Cell Phones worse than DJs

Old November 4th 03, 09:48 PM
Robert Chambers

Default Cell Phones worse than DJs

Personally, I think the DJs of Clear Channel who made the offending remarks
should be brought up on some sort of charges ... but that's a side to the
point I'd like to bring up.

I think drivers with cell phones are a far worse threat to cyclists than
these DJs could ever be. A year ago I was run down by one and spent 8 days
in the hospital and spent many months in painful rehabilitation. Evidence
seems to be mounting that they are a significant distraction to a driver.

Just a thought for those who are tired of the DJ threads and need something
else to obsess about.

Bob C.

Old November 4th 03, 10:15 PM
Jacobe Hazzard

Robert Chambers wrote:
Personally, I think the DJs of Clear Channel who made the offending
remarks should be brought up on some sort of charges ... but that's a
side to the point I'd like to bring up.

I think drivers with cell phones are a far worse threat to cyclists
than these DJs could ever be. A year ago I was run down by one and
spent 8 days in the hospital and spent many months in painful
rehabilitation. Evidence seems to be mounting that they are a
significant distraction to a driver.

Just a thought for those who are tired of the DJ threads and need
something else to obsess about.

Bob C.

The other day I was almost mowed down by a cyclist (I was walking), on an
unlit general use path winding through a heavily treed area that blocked the
moonlight and reduced visibility on the path to about four feet.
The cyclist was wearing all black (business suit), had no lights, and was
talking on a cellphone with one hand (making him unable to stop or
apparently to steer properly). I literally had to dive off the path. He
didn't stop riding or talking into the phone. Probably never noticed me
(seing as how it was dark, he was moving fast and was obviously distracted,
he could easily have mistaken me for a racoon).

My point is that it's reckless people who are a threat, more than the
specific things they do. I would definately agree that cellphones can be a
hazard when used in traffic situations, but they can also be used
responsibly, and sometimes people might need to make a call. I think it
would be a shame if they were outlawed. I was once rear-ended at a red light
by a guy who spilled his morning coffee and tried to clean it up without
pulling over, but I don't hear anyone trying to outlaw eating and driving. I
think we're more likely to start seeing SUVs with microwave ovens and
mini-fridges.

Please! Eat responsibly! If you are eating, let a friend drive or call a
cab! Don't let the life you take be someone elses!

adam

Old November 4th 03, 11:41 PM
Tom Keats

In article ers.com,
"Jacobe Hazzard" writes:

My point is that it's reckless people who are a threat, more than the
specific things they do.

Which hearkens back to the thread about the air-miles-collectin',
Nissan-hood-dentin' BMX kid. If, instead of colliding with a car,
he had bowled-over an elderly pedestrian who was stricken with
osteoporosis & a heart condition, or a stroller with an infant
in it, the complexion of /that/ discussion would be radically
different. I'm no big fan of Car Culture, myself. But even less
so of wanton recklessness and general endangerment, regardless
of whether or not [driving] a car is involved.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old November 4th 03, 11:41 PM
Pat

My point is that it's reckless people who are a threat, more than the
specific things they do. I would definately agree that cellphones can be a
hazard when used in traffic situations, but they can also be used
responsibly, and sometimes people might need to make a call. I think it
would be a shame if they were outlawed. I was once rear-ended at a red

light
by a guy who spilled his morning coffee and tried to clean it up without
pulling over, but I don't hear anyone trying to outlaw eating and driving.

think we're more likely to start seeing SUVs with microwave ovens and
mini-fridges.

Please! Eat responsibly! If you are eating, let a friend drive or call a
cab! Don't let the life you take be someone elses!

adam

I was on my bike, stopped at a light in town, and needed to turn left. I
turned to see if the driver behind me was paying attention, and she was
talking on a cell phone and kinda looking at the ceiling. That made me very
nervous as I have seen people try to turn left while talking on a cell
phone, and it isn't pretty!

You said, "sometimes people might need to make a call" Jeez--they can pull
over and stop the car to make the call if it's that important! Eating? It's
not the same as talking on the phone and you know it--or maybe you're trying
to be funny. When a person talks on a phone, their mind is occupied because
they are having to make decisions. Eating is just shoveling food into your
mouth.

Pat in TX

Old November 5th 03, 12:19 AM
Rick Onanian

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 17:41:50 -0600, "Pat" wrote:
would be a shame if they were outlawed. I was once rear-ended at a red

light
by a guy who spilled his morning coffee and tried to clean it up without

Eating? It's
not the same as talking on the phone and you know it--or maybe you're trying
to be funny. When a person talks on a phone, their mind is occupied because
they are having to make decisions. Eating is just shoveling food into your
mouth.

Maybe it is to you, but I do more than shovel -- I check to see that
they didn't put anything I didn't ask for on my sandwich. I add
salt to the fries. I put sauce on the taco. I try not to drop
stuff on my shirt, lap, and seat when I bite in.

It reportedly caused an accident, as shown in the quote above.

Pat in TX

--
Rick "Hungry" Onanian
Old November 5th 03, 12:32 AM
Zoot Katz

Tue, 4 Nov 2003 17:41:50 -0600,
,
"Pat" wrote:

When a person talks on a phone, their mind is occupied because
they are having to make decisions. Eating is just shoveling food into your
mouth.

And keeping it out of your lap.

Eating and drinking while driving are definitely distractions to the
job at hand. That job, boring as it is, is 'watching out for the other
guy'.
--
zk
Old November 5th 03, 01:42 AM
Robert Chambers

Yes ... indeed. Driving is a mundane and boring task. When I started this
thread, I picked on cell phones, but I could as easily have picked on
eating, applying makeup ... shoot, I think it would be special if they'd a)
not allow anyone under 20 or so to drive and b) especially not allow
carloads of teenagers with a teenage driver. But really, I was just trying
to point out that, if we want to obsess about something, we have lots more
we can obsess about than what a couple of idiot DJs have to say. While I'd
never condone their call for violent acts against cyclists, I've been with
plenty of cyclists on group rides who rode so discourteously and selfishly
that it angered me ... and I was on a bike.

But heaven help the cyclist who gets in my path when I have a bag of popcorn
in the car and I drop a big, juicy kernel between the seats.

All of this is a large part of the reason I just moved to the absolute
middle of nowhere. I can do a 50 mile ride and be passed by maybe three
cars. And there's no cell phone service!

Bob C.
"Zoot Katz" wrote in message
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 17:41:50 -0600,
,

Old November 5th 03, 02:13 AM
Jim

Robert Chambers wrote:
[...]

Watch out for the wet train tracks!

- Jim S.

Old November 5th 03, 03:12 AM
Zoot Katz

Tue, 4 Nov 2003 20:42:30 -0500, , top
posting toady "Robert Chambers" wrote:

Pay attention to where you're pointing that ****heap of yours and turn
off the stupid radio too.
--
zk
Old November 5th 03, 03:14 AM
Kaputnik

I recall seeing some stats on causes of "distracted driver" accidents
once (sorry, can't immediately find the source). As I recall, cell
phones were way down on the list of causes. I think eating while
driving was actually number one, at any rate, it was way up there.
Other causes included fiddling with the radio and talking to others in
the car.

Agreed, that reckless people endanger others, no matter whether they
are motoring, bicycling, or walking. Unfortunately, motorists have
the potential to cause a lot more damage with their carlessness.