Disc Jockey Bob Dumas Allegedly Advocates killing Bicycle Riders For Fun!

Old November 3rd 03, 05:26 AM
Paul Tattaglia

Default Disc Jockey Bob Dumas Allegedly Advocates killing Bicycle Riders For Fun!

Who is Bob Dumas?
Here's his pic:
http://www.underreported.com/images/...AndMadison.jpg

Read the story he
http://www.underreported.com/modules...cle&sid= 1150

Here's another:

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/tri...-2677916c.html

Wednesday, October 1,
2003 6:14AM EDT

Radio host infuriates cyclists

By BRUCE SICELOFF, Staff Writer

G105 radio host Bob Dumas told listeners last week that he just hated
to see bicycle riders on the road. He laughed at stories about running
cyclists down, and he talked up the idea of throwing bottles at
bikers.

It wasn't funny to cycling enthusiasts across the Triangle. This week
they are lobbying government officials and local advertisers in a
campaign to punish radio station WDCG and its corporate owner, Clear
Channel of San Antonio, and to promote bicycle safety.

"One caller said her dad had purposely hit a biker on the road on the
way to church one Sunday and kept on going," said G105 listener Holly
N. Proctor of Cary on Tuesday of the Sept. 21 and 22 broadcasts. "That
got laughs. Bob thought that was funny.

"And Bob said he'd love to be on a motorcycle and driving it down a
bike lane. Because he didn't think bikers should be allowed on the
road. He said they should ride on the sidewalk," she said.

Proctor, a photo technician at N.C. State University, joined two dozen
fellow cyclists at a 5 p.m. protest outside the radio station's
offices in North Raleigh.

Tom Norman , director of the N.C. Division of Bicycle and Pedestrian
Transportation , said that reports about the broadcasts revealed
dangerous ignorance of state law.

"I have talked to the G105 manager, who was not aware that it is legal
to ride bicycles on the public roadways of North Carolina, that cycles
are legally recognized as vehicles in North Carolina," Norman said.
"Where do you draw the line? What is the distinction between humor and
actually inciting or encouraging listeners to harass a group of
people?"

Kenneth C. Spitzer, the station manager, declined to provide tapes or
transcripts of the broadcasts to Norman or to a Capital Area
transportation planning committee that discussed the controversy
Tuesday.

In e-mail responses to several Triangle area residents who complained
to the station, Spitzer said the "Bob and Madison " show aims to
entertain listeners with "animated banter ... that can be both
humorous and caustic." But he said some comments last week "went too
far, and for that we
sincerely apologize. ...

"Be assured that G105 does not advocate harm to cyclists," he wrote.

G105 is the third Clear Channel station to draw fire in the past four
months for on-air comments perceived as advocating violence or
animosity toward bicycle riders. Officials at WMJI in Cleveland and
KLOL in Houston apologized in July and September for similar remarks.
They agreed to broadcast "share the road" messages and to finance
bicycle safety campaigns.

Leaders of the N.C. Bicycle Club outlined requests they said would
help Clear Channel "mend relations with Triangle bicyclists,"
including similar public safety campaigns and a detailed
apology.

Spitzer declined to comment. A corporate spokeswoman to whom inquiries
were directed Tuesday did not return calls.

Members of area cycling clubs have shared copies over the past week of
protest letters to the Federal Communications Commission, to state and
local prosecutors and to G105 sponsors. Several critics noted that
G105 radio hosts have sparked controversy in the past with crude
stunts.

"It's one thing to drive around with a naked man on the radio
station's van," said Raleigh lawyer Kimberly Bryan. "To encourage
citizens to harm cyclists, that has crossed a different line. It's
irresponsible. It's not caustic, it's not banter, it's not funny."

David Smith , 38, a software developer at UNC-Chapel Hill, took it
personally. His right forearm still bears the scar of an attack by an
Orange County motorist who found Smith cycling down a rural road one
afternoon in April 2001.

"How are people going to take this, what was mentioned on G105?" Smith
asked. "Are people going to say, 'You know, I'm tired of these
cyclists?' Is that situation going to exacerbate what happened to me,
with somebody else coming down a back road?"

After running Smith off the road, the driver stopped, chased him down
on foot and struck him with a hatchet, sending him into a ditch and
over the handlebars of his wrecked bike. Marvin Glenn Manring of
Orange County pleaded guilty in July 2001 to assault with a deadly
weapon. He
promised to enroll in an anger management program.
Old November 3rd 03, 09:24 AM
Mike Beauchamp

About this whole story..
Clearly I'm a bicyclist, since I'm on this newsgroup. But I mean.. is this
whole thing really this big of a deal???

There are a lot of cyclists that talk about doing **** to "gas guzzling SUV
drivers". Whether it be scratch their cars or putting stickers on them
(http://www.changingtheclimate.com/). Just go to a local Critical Mass, and
you're bound to hear a lot of trash talking towards motorists (at least
that's how it is in my city). All of a sudden one asshole DJ speaks his
mind, and it's a huge deal? I've also volunteered for community radio, and
I've heard hippie DJ's saying plenty of stupid **** about Motorists too.
Calm down...

Since when do you take the morons of morning talk radio seriously anyways???

Mike
http://mikebeauchamp.com

om...

Old November 3rd 03, 02:24 PM
Peter Gardner

There are a lot of cyclists that talk about doing **** to "gas guzzling SUV
drivers". Whether it be scratch their cars or putting stickers on them
(http://www.changingtheclimate.com/). Just go to a local Critical Mass, and
you're bound to hear a lot of trash talking towards motorists (at least
that's how it is in my city). All of a sudden one asshole DJ speaks his
mind, and it's a huge deal? I've also volunteered for community radio, and
I've heard hippie DJ's saying plenty of stupid **** about Motorists too.
Calm down...

When we hear bicyclists encouraging violently attacking cars and their
drivers, perhaps something like throwing explosives up tailpipes, or
throwing large rocks off overpasses at oncoming cars, then we could say
there's some sort of parity. However, these people aren't just
complaining about bicycles, they're advocating acts that could easily
kill or seriously injure cyclists.

Putting a bumper sticker on a car, or even scratching it, is not
comparable to throwing a heavy projectile at an unprotected person going
at moderately high speed.

Peter
Old November 3rd 03, 03:04 PM
Brian

"Peter Gardner" wrote in message
Putting a bumper sticker on a car, or even scratching it, is not
comparable to throwing a heavy projectile at an unprotected person going
at moderately high speed.

Yes, but both are wrong, correct?

Nutt

Old November 3rd 03, 03:12 PM
Peter Gardner

Putting a bumper sticker on a car, or even scratching it, is not
comparable to throwing a heavy projectile at an unprotected person going
at moderately high speed.

Yes, but both are wrong, correct?

Nutt

Yes, but that doesn't mean they're equally wrong. Scratching a car is
much less wrong than attempted murder; putting a sticker on a car, in
most cases, is less wrong than scratching a car. Not to say I'm
reccomending any of these things of course, but some wrong things are
more justifiable than others.

Peter
Old November 3rd 03, 05:04 PM
Tanya Quinn

"Mike Beauchamp" wrote in message ...
About this whole story..
Clearly I'm a bicyclist, since I'm on this newsgroup. But I mean.. is this
whole thing really this big of a deal???

There are a lot of cyclists that talk about doing **** to "gas guzzling SUV
drivers". Whether it be scratch their cars or putting stickers on them
(http://www.changingtheclimate.com/). Just go to a local Critical Mass, and

There's a *big* difference between putting a scratch or sticker on an
inanimate object and causing physical harm possibly resulting in death
to a human being. Not that I'm advocating either...
Old November 3rd 03, 05:53 PM
Larry D. Farrell

Tanya Quinn wrote:

"Mike Beauchamp" wrote in message ...
About this whole story..
Clearly I'm a bicyclist, since I'm on this newsgroup. But I mean.. is this
whole thing really this big of a deal???

There are a lot of cyclists that talk about doing **** to "gas guzzling SUV
drivers". Whether it be scratch their cars or putting stickers on them
(http://www.changingtheclimate.com/). Just go to a local Critical Mass, and

There's a *big* difference between putting a scratch or sticker on an
inanimate object and causing physical harm possibly resulting in death
to a human being. Not that I'm advocating either...

And there is also a *very big* difference between individuals talking about scratching cars or putting
stickers on them and a public figure with a "bully pulpit" like the public airways advocating that their
listeners, who may well numbers in the thousands or more, take part in phyical assaults on others.

--
Larry D. Farrell, Ph.D.
Professor of Microbiology

Old November 4th 03, 02:36 AM
Rick Onanian

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 12:15:53 -0600, Kevan Smith
wrote:
bumper sticker on your nazi ****wagon telling you that it's ruining our air and

Kevan, you are quite proud of the human race, aren't you? You
believe that we can have such a profound effect in such a short time
-- ruining out air in about 100 years. Here's a piece of a post
I've previously made on this subject:

-=-
Natural occurrences, such as
the eruption of Mt. Pinatubo (more widely known for it's temporary
cooling effect caused by ash and dust in the air), have spewed
forth more greenhouse gases than mankind has ever caused.
Additionally, Mt. Pinatubo's eruption resulted in "Unprecedented
size
of 1993 Antarctic ozone hole by lofting ozone destroying species
into the stratosphere", according to
http://www.atmos.umd.edu/~bruce/m1239702.html
as well as rapid climate fluctuations caused by the temporary
cooling effect.
All of these things, both warming and cooling, are part of the
natural system of Earth. This planet will survive and prosper no
matter what we do to it, and it will absorb most of what we do
without becoming unbearable.
The biggest problem we pose is our overpopulation, and that will
likely reach critical mass and result in major dying off sooner
or later...whether by disease or war/violence.
-=-

guzzling a scarce resource is an expression of that interest.

Err...what difference does it make to you if we use up our dinosaur
juice? Then we'll all be forced to do what YOU think is right --
give up automobiles for bikes.
--
Rick Onanian
Old November 4th 03, 03:09 AM
Eric Vey

--Natural occurrences, such as the eruption of Mt. Pinatubo--

A Rush fan. Can I ask a stupid question?

Does it matter how much naturally occurring events cause things to
happen as much as it does what we cause? We can't affect what Mt
Pinatubo does, but we can affect what we do . . .

I am a grey hair and I remember when the same argument of Mt Pinatubo
was used about the poor condition of the sewage treatment plants all
across the country -- when it was pointed out that they would regularly
dump raw sewage out into a lake, the powers that be said, "What little
that we contribute to the lake's demise is small . . . our few hundred
thousand gallons would be diluted by the millions of gallons in that
lake." Same argument was used for the ocean. And litterbugs use the same
rational "This one little can means beans in the big picture. All those
acres of land, so my can doesn't matter."

While we can't control nature, we can control ourselves. It is poor form
to admit that we can't or that it doesn't matter.

Old November 4th 03, 03:33 AM
Mike Beauchamp

If you actually think that your fellow citizens will start Murdering and
Physically assaulting innocent people, because a morning talk radio host had
a stupid laugh about the whole thing.... then there's some other problems we
should be worrying about instead.

If there were cases being reported about the legions of followers this DJ
has, physically assaulting cyclists, then I'll gladly wave the protest sign.
Until then, I hold this in the same ranks as grandma's trying to sue a video
game company because their stupid kid (who happened to own a copy of Vice
City, or Doom) brought a gun to school and shot someone.

But, in all fairness.. feel free to think what you want. If you want to be
the one figuring out the "differences" between bad and more bad, you're the
doc, doc. When it comes to "public airwaves" (which aren't really that
public to begin with), the whole "if someone told you to jump off the
brooklyn bridge" arguement comes into mind.

I obviously don't agree with what the DJ says, I think it was stupid. But,
my whole arguement is that DJ's say a lot of stupid ****, and so does
everyone else in this world.

Mike
http://mikebeauchamp.com