. If you want something sturdy
then throw away the clamp and drill a hole through the handle bars.
Find another bolt and put it on till there's no more threads, Then put
the shaft through the hole and use a lock washer and the second bolt
to tighten it up. Works for me. Make sure you drill the hole at the
right angle, there's no second chance. The mirror usually has enough
play in it to fine tune viewing angle.
Old February 17th 09, 07:56 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

ATP* wrote:
[...]

Sorry . . . replace word: "bolt" with "nut".
Old February 17th 09, 09:16 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

On 17 Feb, 16:03, Peter Clinch wrote:
wrote:
I've been down this road a few years ago. If you want something sturdy
then throw away the clamp and drill a hole through the handle bars.

Seems a bit drastic... I'd wait until it proves to be broken
before fixing it. After several years I've never found my standard
one wanting, so haven't felt any need to modify it

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

A few good pot holes and mine would slide around. Of course I'm using
the cheap ones, as when the bike topples over they break. The clamp
that comes with a cheap one is pretty much in the order of duct tape.
I've been riding a ten speed (remember those) with a mirror attached
by drilling a hole through the handle bars. It never moves. I've
replace it once when the bike tipped over and cracked the glass.

Old February 17th 09, 10:56 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
gotbent[_8_]

wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't recommend putting holes in thin wall stressed aluminum tubing
without some carbon fibre/epoxy reinforcement. Al doesn't have great fatigue
strength anyway, and undrilled handlebars have been known to break too.
AAMOF HPVelotechnik had to replace a lot of Speedmachine stems (ca
2001)...thin wall tube, hole for cables, stems broke.

gotbent, aka FRT rider

Old February 18th 09, 02:35 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Sherman[_2_]

ATP* wrote:
I have high racer type bars that turn down at the ends, so the typical
bar-end handlebar mirror won't work. I have a Bell mirror that clamps on the
handlebar but it's almost completely worthless, like all the other
accessories now marketed by that firm. It is not only distorted but is just
a flimsy POS. I'm looking for an old-fashioned type of mirror that clamps
on, any ideas? I may have to adapt a motorcycle mirror. Thanks.

Replace the handlebars with sensible "T-bars".

"C-bars" are UGLY.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll

Good 25.4mm road handlebars? Matt O'Toole Techniques 5 April 21st 06 08:34 PM
Mirror for drop handlebars required Smithy UK 4 July 1st 05 10:22 AM
front der. clamps Derk Techniques 3 June 8th 05 02:14 PM
Cinelli Contact Handlebars - any good? bryanska General 3 June 2nd 05 04:12 AM
FS: Pinarello Seat Clamps Scott Morrison Marketplace 0 January 5th 05 01:18 PM