Wet Feet

Old March 23rd 05, 12:21 AM
Andrew Richardson

Default Wet Feet

delurk mode on

Hello everybody! I have a question for you all.

Picture the following scenario:

I've got my waterproof jacket and trousers and I head down to the
station in the heavy rain. When I get on the train everything's dry
except my shoes and socks which are completely soaked. I wear
trainers on my (rather long) train journey to work and change into my
formal shoes when I get there but sometimes the trainers can stay wet
for ages afterwards and obviously all the time I'm on the train which
is pretty grim.

Is there anything that can be done to prevent this situation, which is
probably fairly familiar to most people on here (the wet feet bit, not
the long rail commute which is my own silly fault)?
Old March 23rd 05, 12:37 AM
Andy Morris

Andrew Richardson wrote:
delurk mode on

Hello everybody! I have a question for you all.

Picture the following scenario:

I've got my waterproof jacket and trousers and I head down to the
station in the heavy rain. When I get on the train everything's dry
except my shoes and socks which are completely soaked. I wear
trainers on my (rather long) train journey to work and change into my
formal shoes when I get there but sometimes the trainers can stay wet
for ages afterwards and obviously all the time I'm on the train which
is pretty grim.

Is there anything that can be done to prevent this situation, which is
probably fairly familiar to most people on here (the wet feet bit, not
the long rail commute which is my own silly fault)?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/CategoryProd...me=O vershoes

For trainers and civilian shoes you want the baggier sort.

Or get yourself some proper cycling shoes and neoprene overshoes.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this:

Old March 23rd 05, 10:03 AM
Arthur Clune

Andrew Richardson wrote:
: I've got my waterproof jacket and trousers and I head down to the

Waterproof trousers make this much worse since the water runs down
them onto your shoes.

I assume you have full length mudguards (not just the crudcatcher
type) with a mud flap at the front? This makes a *vast* difference
to how wet your feet get.

Combine proper mudguards with swapping the waterproof trousers for
something like tracksters and you'll be fine except in the heaviest
of downpours.

Don't get me wrong, perl is an OK operating system, but it lacks a
lightweight scripting language -- Walter Dnes
Old March 23rd 05, 10:54 AM
Simon Brooke

in message , Andrew
Richardson ') wrote:

delurk mode on

Hello everybody! I have a question for you all.

Picture the following scenario:

I've got my waterproof jacket and trousers and I head down to the
station in the heavy rain. When I get on the train everything's dry
except my shoes and socks which are completely soaked. I wear
trainers on my (rather long) train journey to work and change into my
formal shoes when I get there but sometimes the trainers can stay wet
for ages afterwards and obviously all the time I'm on the train which
is pretty grim.

Try SealSkinz socks. These are neoprene, and won't work if you have very
sweaty feet. Also, they're a pain to dry after washing - you have to
dry them one side out and then turn them inside out and dry them again.
However, they keep your feet dry and cosy so it doesn't matter if your
trainers are wet.

URL:http://www.sealskinz.com/

Alternately, try waterproof overboots but I've never found them as
effective - they always leak somewhere.

In either case your waterproof trousers have to come over the top of the
socks/boots - otherwise the water will just trickle down your leg.

In summer, try Shimano's SPD sandles.

;; Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.
Old March 23rd 05, 11:28 AM
elyob

"Andy Morris" wrote in message
Andrew Richardson wrote:
[...]

How do you put on neoprene overshoes? They seemed incredibly small when I
tried to put them on, but maybe there's a technique?

Old March 23rd 05, 11:38 AM
Peter Clinch

elyob wrote:

How do you put on neoprene overshoes? They seemed incredibly small when I
tried to put them on, but maybe there's a technique?

Think of it as an exercise to improve your hand and finger strength...
They can be a bit of a squeeze, but they do go with a bit of
perseverance. Thinner ones are easier, but not so durable.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old March 23rd 05, 11:43 AM
wafflycat

"elyob" wrote in message

How do you put on neoprene overshoes? They seemed incredibly small when I
tried to put them on, but maybe there's a technique?

Did you get the right size??

They can take a bit of a push & a shove, but if you've got the correct size,
they should go on.

Cheers, helen s

Old March 23rd 05, 11:49 AM
davek

Andrew Richardson wrote:
Is there anything that can be done to prevent this situation, which

is
probably fairly familiar to most people on here (the wet feet bit,

not
the long rail commute which is my own silly fault)?

Trainers and socks will dry quicker if stuffed with crumpled up
newspaper.

But the best bet is to get proper cycling shoes and neoprene overshoes,
like what everyone else said.

Or a plastic bag over each foot, with the tops of the bags tucked
*inside* the bottoms of the trousers, all held in place with laccy
bands, so water doesn't run off the trousers into the bags.

d.

Old March 23rd 05, 07:13 PM
Paul Rose

"Andy Morris" wrote in message
Andrew Richardson wrote:
delurk mode on
snip

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/CategoryProd...goryName=O ve
rshoes

The above link shows the Altura Stretch Shield overshoes at £27. I've just
bought the same from Stif (see link below) for £17. Haven't tried them yet
and they are a tight squeeze. They are 'medium' which covers shoe sizes 9 -
11 (I believe). I take a size nine! I use Sealskinz socks and they worked a
treat on Saturday when I came to a sudden stop in a very boggy section, both
feet in the mud/water almost sucking my shoes off! Water entered the shoe
but foot stayed dry. I also have the gloves but they now let in the water
but were great when first bought.

http://www.stifsport.com/gear/select...productid=1724

--
Regards, Paul (R)
My Lake District walking site:

Old March 23rd 05, 09:34 PM
Monkey Hanger

Andrew Richardson wrote:

delurk mode on

Hello everybody! I have a question for you all.

Picture the following scenario:

I've got my waterproof jacket and trousers and I head down to the
station in the heavy rain. When I get on the train everything's dry
except my shoes and socks which are completely soaked. I wear
trainers on my (rather long) train journey to work and change into my
formal shoes when I get there but sometimes the trainers can stay wet
for ages afterwards and obviously all the time I'm on the train which
is pretty grim.

Is there anything that can be done to prevent this situation, which is
probably fairly familiar to most people on here (the wet feet bit, not
the long rail commute which is my own silly fault)?

I eschew socks. That's half the problem solved. It does get a little chilly
in cold weather, but that can be solved by pedalling harder. :-)

Go with the crumpled newspaper idea to dry the trainers/cycling shoes.

I hardly ever use waterproofs either, unless it's really cold, otherwise I
overheat badly. A bit of boil in the bag cyclist syndrome. I don't know how
the commuter I see in the morning at the railway station can stand wearing
full waterproof clothing and a reflective waistcoat *and* an MTB (I think)
helmet and still manage to cycle. If I was wearing that lot I'd be cycling
slower than I could walk. Unless I was inside the arctic circle in winter.

--
Chris

Getting your feet on the pedals after WWing tylercox Unicycling 9 January 18th 05 07:23 PM
sugarloaf gradient lupson Techniques 74 September 15th 04 08:22 PM
Most Vertical Feet in a Year ?? Terry Morse General 16 September 7th 04 11:05 PM
Unicycle ascent/descent of Mt. Evans - 14,264 feet gbarnes Unicycling 19 August 11th 04 02:48 AM
how big are your feet? thinuniking Unicycling 13 June 5th 04 11:22 AM