Alternatives to handlebar tape?

Old October 25th 16, 05:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Alternatives to handlebar tape?

On Monday, October 24, 2016 at 5:47:32 PM UTC-7, Ralph Barone wrote:
Joerg wrote:

For the lower section I could use longer MTB handles. Those are much
better than road bike stuff. Up top I may do something with leather once
this next tape is done. Maybe leather plus rope, not stitched but
wrapped around like with the golf clubs someone showed here.

I still think there would be a market for "Instant tape from a can".
Mask ... shake vigorously ... phhhhhhhhhhht ... done. Just like almost
everyone now uses Pam out of a spray can for greasing a skillet instead
of real grease.

Try a Google search for "spray on truck bed liner". Just mask off the bits
you don't want coated.

Ralph - what do you do when you want to remove the levers for servicing?
Old October 25th 16, 05:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, October 12, 2016 at 4:24:32 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
Just renewed the handlebar tape on my road bike. Again. My sweat doesn't
seem to be compatible with it and also it tears whenever I scrape a bush
or something. Friends have told me that it wouldn't be much better if
I'd use cork or some other fancy material. In contrast, the handlebar
rubbers on my MTB have held up over two years with no discrenible wear,
despite several crashes (no crashes with the road bike).

I wouldn't mind riding the bare aluminum which is what I end up doing a
lot once the tape is in tatters. But it leaves nasty black markings in
my palms which are hard to scrub away and might also not be very healthy.

Is there any alternative to this flimsy handlebar tape? Leather that can
be glued on? Half shells that can be screwed on? Some tough texture spray?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Apparently I'm not the only one impressed with the Shimano Pro Bar Tape. They had seven reviews and one of the people gave it only four stars but without having one single "con" on the stuff.

http://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-Pro...ntrol-Bar-Tape
Old October 25th 16, 09:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 07:44:29 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

Looks like it can be mail-ordered he
http://www.pocketrubber.com/
Thanks, Barry.

From what they write one could carry the remaining spool in the pannier
to use in case of first aid to an injured rider. I always have some
electrical tape in there but the glue on it fades in viability over the
course of summer.

That looks very much like the rolls of self fusing silicone tape sold
at hamfests for waterproofing coax cable and hardware stores for
sealing plumbing. For example:
http://www.rescuetape.com
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/USA-Brand-18-USD-for-3-Rolls-Silicone-Performance-Rescue-Tape-Self-Fusing-Tape-Bonding-Electrical/1627634_32267555068.html
Mo
https://www.google.com/search?q=self+fusing+tape&tbm=isch
It works tolerably well on coax cables, and should do as well on
handlebars. My only objection to the stuff is the price.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old October 25th 16, 09:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

Looks like it can be mail-ordered he
http://www.pocketrubber.com/
Thanks, Barry.

From what they write one could carry the remaining spool in the pannier
to use in case of first aid to an injured rider. I always have some
electrical tape in there but the glue on it fades in viability over the
course of summer.

That looks very much like the rolls of self fusing silicone tape sold
at hamfests for waterproofing coax cable and hardware stores for
sealing plumbing. For example:
http://www.rescuetape.com
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/USA-Brand-18-USD-for-3-Rolls-Silicone-Performance-Rescue-Tape-Self-Fusing-Tape-Bonding-Electrical/1627634_32267555068.html
Mo
https://www.google.com/search?q=self+fusing+tape&tbm=isch
It works tolerably well on coax cables, and should do as well on
handlebars. My only objection to the stuff is the price.

4 rolls of 10ft length each at $22 is expensive? I paid a lot more per
foot for handlebar tape.

Old October 25th 16, 09:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-10-25 09:53, wrote:
[...]

Looks like the whole back is adhesive-coated and not just the usual
small strip. $10 is less than what I paid for my regular tape. IIRC that
also came from Jenson.

Enertered into the wiki file for the road bike so maybe I'll try tape
two more times. This Shimano stuff, then Pocket Rubber, and if all that
fails truck bed liner spray.

Old October 25th 16, 11:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

Looks like it can be mail-ordered he
http://www.pocketrubber.com/
Thanks, Barry.

From what they write one could carry the remaining spool in the pannier
to use in case of first aid to an injured rider. I always have some
electrical tape in there but the glue on it fades in viability over the
course of summer.

That looks very much like the rolls of self fusing silicone tape sold
at hamfests for waterproofing coax cable and hardware stores for
sealing plumbing. For example:
http://www.rescuetape.com
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/USA-Brand-18-USD-for-3-Rolls-Silicone-Performance-Rescue-Tape-Self-Fusing-Tape-Bonding-Electrical/1627634_32267555068.html
Mo
https://www.google.com/search?q=self+fusing+tape&tbm=isch
It works tolerably well on coax cables, and should do as well on
handlebars. My only objection to the stuff is the price.

4 rolls of 10ft length each at $22 is expensive? I paid a lot more per
foot for handlebar tape.

http://www.rescuetape.com/shop/rescue-tape-6-pack/
6 rolls of 12ft length at $45 or $0.63/ft

I based my pricing expectation on the cost of Duct Tape.
30 ft for $8 or $0.24/ft, which is my definition of cheap, errr...
affordable.
https://totalwomenscycling.com/road-cycling/maintenance/many-times-can-use-duct-tape-bike-47875/

Under suggested uses:
http://www.rescuetape.com/suggested-uses/
it offers "Sport Grips & Tool Handles" which is close enough to
bicycle handlebars.

Hmmm... 3% water absorption:
http://www.rescuetape.com/technical-data/

"Padded Road Bike Handlebars on the cheap!"
http://www.instructables.com/id/Padded-Road-Bike-Handlebars-on-the-cheap!/?ALLSTEPS

Old October 26th 16, 02:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Joerg wrote:

For the lower section I could use longer MTB handles. Those are much
better than road bike stuff. Up top I may do something with leather once
this next tape is done. Maybe leather plus rope, not stitched but
wrapped around like with the golf clubs someone showed here.

I still think there would be a market for "Instant tape from a can".
Mask ... shake vigorously ... phhhhhhhhhhht ... done. Just like almost
everyone now uses Pam out of a spray can for greasing a skillet instead
of real grease.

Try a Google search for "spray on truck bed liner". Just mask off the bits
you don't want coated.

Ralph - what do you do when you want to remove the levers for servicing?

Unscrew the adjustment screws enough and the whole thing should just fall
apart. Whether you will enjoy reassembling the whole mess on the handlebars
is a different question.

Handlebar Tape Ben C Techniques 15 July 11th 09 01:23 AM
Worn handlebar tape. elyob UK 6 May 6th 08 05:47 PM
Handlebar tape? B.B. Techniques 30 June 7th 05 08:25 PM
FS: NOS Benotto Handlebar Tape Kristan Roberge Marketplace 0 August 9th 04 06:01 AM
WTB Pink handlebar tape Morgan Fletcher Marketplace 1 May 24th 04 03:39 AM