Surly Long Haul Trucker: Anybody Over 6'5" Got One?

Old April 20th 09, 11:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Default Surly Long Haul Trucker: Anybody Over 6'5" Got One?

I'm thinking about building up a LHT with parts I have from other
bikes.

The 62cm (largest) size looks kind of like my 24" 1983
StumpJumper - which fits me ok with riser bars on it.

Has anybody over 6'5" built one of these things up and been happy
with the fit?
--
PeteCresswell
Old April 21st 09, 10:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Apr 20, 3:56*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
I'm thinking about building up a LHT with parts I have from other
bikes.

The 62cm (largest) size looks kind of like my 24" 1983
StumpJumper - which fits me ok with riser bars on it.

Has anybody over 6'5" built one of these things up and been happy
with the fit?

I'm nowhere near 6'5" (more like 71-72"), and impressions of my 58 cm
LHT are still forming, but it certainly feels big enough - especially
for my legs. It doesn't really stretch out my torso (need to work on
handlebars), but I don't feel scrunched - even in the drops.

It feels like the cranks are forward (long chainstays, but profound
front wheel / toe overlap w/ 175 mm cranks and sz 47 SPD shoes - esp
w/ fenders).

The head tube is really long on my 58 cm frame. The fork has lots of
steerer tube sticking out above that to play with. I'm going to have
to change the handlebars. When climbing out of the saddle with hands
on the hoods, I can tell that I want to move my hands still more
forward.

My '87 Stumpjumper fits just right (I think the frame is about 22" -
will have to check), and come to think of it, there may be some
similarity in ride to the LHT - without the extra BB drop.
Old April 21st 09, 11:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank Wirtz

On Apr 20, 3:56*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
I'm thinking about building up a LHT with parts I have from other
bikes.

The 62cm (largest) size looks kind of like my 24" 1983
StumpJumper - which fits me ok with riser bars on it.

Has anybody over 6'5" built one of these things up and been happy
with the fit?
--
PeteCresswell

I'm 6'0" and have a 60cm LHT. I have a fistful of seatpost showing and
have a short (8cm) stem on it, and it rides great. I'm sure I'd have
been fine with the 58cm frame, which tells me that the 62 will
probably be just dandy for you, and not need a freakishly long stem or
a foot of exposed post.
Old April 22nd 09, 01:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Apr 21, 2:53*pm, Dan O wrote:
[...]

Pete could get a Soma Smoothie ES in a 64cm or 66 cm frame if he
doesn't want a lot of seat post showing. See http://www.somafab.com/extrasmoothie.html

As for a 62cm LHT, it has what I consider a near perfect TT length --
60.3cm (longer than the Soma). For me, at 6'3" 1/2, a 62cm frame
mean a good bit of seat post and stem showing, but that is perfectly
fine if I have a right-sized top tube. Even in my old age and
decrepitude, I like being pretty stretched out. I think the LHT would
be fine for a bigger guy so long as he does not mind a stem with some
rise and a fair amount of seat post showing.

BTW, I find that in these days of long seat posts and stems with
rise, the seat tube length is almost the least of my worries. It is
the other dimensions -- TT length, headtube height, seat tube angle
and seat set back, etc. that make the difference to me. I am
currently commuting on a 60cm Cannondale cross bike, which would be
too small for me but for the long seat post, stem and 60cm top tube.
Great bike, although a bit sluggish due to the accumulation of wax-
based chain lube and general winter filth. -- Jay Beattie.
Old April 23rd 09, 12:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Jay Beattie:
BTW, I find that in these days of long seat posts and stems with
rise, the seat tube length is almost the least of my worries. It is
the other dimensions -- TT length, headtube height, seat tube angle
and seat set back, etc. that make the difference to me.

Actually, since taking up MTB as my primary ride, I've come to
like a good bit of seatpost showing.

My main concerns are cockpit length (not too long, yet enough
room for my size fifteens to not contend too much with the front
wheel) and handlebar height.

I don't have any overt injuries, but if my bars aren't right
around seat height, I'm just not comfortable.

Here's my current bread-and-butter bike - that fits me better
than any bike I've ever owned except maybe for a 26" Fuji
10-speed a loooong time ago: http://tinyurl.com/c2boe4

One fantasy I have is translating that frame's dimensions into a
rigid diamond frame. Maybe in the form of something like
SyCip's Diesel (http://www.sycip.com/Pages/diesel.html)
--
PeteCresswell
Old April 23rd 09, 01:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Apr 22, 4:16*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per Jay Beattie:

BTW, *I find that in these days of long seat posts and stems with
rise, the seat tube length is almost the least of my worries. *It is
the other dimensions -- TT length, headtube height, seat tube angle
and seat set back, etc. that make the difference to me.

Actually, since taking up MTB as my primary ride, I've come to
like a good bit of seatpost showing.

My main concerns are cockpit length (not too long, yet enough
room for my size fifteens to not contend too much with the front
wheel) and handlebar height. *

I don't have any overt injuries, but if my bars aren't right
around seat height, I'm just not comfortable.

Here's my current bread-and-butter bike - that fits me better
than any bike I've ever owned except maybe for a 26" Fuji
10-speed a loooong time ago: *http://tinyurl.com/c2boe4

Nice ride. If you die, leave it to me! I am going to buy an XC bike
this summer so I can do a little trail riding with my son. I have
previously used my cross bike, but it has limitations, particularly on
very steep trails.

If anyone can recommend a good bang for the buck XC bike (a hard tail
would be acceptable), let me know. Like I said, I'm 6'31/2" with a 34
inch inseam. -- Jay Beattie.
Old April 24th 09, 01:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Jay Beattie:
If anyone can recommend a good bang for the buck XC bike (a hard tail
would be acceptable), let me know. Like I said, I'm 6'31/2" with a 34
inch inseam.

From what I gleaned from a conversation with one of the big
maker's reps, you might be right on the cusp of off-the-shelf.

I'm beyond it.

Actually I needed a bike as nice as the one shown like I needed
another hole in the head. If my wife ever finds out I spent
enough on a freaking bicycle frame to feed an entire Somali
village for two months I'm dead meat.

But the custom frame with an extra quarter of an inch here, an
inch there.... makes all the diff in the world.

I'd been through trying to shoehorn myself into a series of
off-the-shelf FS frames, but they never felt right.

That one feels *right*. If I'd just gone and blown the bucks on
it on day one I'd be ahead of the game dollarwise - but behind
the game in the ability to appreciate the diff between an
almost-fit and a real fit.

To your question, I had a Cannondale Jekyll that seemed pretty
good to me - with the added appeal of the lefty fork to the
exhibitionist in me. I also still have an Ellsworth Isis XL
that would probably fit you (not for sale...). Only caution I'd
offer up with Ellsworth is that you want to have a dealer to go
to bat for you in a warranty situation.
--
PeteCresswell
Old April 24th 09, 05:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_3_]

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
[...]
To your question, I had a Cannondale Jekyll that seemed pretty
good to me - with the added appeal of the lefty fork to the
exhibitionist in me.[...]

How can something with only one leg be a fork?

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll
Old April 24th 09, 05:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article ,
Tom Sherman wrote:

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
[...] To your question, I had a Cannondale Jekyll that seemed
pretty good to me - with the added appeal of the lefty fork to the
exhibitionist in me.[...]

How can something with only one leg be a fork?

LOL! I never thought of that. I guess it's a strut.
Old May 30th 09, 09:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Brian Grone

Hi Pete,
I'm 6'5.5" and just got my 62cm Long Haul Trucker Complete all put
together. Woohoo! The fork steerer is uncut, with three stock spacers
stacked in there. It fit me great with the handlebars at 42" and the
saddle at 43". I changed the stock handlebar, which is short where it
should be long and long where it should be short, for a nice Nitto
Randonneur 45cm bar. Unless you need the handlebars higher, I think
you'll be happy with the LHT.

-Brian