Good Mirror that clamps on handlebars?

Old February 18th 09, 05:24 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
gotbent[_11_]

Default amended comment (wqs) Good Mirror that clamps on handlebars?

"gotbent" wrote in message

wrote in message
On 17 Feb, 16:03, Peter Clinch wrote:
wrote:
I've been down this road a few years ago. If you want something sturdy
then throw away the clamp and drill a hole through the handle bars.

snip

I've been riding a ten speed (remember those) with a mirror attached
by drilling a hole through the handle bars. snip

I wouldn't recommend putting holes in thin wall stressed aluminum tubing
without some carbon fibre/epoxy reinforcement. Al doesn't have great
fatigue strength anyway, and undrilled handlebars have been known to break
too. AAMOF HPVelotechnik had to replace a lot of Speedmachine stems (ca
2001)...thin wall tube, hole for cables, stems broke.

gotbent, aka FRT rider

If the hole is in a no stress area, like between the edge of your palm and
the end of the bar, there shouldn't be a problem. If the hole is somewere
between your hand and the stem, there could be a stress failure.

gotbent, aka FRT rider

Old February 19th 09, 02:18 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
ATP*

Default Good Mirror that clamps on handlebars?

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
ATP* wrote:
I have high racer type bars that turn down at the ends, so the typical
bar-end handlebar mirror won't work. I have a Bell mirror that clamps on
the handlebar but it's almost completely worthless, like all the other
accessories now marketed by that firm. It is not only distorted but is
just a flimsy POS. I'm looking for an old-fashioned type of mirror that
clamps on, any ideas? I may have to adapt a motorcycle mirror. Thanks.

Replace the handlebars with sensible "T-bars".

"C-bars" are UGLY.

Maybe so, but it's a new bike and I'm just enjoying riding it right now. I
don't want to spend more money just yet....

Old February 21st 09, 06:35 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

... ATP* wrote:
I have high racer type bars that turn down at the ends, so the typical
bar-end handlebar mirror won't work. I have a Bell mirror that clamps on
the handlebar but it's almost completely worthless, like all the other
accessories now marketed by that firm. It is not only distorted but is
just a flimsy POS. I'm looking for an old-fashioned type of mirror that
clamps on, any ideas? I may have to adapt a motorcycle mirror. Thanks.

Replace the handlebars with sensible "T-bars".

"C-bars" are UGLY.

Maybe so, but it's a new bike and I'm just enjoying riding it right now. I
don't want to spend more money just yet....

I disagree, I have been riding the same bicycle with C bars (is that
what they're called?) for many years (won't tell you exactly because I
can't believe it's been that long) and they are not thin walled.
However, I rarely place my hands on the lower curved area because I
like to see where I'm going. So on my bicycle the hole drilled for the
mirror stem is not between my hand and the handle bar post. You don't
need to purchase expensive mirrors, but once you use a mirror you
wonder how you ever managed traffic without one. Also, I like being
able to ride out of the "gutter" until I see a vehicle approaching.
Less flat tires.
Old February 21st 09, 07:50 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
ATP*

... ATP* wrote:
[...]

I think a mirror is a necessity, but I'm not following you on the hand
position. How does placing your hands on the lower curved position block
your vision?

Old February 22nd 09, 12:50 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

... ATP* wrote:
[...]

It doesn't really block my vision, but the natural, unstressed postion
is to be looking at the road about four feet in front of the bicycle.
On a long ride forcing my head back to see the road defeats the
purpose of the recreation, by leaving me with a sore neck. This of
course is the benefit of a recumbant (recumbent) style of bicycle. So
I end up never using the lower portion of the bars. Fortunaltely mine
has the dual brake levers to allow this. I have, in the past, run into
several car doors using the lower portion of the bars to steer with.
Old February 22nd 09, 08:03 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
ATP*

wrote in message

... ATP* wrote:
[...]

THe natural position on my bike seems to be looking up a little too much, if
anything.

Old February 24th 09, 04:33 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

On 22 Feb, 15:03, "ATP*" wrote:
wrote in message

... ATP* wrote:
[...]

Could it be that I'm referring to a "ten speed" racing bike and you're
referring to a recumbent?

Old February 24th 09, 09:50 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
ATP*

wrote in message
On 22 Feb, 15:03, "ATP*" wrote:
wrote in message

... ATP* wrote:
[...]

OK, makes sense now.

Old March 13th 09, 02:43 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
JimmyMac

On Feb 16, 10:51*pm, "ATP*" wrote:
I have high racer type bars that turn down at the ends, so the typical
bar-end handlebar mirror won't work. I have a Bell mirror that clamps on the
handlebar but it's almost completely worthless, like all the other
accessories now marketed by that firm. It is not only distorted but is just
a flimsy POS. I'm looking for an old-fashioned type of mirror that clamps
on, any ideas? I may have to adapt a motorcycle mirror. Thanks.

Here is another good option for you. ... the very sturdy (well made,
vibration free, w/glass reflector), and highly adjustable Mirrycle
Mirror. The problem is that it is intended to mount in the end of the
hanlebar. I have mine moundet to a handlebar clamp made by Minoura.
A few places sell the mirror in this configuration. Check the
following links, for example...

http://www.easystreetrecumbents.com/stuff/safety.html

http://www.calhouncycle.com/ProductC...y=&pageStyle=H

Jim McNamara

Good 25.4mm road handlebars? Matt O'Toole Techniques 5 April 21st 06 08:34 PM
Mirror for drop handlebars required Smithy UK 4 July 1st 05 10:22 AM
front der. clamps Derk Techniques 3 June 8th 05 02:14 PM
Cinelli Contact Handlebars - any good? bryanska General 3 June 2nd 05 04:12 AM
FS: Pinarello Seat Clamps Scott Morrison Marketplace 0 January 5th 05 01:18 PM