Does anyone post anything about recumbent bikes here?

Old April 11th 05, 02:44 PM
mugwump

Default Does anyone post anything about recumbent bikes here?

It looks like the couple a-holes who were mucking this place up have
left, but I guess they chased off everyone else before they too
departed.

Anyone have a Giant Revive (I know, not a "real" recumbent)? I am
thinking of getting one for my wife. Anyone know where I can get a
deal on a new or used revive?

Thanks!
Old April 11th 05, 08:40 PM
Bob Socks

Rievives are great for a casual ride around the neighborhood (provided you
don't live in a hilly neighborhood).

Where to get one? Your local Giant dealer would be your obvious first
choice - and go from there. If you are looking for a used one then eBay
would be a good bet. You might try some of the recumbent for sale boards,
but as you say they aren't real recumbents.

BS

Old April 12th 05, 02:02 AM
mugwump

She'll probably ride it 4 times per year, just around the
neighborhood, not too hilly. I hate to blow so much money for such
minimal riding, but everytime she rides her current bike she complains
about it. All the things she complains about seem to be corrected in
the Revive.

Who knows, maybe if she like the Revive she'll ride more...
Old April 12th 05, 03:45 AM
Bob Socks

"mugwump" wrote in message
She'll probably ride it 4 times per year, just around the
neighborhood, not too hilly. I hate to blow so much money for such
minimal riding, but everytime she rides her current bike she complains
about it. All the things she complains about seem to be corrected in
the Revive.

Who knows, maybe if she like the Revive she'll ride more...

From all reports the Revive is an easy bike to ride and is comfortable for
short distances. This sounds like what your wife would like.

I took a look at eBay and didn't find one there.

I suppose you have considered the EZ One and theTailwind. They would be
capable of longer rides, with greater comfort and performance over the long
haul in my opinion.

BS

Old April 12th 05, 12:43 PM
Jon Meinecke

"mugwump" wrote
She'll probably ride it 4 times per year, just around the
neighborhood, not too hilly. I hate to blow so much money for such
minimal riding, but everytime she rides her current bike she complains
about it. All the things she complains about seem to be corrected in
the Revive.

Who knows, maybe if she like the Revive she'll ride more...

BikeE may also address the comfort issues of casual/infrequent
riders. They may be easier to locate used/cheap, for a while
there were a number of NOS (new old stock) of the discontinued
BikeE models. They still seem to appear fairly regularly on
used bike for sale lists.

BikeEs are not limited to short distance rides. I rode mine on
a number of 50 milers. BikeEs are great utility bikes, too.

Jon

Old April 13th 05, 03:18 AM
mugwump

I looked at Bike Es. I don't think they are suitable for her. She
will immediately complain about the chain (possibly greasing up her
pants) and rlelatively high step over height.

A "real" recumbent is also out, even though for the same price range
it would be better for distance riding. She won't ride distance, so
all the things that contribute to distance comfort and efficiency
would be a problem.

No, I need low step over hieght, flat-foot capability, covered chain,
size for 5'2" tall woman, kick stand, fenders, and maybe a basket of
some sort. Minimal gear shifting is preferred, like a 3 or 7 speed
hub would be ideal. Cushy seat, back support a plus.

I'll keep watching ebay I guess.

Thanks!
Old April 13th 05, 02:04 PM
Jon Meinecke

"mugwump" wrote
I looked at Bike Es. I don't think they are suitable for her. She
will immediately complain about the chain (possibly greasing up her
pants) and rlelatively high step over height.

The best bike for her (anyone) is the one she *will ride*, of course.
Perception is reality. The "perfect" bike, sitting unused, is by
definition, not the best bike.

A "real" recumbent is also out, even though for the same price range
it would be better for distance riding. She won't ride distance, so

Many of us recumbent converts are riding distances we might
unlikely have considered "BR" (before recumbent). Within 6
months of being told I'd need back surgery, I was riding 25-30
miles recumbently and avoided the surgery. 50 miles within a
year and enjoying it.

I now have a couple of other recumbents much better suited to
long-range cycling that the BikeE. Most of my BikeE rides are
now just jump-on-and-go 5-10 milers.

all the things that contribute to distance comfort and efficiency
would be a problem.

Not sure what this is referring to... "Real" recumbents cover a
lot of territory, design-wise, geometry-wise, etc... I wasn't
(and still don't) set any speed records riding distances
comfortably. Many of the things that contribute to distance
comfort also contribute to short-haul comfort. Some of
the things that contribute to distance efficiency and speed
may be problematic for more casual riding (bottom bracket
height, seating angle, clipless pedals, etc...)

No, I need low step over height, flat-foot capability, covered chain,
size for 5'2" tall woman, kick stand, fenders, and maybe a basket of
some sort. Minimal gear shifting is preferred, like a 3 or 7 speed
hub would be ideal. Cushy seat, back support a plus.

If lacking a covered chain is a show stopper then there are few
choices. None the less, the step-over height of the BikeE
compared to the Revive is probably only slightly higher. And
the seat height is lower for "flat footing". The seat and back
may be more supportive and comfortable in the long run than
the Revive, even for short rides. With a 20 liter plastic storage
box mounted behind the seat on mine, it is a great utility bike.
People from 6 to 70 years old and 4' to 6'6"+ tall have ridden my
BikeE. It's a very adjustable and "people friendly" design.

Have you/she ridden many recumbents? The standard advise
for people considering a recumbent (or indeed any bike) is to
try it. Try as many different styles as you can. The EZ line
of bikes and trikes might be a good place to start. Also, RANS
Tailwind, and probably others...

If the Revive is what she wants, don't let a few $$$s stand
in the way. Life it too short not to have the bike you want! %^)

Good luck,

Jon Meinecke

I bike therefore I am.

Old April 13th 05, 02:07 PM
BentJay

I think there's an issue with the Revives. I seem to recall that, if
you got a flat on the rear tire it was not field-repairable for some
reason. You had to bring it in to the shop. Can anyone remember what
that problem was?

BentJay

See my tour journal at: http://aroundthelake.crazyguyonabike.com

Old April 14th 05, 03:46 PM
mugwump

She is in medical school and has even less time for bike shopping than
for riding, so I must handle this (and all other) situation for her,
as many times as it takes until she is satisfied.

Based on what I know, she would find a real recumbent intimidating.
She must be protected from exposure to the dirty parts of a bike. She
finds managing two gear shifters overly complicated, and for the
riding she will do, it is completely unnecessary to have two. She
will never fix a tire, oil a chain, or adjust a bearing.

To give you an example of what we're dealing with, we have an older
BMW that has power adjusting seats. She drives that car most of the
time. If we are going somewhere together and taking that car, even
though she hates driving, she will usually drive anyway, citing the
trouble it is to readjust the car seat to fit her as the reason for
doing so. yes, she would rather suffer the drive than push a couple
buttons to readjust the car seat. I consider this an improvement. It
means there is something she hates more than driving.

Why does she want a bike at all, you may ask... She wants a bike
because I have two. Nevermind that I actually ride mine daily. It is
a matter of "fairness".

I wish it weren't so, but that is the situation.
Old April 14th 05, 03:49 PM
mugwump

On 13 Apr 2005 06:07:13 -0700, "BentJay" wrote:

I think there's an issue with the Revives. I seem to recall that, if
you got a flat on the rear tire it was not field-repairable for some
reason. You had to bring it in to the shop. Can anyone remember what
that problem was?

It is really hard to imagine ANY bike design that uses pneumatic tires
and has no way for them to be repaired without a trip to the shop. I
will be doing any and all maintenance and repair work on the bike.
She will most definitely NEVER touch it.