ARBR has gone downhill

Old December 9th 03, 04:23 PM
Jack Davis

Default ARBR has gone downhill

One thing bike riding teaches us is that for every "downhill" there will be
an uphill.....

"Al Kubeluis" wrote in message
Hello Bikers,
I have practically stopped using arbr because of off topic stuff and
personal attacks and nit picking. OT has almost destroyed arbr.
The attacks on Bryan Ball re his sign off message are another example

of
the venom and nit picking of a few on this group.
(Bryan contributes immensely to recumbents and cycling with his
Bentrideronline.)
Ed Dolan started out in good humor to counter liberal biases on arbr,
but he has over done it.
But Ed Dolan is not the only, or even main, OT poster. Tom Sherman,

for
one, posts many liberal OT posts.
I'm just plain sick of OT posts. Yes, one filters posts, but is it
worthwhile, especially when there are good alternatives as Bentrideronline
and Yahoo Groups.
There are many here who focus on biking and contribute worthwhile

ideas,
humor, and friendship, but these folks are getting drowned in a sea of
politics and personal attacks and nit picking that has nothing to do with
biking.
Those who want to talk politics, go to a politics newsgroup.
Those that want to fight, email duel.
And those that need to show how clever they are, go to a Mensa group.
Try to recall those that you really like and who have left arbr over

the
years or who hardly post any more and ask "Why?".
Sincerely,
Al Kubeluis

Old December 9th 03, 04:45 PM
Lars S. Mulford

Howdy folks!

I've been reading this newsgroup for quite some time, but only within the
last few months have I started to contribute posts and whatnot. You know
what works best with this stuff? IGNORE IT.

Filters or no filters, is it REALLY that big a deal to just ignore what you
know is likely to be crap? The offending parties will continue ONLY if they
have an audience. If we collectively QUIT responding to the crap, it will
eventually die down and perhaps even go away. It may take awhile, but time
is on our side with this.

The gray area here is that there are a handful of posters who are equally as
offensive and baiting as some of the more notable examples but they actually
contribute topic related stuff now and again. What I'd say to those is to
grow up. I mean really! What purpose are you serving spouting off in here?
If you want to make some real impact, think globally, act locally. Get
involved in the scene within your own region. You certainly aren't
impressing me by writing tripe in a BIKING NEWSGROUP. When you think about
it, the folks that are doing this are coming off looking like idiots, NOT so
much because of their message (or lack of it) but because of their method of
delivery. You offenders out there have chosen a biking newsgroup to spout
forth? Grow the hell up.

I'll still be here, writing and asking questions about recumbents and
related. I say to those who really are thinking of leaving, please don't.
In the big scheme of things, this is but a minor nuisance. Let the
political idiots and baiters on here be silly all they want. If they've no
audience in which to play on, they'll go bye-bye soon enough.

--
"Sea" ya!
--Lars S. Mulford

Old December 9th 03, 05:04 PM
Mikael Seierup

I'm _not_ trolling here but you sorta forgot to add
"Don't contribute to threads about the sad state of the group
or drama queen farewell threads."
Almost more of these now or maybe I just got all the Dolan/Sherman-
and Love vs. the world-threads killed off.

Yes in a perfect world we would only post about recumbents here
but sadly it isnt a perfect world. Just be happy we are not a target
for spammers. Now thats noise.

These things most appropriately come in cycles. There was one in
the summer of 2000 too. Group didn't selfdestruct then and I doubt it
will now.

M.
Old December 9th 03, 07:00 PM
Mikael Seierup

"Mikael Seierup" skrev...
I'm _not_ trolling here but you sorta forgot to add
"Don't contribute to threads about the sad state of the group
or drama queen farewell threads."

Sorry. Grumpiness attack when I wrote this.
Still all these threads arent reducing the noise in the group.

M.
Old December 9th 03, 08:59 PM
Hellbent Rick

It's rather ironic that the off topic subjects are the ones with the longest
threads. Makes you wonder if the subject of recumbents is boring. Perhaps
it's the same old stupid crap regurgitated year after year. How many times
do we have to read about numb feet? Or how about Pedaling techniques or
"What type of outfit should I wear with my stupid looking bent?" Or how
about the age old question that every Rabid Dork ponders at, "Wouldn't I
look cool with a propeller mounted on my stupid helmet?" However, all these
subjects are below my threshold of pain. It's not the people here
expressing their off-topic, bed-wetting political views, it's stupid
subjects such as, " I place a catheter on my penis so that I can relieve
myself without stopping to **** like a 'normal human being'. So who's going
to 'One-up' on that statement and confess, "Well I too have a catheter and
have even made a hole in the bottom of my seat so that I can crap heehee,
good thing I got Planet bike fenders,heeehee." At first glance these
statements sound hilarious, but these people are dead serious!!

R. Horwitz
www.hellbentcycles.com

Old December 9th 03, 09:19 PM
Edward Dolan

"Lars S. Mulford" wrote in message ...

Howdy folks!

I've been reading this newsgroup for quite some time, but only within the
last few months have I started to contribute posts and whatnot. You know
what works best with this stuff? IGNORE IT.

Filters or no filters, is it REALLY that big a deal to just ignore what you
know is likely to be crap?

You are quite correct here Lars. Filter are for idiots who can't bear
the thought of ignoring a post. They have got to read it. Of course I
don't blame them when it is one of my posts. I realize I am
irresistible!

The offending parties will continue ONLY if they
have an audience. If we collectively QUIT responding to the crap, it will
eventually die down and perhaps even go away. It may take awhile, but time
is on our side with this.

The gray area here is that there are a handful of posters who are equally as
offensive and baiting as some of the more notable examples but they actually
contribute topic related stuff now and again.

So it is OK with you if some of these idiots post their liberal
agendas as long as they are also posting some recumbent related stuff?
I don't see it that way at all. I can do my rejoinders to any and all
the liberal posts and I do not have to post any recumbent related
stuff in order to justify it. Maybe you should do a bit of growing up!

What I'd say to those is to
grow up. I mean really! What purpose are you serving spouting off in here?
If you want to make some real impact, think globally, act locally. Get
involved in the scene within your own region. You certainly aren't
impressing me by writing tripe in a BIKING NEWSGROUP.

I am not bent on impressing anyone, but I am bent on refuting all the
liberal obnoxious posting that goes on here. You will find me a
perfect gentleman on recumbent related stuff (if and when I ever get
around to it) but I am in battle mode when I am contending with
liberals, whom I regard as traitors to this country.

When you think about
it, the folks that are doing this are coming off looking like idiots, NOT so
much because of their message (or lack of it) but because of their method of
delivery. You offenders out there have chosen a biking newsgroup to spout
forth? Grow the hell up.

Pay attention to what I am saying , now how I am saying it. Unless you
are a liberal yourself of course. In that case, apply it to yourself
in full measure.

I'll still be here, writing and asking questions about recumbents and
related. I say to those who really are thinking of leaving, please don't.

I encourage all those who want to leave to leave. They won't be missed
and there will be others to fill their shoes and to carry on. No one
is indispensable or even important to a newsgroup for heaven's sake.
Try to think of yourself as a cog in a machine and you will have
realized your true importance in the over all scheme of things.

In the big scheme of things, this is but a minor nuisance. Let the
political idiots and baiters on here be silly all they want. If they've no
audience in which to play on, they'll go bye-bye soon enough.

That is what I have been saying all along. But this newsgroup is
replete with anal-obsessive types who are controllers and can't stand
the thought of anyone except themselves having anything to say. I
can't tell you how much I am relishing their frustration.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota
Old December 9th 03, 09:31 PM
Edward Dolan

"Jon Meinecke" wrote in message ws.com...

"Cletus D. Lee" wrote

Without quality, this group will atrophy. If you let it be
dominated by a few foul mouthed jerks, ARBR will certainly lose its
mission. Only by speaking out against the foul-mouthed jerks will they
get the message. Feeding their vitriol will only continue the downward
spiral into the sewage pits. It is your choice, you can speak up or you
can leave. If you leave, 'they' win.

Yes. Yes.

Those bent on shaping the group with their slanderous, vulgar,
offensive, and abusive (mal)content are clearly revealed for
what they *are* and what they want to be *known for* by
their words. That they seek to see their names as dominant
in the ARBR newsgroup listings is telling.

We can choose to abandon the newsgroup to them in disgust.
Or not.
We can choose to let them "push our buttons".
Or not.

It seems unlikely they will be changed, so we must be.

Take to the newsgroup with a modicum of decorum and
good humor and respect. Don't leave. Post. Post. Post.
Raise the signal level.

Jon Meinecke

Jon, did it ever occur to you that maybe the recumbent related topics
are so boring and dull that no one is paying any attention to them
anymore. Instead, these OT posts, which you so much deplore, seem to
be generating a lot of responses. Why is that I wonder? It can't
possibly be just me, can it?

Buy the way, I always respond to a post in the same manner in which it
is sent. If it is polite, then I am polite; if it is not polite, then
I am not polite. Liberals are known far and wide for being nasty and
vicious. Look in on any of the TV talk shows and you will see what I
mean. Only Colmes is good for being a liberal. The others are beyond
the pale.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota
Old December 9th 03, 10:15 PM
Edward Dolan

Cletus D. Lee wrote in message ET...

In article ,
says...

PT, Thank you for demonstrating exactly what I was talking about. Al

About a year ago (Date: 2002-12-02 12:19:15 PST), I made an early New
Years Resolution to not participate in OT inflammatory posts.

http://www.google.com/groups?hl=en&l...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
&selm=MPG.18557c2e31e13217989701%40News.CIS.DFN .DE

For the most part, I have kept that promise. At the time I made my
resolution, I invited others to join me. IIRC, I got few takers. By
tolerating others irreverent, obscene and bigoted comments, has brought
this NG full circle. Good posters are leaving and what we have left
floating at the top of the cream pitcher are a few turds.

Maybe people like Al and Bryan will drift back, maybe not. Perhaps
others just as valued will come on board and replace these. I hope both
happen. Without quality, this group will atrophy. If you let it be
dominated by a few foul mouthed jerks, ARBR will certainly lose its
mission. Only by speaking out against the foul-mouthed jerks will they
get the message. Feeding their vitriol will only continue the downward
spiral into the sewage pits. It is your choice, you can speak up or you
can leave. If you leave, 'they' win.

I have been here over four years now. I've learned a lot. I've shared a
lot. I've had the chance to put some faces with names. I would like
that to continue. There are a lot of you that I haven't had a chance
to ride with yet. I hope to do that with as many of you as I can.

Well, doesn't this just about take the cake! The big gun himself, old
Cletus of Houston, Texas has decided to post on what is essentially an
OT thread. Of course, I and many others are in his kill file, but that
doesn't prevent him from thinking he knows what is going on in this
newsgroup. He is the Ostrich-in-Chief who only posts on recumbent
related subjects, and yet here he is deigning to look down on us
peasants and give us the final word on what is what.

Cletus is obviously the lonely sort and likes to make friends via
newsgroups. He is against ever saying anything that would interfere
with that agenda. So of course he is not much for any flaming (except
to me of course) as that is not designed to make friends and influence
people. No, he has found a home here on ARBR and he does not want
anything to change ever.

He was more than happy with all the despicable liberal posting that
went on here before I showed up and I have no doubt he never kill
filed Mr. Sherman. He has most likely not yet kill filed him. That may
be because Mr. Sherman does occasionally post something related to
recumbents, but I have the feeling Cletus reads everything Mr. Sherman
posts to this newsgroup recumbent related or not. They are all
liberals and flock together like birds of a feather. And none of them
have the faintest clue as to what hypocrisy might possibly have to do
with them.

No, old Cletus is not into flaming at all. Of course he has just
called me irreverent, obscene, bigoted, something about turds, foul
mouth jerk, vitriolic, and something about sewage. He is an anal type
of course and so his mind runs to excrement. But old Cletus is given a
free ride by this newsgroup because he is a liberal in his politics
(even though he is from Texas). Now maybe the rest of you begin to
understand where I am coming from and why I give no quarter to these
*******s who call themselves liberals. It is all based on hatred at
first sight.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota
Old December 9th 03, 10:46 PM
Edward Dolan

derek wrote in message ...

[...]

A sure sign that this group has gone to the dogs is the fact that all
the women have been chased off. Or anyone with any level of sensibility
for that matter. I remember the good old days when there were posts
by the likes of Beth, or Marci, or Melanie, and I am sure I am leaving
out others. I miss folks with a good sense of humor like Scott, or
those that have a passion for cycling and broad experience and the
ability to express themselves beautifully like Kent Peterson.

Good Grief! Who wants any women on this newsgroup? If they know how to
think like men, then OK , but otherwise forget it! I mean, what good
are they? Like Kipling, I prefer a good smoke!

Also, what often passes for a "good sense of humor" is anything but.
Humor is not universal but is one of the most parochial of things. It
should aways be used with great caution. Usually some else's humor is
some else's getting ****ed off at (see my above comment about women
for instance).

I also remember saars.lists.recumbent and the really good technical
information to be found there before it died. The point I am making is
that the best recumbent posting is no longer going on in this NG - it is
a wasteland now to be scanned periodically but given low priority
because it is so troll infested. Permanently, it seems. The bent bent
posts are to be found at other sources now, which I will not divulge for
obvious reasons.

It is impossible to get any good bent information without an editor
overseeing the entire process. What you are getting is other people's
half-ass opinions for free and that is about what they are worth. This
newsgroup must really have been horrible when you and Cletus were
calling the shots. Now that it has opened up I am glad to see that you
have found another cozy little club elsewhere. And, no, I do not want
to know where you have plopped yourself down. Your new sources for
bent information are probably infested with liberals too and are
exactly the sort of pigsty ARBR was until I came along.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota