Danielson to Italy

Old August 28th 03, 07:38 AM
David N. Welton

Default Danielson to Italy

Richard Adams writes:

I didn't feel I berated anyone, I simply further poked fun at them.
The sad part for an all-arounder of Basso's calibre is that he's
apparently on the wrong team and only had two comrades left at the
end of the race. Probably why he's in advanced talks with CSC, the
better to be on a team which contests more than the last 500m of a
stage, considering where his capacities lie.

You apparently don't follow European professional racing if you think
that of Fassa Bortolo and Giancarlo Ferretti, although admittedly they
haven't had a stellar year.

--
David N. Welton
Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/
Old August 28th 03, 08:22 AM
David N. Welton

Van Hoorebeeck Bart writes:

"David N. Welton" schreef:

You apparently don't follow European professional racing if you
think that of Fassa Bortolo and Giancarlo Ferretti, although
admittedly they haven't had a stellar year.

1 Fassa Bortolo 6,729.75 pts

Well of course... but aside from Petacchi, and Pippo Pozzato's spring,
they have certainly won races, but not too many big ones, IIRC.

Old August 28th 03, 08:32 AM
Van Hoorebeeck Bart

The guy you reacted too must have missed the Fassa team got 'ill' in the
Tour, which only left 3 of them.
And he must have missed that calibers like Frigo and Bartoli are on the
team, who didn't deliver top wins this year.
He also must have missed that Ferretti has cherished an attacking
philosophy through the years. The Petacchi 2003 phenomenon is a -welcome-
exception for his team.

There are true talents like Montgomery carrying bottles in the team,
that's right. When guys like that get ready for more, the whole peloton
will notice though.
Of course Danielson could also go to a smaller team and peak for Langkawi
again....

Old August 28th 03, 01:24 PM
Fred Marx

A lieutenant to Basso is the only way I see this. Someone to look after
him after Cipo

Basso is talking to CSC....TH rumours to be true? we'll soon know....

Old August 29th 03, 12:44 AM
Bob

well said! Dumb people always think they should satart out at the top!

"Kyle Legate" wrote in message
s.com...
Tom Schulenburg wrote:
Does this move make sense to anyone? Fasso Bortolo seems to be so
loaded with talent, he'd be lucky if they let him carry water bottles.

Which is exactly the job he needs for the first year. I'm sure he sees FB

as
a development step and realizes that he can't just show up in Europe and

be
a superstar without paying the dues, and suffering through the same

learning
curve as everyone else.

Old August 29th 03, 12:48 AM
Bob

I suppose you can ride your bicycle up Mount Washington i less than 49:25? I
really find it amazing how people are so smart when it comes to a persons
ability! Maybe next year I'll see you peddle you big arse up the rock pile?

"Bikerecker" wrote in message
T.D. Betting pool starts here. The kid will get his arse handed to
him so many times, it will be sick to watch. We'll see maybe one good
day from him per year the next 6 years, usually around contract talk
time, too.

Can you say, "deer; with headlights in the eyes?"

Yes. The deer won' tjust be blinded, though, the deer will be crushed by

the
speeding semi with the headlights that blinded poor lil Bambi.
The Ities will wreck Danielson. If the boy had a brain, he would join

USPS,
and let them wreck him. Lance has got one more year before he retires,

and the
"Next-Lance" (not the next Greg Lemond-next Lance, but the real "Next

Lance")
could step right in for his shellacking.

Not making much sense,

Greg

Old August 29th 03, 01:27 AM
Tom Schulenburg

Tom Schulenburg wrote:
Does this move make sense to anyone? Fasso Bortolo seems to be so
loaded with talent, he'd be lucky if they let him carry water bottles.

Which is exactly the job he needs for the first year. I'm sure he sees

FB
as
a development step and realizes that he can't just show up in Europe and

be
a superstar without paying the dues, and suffering through the same

learning
curve as everyone else.

My thought was that Fasso Bortolo has so much talent, that TD would have a
hard time making the squad for big races. He'd end up ridding second tier
races against the same (or lower) competition that he raced against in the
US. I would have thought that there'd be a squad that would be willing to
sign him and let him ride some of the bigger races as a second "protected"
rider, or set him up for a stage win in a grand tour. I don't see that
happening with FB. If Basso and Pozzato stick around, it would seem that
there would be too much "young" talent there for TD to develop his
potential. I'm not saying he shouldn't pay his dues, I'm just not sure he'll
get the opportunity to do that with FB.

-T

Old August 29th 03, 02:04 AM
Fred Marx

My thought was that Fasso Bortolo has so much talent, that TD would have a
hard time making the squad for big races. He'd end up ridding second tier
races against the same (or lower) competition that he raced against in the
US. I would have thought that there'd be a squad that would be willing to
sign him and let him ride some of the bigger races as a second "protected"
rider, or set him up for a stage win in a grand tour. I don't see that
happening with FB. If Basso and Pozzato stick around, it would seem that
there would be too much "young" talent there for TD to develop his
potential. I'm not saying he shouldn't pay his dues, I'm just not sure he'll
get the opportunity to do that with FB.

Take a look through the last few days at cyclingnnews.com and notice
that Basso will likely go to CSC.... Bartoli is shopping, Ivanov has
gone to T-Mobile, Pozzato is sticking around so far as is Peta but the
rest of em are movin' on or are domestique types not likely to place in
big races, or as in the case of one A Gonzales just suck.

Old August 29th 03, 02:15 AM
jean-yves hervé

In article ,
"Tom Schulenburg" wrote:

My thought was that Fasso Bortolo has so much talent, that TD would have a
hard time making the squad for big races. He'd end up ridding second tier
races against the same (or lower) competition that he raced against in the
US. I would have thought that there'd be a squad that would be willing to
sign him and let him ride some of the bigger races as a second "protected"
rider, or set him up for a stage win in a grand tour.

Some riders are known as super special before they even turn pro
(Anquetil, Merckx, Hinault in the past, Ullrich more recently). Others
take years to mature while serving as domestiques (Indurain is the most
obvious example of this kind). Any DS will see right away if a youg
rider is super special and use him accordingly. If he is more of the
"need nurturing and maturing" kind, then Fassa Bortolo is probably a
very good choice: They obviously have an interest in nurturing talent,
otherwise they wouldn't have bet on Ivan Basso and Sven Montgomery when
they were just promising your riders.

jyh.

jean-yves herve' /\
Department of Computer Science \/ e-mail --
and Statistics /\
University of Rhode Island \/ Tel. -- (401) 874-4400
Kingston, RI 02881-0816 /\ Fax. -- (401) 874-4617
USA \/
Old August 29th 03, 04:00 AM
Nick Burns

"jean-yves hervé" wrote in message

Some riders are known as super special before they even turn pro
(Anquetil, Merckx, Hinault in the past, Ullrich more recently). Others
take years to mature while serving as domestiques (Indurain is the most
obvious example of this kind).

You are SO WRONG. Indurain was picked (based on lab tests) to be a future
Tour winner from 1985-1986. He needed to drop weight without losing power
and Conconi laid out a 5 year plan to make him a Tour winner. Padilla did
the detail planning and it turned out exactly as expected. Maybe you are
speaking from a fan perspective.