Visit Britain

Old October 14th 03, 09:50 AM
Colin Blackburn

Default Visit Britain

Apparently, "Tourism experts are urging people to leave the comfort of
their sofas this autumn and get out to enjoy the English countryside."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/3188140.stm

Wherein we learn, "Visit Britain also promotes England's 5,000 miles of
traffic-free cycle networks including the Coast to Coast (C2C) trail in
Cumbria and the Tarka Trail in Devon."

Though, funnily, "Minister for Sport and Tourism Richard Caborn has also
given his backing to the new campaign and called on people not to stay
indoors until May."

So, I navigated through the Visit Britain website to find out about the
great outdoors:

http://www.visitbritain.com/world/li...in/outdoor.htm

Following the links to Get Active and then Cycling I learn that:

"If you are interested in a leisurely holiday, enjoying the best of what
Britain has to offer by cycle, then a good place to start is in England's
Cycling Country. With a mainly flat landscape, a large number of circular
day rides out from historic towns and cities, and a huge number of things
to see along the way, the East of England is it is a fantastic place for
either a longer cycling holidays, or short day trips."

I didn't know we had an official "England's Cycling Country." I do now.

Colin

Old October 14th 03, 10:45 AM
Tony W

"Colin Blackburn" wrote in message
news

I didn't know we had an official "England's Cycling Country." I do now.

There should be a health warning about slab fairies though :~(

Interesting that they link to http://www.nationalbyway.org/ but make no
mention (that I could see) of the National Cycle Network.

Strange.