Cheap bright tail light

Old August 29th 14, 05:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
somebody[_2_]

Default Cheap bright tail light

Just got one of these:

http://www.fasttech.com/products/160...de-red-bicycle

It is bright enough to leave retina spots. I am impressed for the $13
price. Now it's time to do some real world testing.

Only nit: I would like a lower duty cycle flash for better battery
life.

It has a built-in lithium cell, I'm thinking of adding an external
connection for a 18650 cell or pack.
Old August 29th 14, 09:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

somebody wrote:
Just got one of these:

http://www.fasttech.com/products/160...de-red-bicycle

It is bright enough to leave retina spots. I am impressed for the $13
price. Now it's time to do some real world testing.

Only nit: I would like a lower duty cycle flash for better battery
life.

It has a built-in lithium cell, I'm thinking of adding an external
connection for a 18650 cell or pack.

Let us know how it fares. I never had luck with these removeable
slide-in holders. Eventually the lights fly off into the bushes, never
to be found again. Ok, I am a mountain biker.

On the last one I jammed a screw through there.

Why doesn't anyone offer a decent light set where there actually is a
2nd wired connection at the battery pack and also one at the tail light?
Why do bicyclists always have to kludge in order to get good stuff?
Battery powered rear lights are adding risk to cycling. Because you may
not notice when they run out of juice and then a car driver may not
notice you ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old August 29th 14, 09:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_7_]

Joerg wrote:
somebody wrote:
[...]

I'm getting a bit of tired by your complaints. Get to the drawing board and
design one by yourself and let a machinist make it for you. Oh wait you are
also cheap. That is the problem.

--
Lou
Old August 29th 14, 10:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Lou Holtman wrote:
Joerg wrote:
somebody wrote:
[...]

No, that is not the problem. In the days of light bulbs one could buy a
sturdy metal-encased lamp that would last. Now one can't. That's the
problem.

Old August 29th 14, 10:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_7_]

Joerg wrote:
Lou Holtman wrote:
Joerg wrote:
somebody wrote:
[...]

There are plenty metal encased lamps that last. Only not for 15 dollar.

--
Lou
Old August 29th 14, 10:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Lou Holtman wrote:
Joerg wrote:
Lou Holtman wrote:
Joerg wrote:
somebody wrote:
[...]

Ones with a battery pack connection? Got an example?

I have only seen motorcycle lamps like that and if needed I'll buy one.
But that would require a 12V step-up converter which I have to build and
which has to fit inside the light, plus roach in a switch somehow somewhere.

Old August 29th 14, 11:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 8/29/2014 5:26 PM, Joerg wrote:
Lou Holtman wrote:
Joerg wrote:

Why doesn't anyone offer a decent light set where there actually is a
2nd wired connection at the battery pack and also one at the tail light?
Why do bicyclists always have to kludge in order to get good stuff?
Battery powered rear lights are adding risk to cycling. Because you may
not notice when they run out of juice and then a car driver may not
notice you ...

I'm getting a bit of tired by your complaints. Get to the drawing board and
design one by yourself and let a machinist make it for you. Oh wait you are
also cheap. That is the problem.

No, that is not the problem. In the days of light bulbs one could buy a
sturdy metal-encased lamp that would last. Now one can't. That's the
problem.

The problem is that (at least in the U.S.) few people ride at night.
People think it's hideously dangerous. And of course they all have
cars. So the market is small.

And most of those who do ride at night tend to do it pretty rarely, only
in near-ideal conditions, because they're doing it only for fun. So
they tend to be pretty easy on their equipment. If it lasts only 50
hours, they'll get perhaps ten years use out of it.

Also, regarding one of your specific complaints, most people don't see a
need to run wires from a central battery to a taillight. AA or AAA
batteries in taillights last a long, long time and are easy to buy and
change.

The few of us that may be light connoisseurs often tend to be reasonably
good mechanics and/or machinists. We make what we want. I've got
totally custom headlight mounts on three bikes (varying degrees of
sophistication), and somewhat customized ones on two others. With a
collection of scrap metal, a vise and drill and maybe some taps, you can
do a lot.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 30th 14, 12:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Lou Holtman wrote:
Joerg wrote:

[...]

That is because hardly anyone commutes anymore which is sad. Serious
commuting means including winter and then one or both trips will require
lights. So 50 hours would be gone in a month or two. I run through
batteries as if it was popcorn. Environmentally not so cool. Luckily the
front one on the MTB is Li-Ion but one of them already starts to fade.

Also, regarding one of your specific complaints, most people don't see a
need to run wires from a central battery to a taillight. AA or AAA
batteries in taillights last a long, long time and are easy to buy and
change.

You cannot get any serious light out of AAA and that's all you normally
find. A 2W LED will suck AAA dry in very few hours. Cygolite has Li-Ion
but then the light is in one of those chintzy snap holders so you can
carry it inside to your computer. My last light with such a holder flew
off half way into a ride. I heard it crash into the bush and it was gone
for good.

The few of us that may be light connoisseurs often tend to be reasonably
good mechanics and/or machinists. We make what we want. I've got
totally custom headlight mounts on three bikes (varying degrees of
sophistication), and somewhat customized ones on two others. With a
collection of scrap metal, a vise and drill and maybe some taps, you can
do a lot.

I guess that's what I'll have to do but first I'll visit the local
motorcycle store because that industry is a tad better when it come to
serious quality stuff.

I don't mind making a light mount but I'd need some kind of light that I
can securely attach to that and where bumping into it won't crack
anything. Because on an MTB you must sometimes hover over the rear wheel
and it's easy to bump into the tail light. Something like this with LEDs
in there would be nice:

http://www.amazon.com/Protective-Alu...QVDGNNEGG130D8

Many of the "modern" LED light for motorcycles are junk, just like those
for bicycles. The good stuff would need to be retrofitted.

Old August 30th 14, 12:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 8/29/2014 7:01 PM, Joerg wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:

The problem is that (at least in the U.S.) few people ride at night.
People think it's hideously dangerous. And of course they all have
cars. So the market is small.

And most of those who do ride at night tend to do it pretty rarely, only
in near-ideal conditions, because they're doing it only for fun. So
they tend to be pretty easy on their equipment. If it lasts only 50
hours, they'll get perhaps ten years use out of it.

That is because hardly anyone commutes anymore which is sad.

Oh, but that's not true! Everyone knows that bike use is surging! Why,
as this article states,
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...t_popular.html
"Bicycle Commuting Rates Rocket From 0.5 Percent to 0.6 Percent in Only
32 Years!"

According to the League of American Bicyclist's usual modus operandi,
that should be trumpeted as a 20% increase!!! ;-)

Serious
commuting means including winter and then one or both trips will require
lights. So 50 hours would be gone in a month or two. I run through
batteries as if it was popcorn. Environmentally not so cool. Luckily the
front one on the MTB is Li-Ion but one of them already starts to fade.

Yep. Another couple reasons to love generators or dynamos. They last
damned near forever, and low temperatures don't bother them.

Also, regarding one of your specific complaints, most people don't see a
need to run wires from a central battery to a taillight. AA or AAA
batteries in taillights last a long, long time and are easy to buy and
change.

You cannot get any serious light out of AAA and that's all you normally
find. A 2W LED will suck AAA dry in very few hours.

Do you really need 2 Watts into a rear red LED? Even bog standard red
LEDs are pretty efficient, in terms of lumens per watt. And since
you're moving with traffic, motorists generally have plenty of time to
spot you.

Everyone else has heard this from me before, but: I heartily recommend
enlisting a helper, and observing your bike and it's nighttime equipment
in your normal traffic conditions. Have your helper ride the bike, and
drive past him from various directions.

I've done this every once in a while since about 1978 or so. (Actually,
in '78, I did the riding, my wife did the driving, and my son did the
note taking.) I've also done it several times with bike club members, a
couple times as a formal "night lighting workshop."

I mention this because people have invariably learned that it doesn't
require huge outputs of dollars or lumens to make a cyclist very
conspicuous at night. Except for my now modern headlights, most of my
night equipment is very ordinary, and there have been many times (at
least six) that I've gotten spontaneous compliments from motorists,
pedestrians, and other cyclists on how well my lights and reflectors
show up. (And don't forget, reflectors and reflective tape can work very
well - especially low on the bike, and on moving parts.)

You should try testing your bike's lights that way. It may give you
peace of mind.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 30th 14, 01:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:

[...]

:-)

But I do have to say that since they started putting in more bike paths
and bike lanes it has picked up more than that here in the last 7-8
years. To the point where new bike dealers are opening while until 2005
they were dying left and right.

I also see some more longhaul commuters in road bikes.

What is sad is that some beautiful trails out here are barely used. When
I see another montain biker there we great each other enthusiastically
because that happens maybe once a month and I ride them 2-3 times a week.

Serious
commuting means including winter and then one or both trips will require
lights. So 50 hours would be gone in a month or two. I run through
batteries as if it was popcorn. Environmentally not so cool. Luckily the
front one on the MTB is Li-Ion but one of them already starts to fade.

Yep. Another couple reasons to love generators or dynamos. They last
damned near forever, and low temperatures don't bother them.

Only as long as there is also a sizeable rechargeable battery.

Also, regarding one of your specific complaints, most people don't see a
need to run wires from a central battery to a taillight. AA or AAA
batteries in taillights last a long, long time and are easy to buy and
change.

You cannot get any serious light out of AAA and that's all you normally
find. A 2W LED will suck AAA dry in very few hours.

Do you really need 2 Watts into a rear red LED?

Oh yeah.

[...]

On my road bike that's true. It is hugely decked out with reflectors and
I don't need lots of lumens and the light does not have to be full metal
or very sturdy. On the front I need something better though because I
need to see farther out for top speed.

On the MTB that's all different. No space for reflectors, everything I
tried flew off. A small light gives inattentive drivers the impression
that something is far away and I had a few close calls. I mostly like to
be seen also during the day and I want my tail light to stand out from
the crowd. So that despite it's small size people wake up and think
"Whoa, there's something weird up there".

I see that on county roads where bikers with really bright lights stand
out. You see them from half a mile away and can easily prepare for the
time you have to pass them.