Should I dump the hybrid?

Old April 19th 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Should I dump the hybrid?

I have this bike, and I don't know what to do with it. It's like new. I
bought it at the end of last summer. It's the first new bike I bought
since taking up cycling again. It's also help me lose almost 20 pounds /
lbs. It's also the first bike I ever rode a century on. It's also the
first bike I ever did any touring on. So it has some sentimental value.
But on the other hand, I just rode it a couple of time this week, for
rides more than my commute. I have it configured something flat bar road
bike with the bars at about the same height as the saddle. And since I
have been riding the 'bent more I forgot how /fun/ a df can be. But I
think I might like a true road bike. Probably something in a relaxed
geometry bike. Not a super high dollar bike just a budget bike that I
can use as my commuter and for some faster rides when I don't want to
ride the recumbent.

So I usually get pretty good advice from the regulars here.
Thanks
Ken
--
A bicycle does get you there and more.... And there is always the thin
edge of danger to keep you alert and comfortably apprehensive. Dogs

Homepage: http://www.bikesandmoreonline.com/
Old April 20th 06, 12:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Ken C. M. wrote:
[...]

Do you have a grocery bike? If not, a hybrid with a rack and some
baskets or a milk crate on back makes an excellent one. Just think of
it as one more excuse to cycle. Of course, if you live 10 miles from
the nearest stores, this may be sub-optimal.

Then of course, go and get the road bike, since you couldn't possibly be
seen pootling about on your *grocery* bike on serious rides. ;-)

--
Dane Buson -
"Scissor-bomb"
Old April 20th 06, 12:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

In article ,
"Ken C. M." writes:
[...]

In the short term, heart-follows-head usually has happier results.
But in the long term, the converse seems to hold true.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- "Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what
you've got 'til it's gone" -- Joni Mitchell
Old April 20th 06, 01:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Ken C. M." wrote in message
[...]

Well, Ken, I prefer my flat bar roadie when doing errands in town. I guess
it's sort of a hybrid. With a rack and panniers it serves the purpose quite
well. I'm thinking of replacing it with a single speed, either a Bianchi San
Jose or a Surly Cross Check. I feel the need for fatter tires and a drop
bar, plus the single speed thing sounds nice.

Old April 20th 06, 02:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Ken C. M. wrote:
I have this bike, and I don't know what to do with it.

Rack it, fender it, put baskets on it. Use it for just about every
errand you can think of.

Old April 20th 06, 05:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

I am of the opinion that a bicycle depending on it's configuration all
have its specific job for which it was designed to do. My commuter /
errand bike has fenders, a basket and a rear book rack which I could
also put on panniers. It costs about $60 and I lock it wherever I park
it. I have a mountain bike that I specifically use off-road. Another
bike is my tour bike which has all the necessary bits needed for
full-on bike touring and last I have a fast road bike that I use on
club rides and the once in a while race competition. My recreation
bikes are all parked in my living room, not outside or in a garage.
This is to prevent theft. My work bike is parked in our apartment
complex general parking area and as I said is always locked. From your
description of your bike, it sounds like it is too expensive and or
valuable to be used as an ordinary work bike but also not good enough
for killer club rides. It would be a shame to "dumb it down" for the
sake of its utility and you would also still have to worry about theft
as a possibility. Maybe you should consider giving it to a friend or
relative and take the dive into hardcore cycling.

Old April 20th 06, 05:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Ken C. M. wrote:
[...]

Keep it and buy the road bike too. There's no rule that says you may
only have two bikes... or three.... or five. They aren't wives after
all. ;-)

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Old April 20th 06, 11:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Ken C. M. wrote:
[...]

It's up to you, but for me the road bike was the way to go. It is
lighter and faster than my mountain bike was. It also feels more stable
on the road, probably because my weight is more equally balanced and
puts more of it on the front wheel than the other configuration did.
The somewhat rougher ride turned out to be very easy for me to adjust
to, letting my arms and legs take the bumps. I wound up giving my
starter mountain bike to my daughter. She incidentally just did the
same thing and went the road route, taking advantage of the spring sale
at our local bike shop. My riding (nearly every day) is for fitness and
recreation and the road bike is just more enjoyable for me to ride.
Old April 20th 06, 01:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Dane Buson wrote:

Do you have a grocery bike? If not, a hybrid with a rack and some
baskets or a milk crate on back makes an excellent one. Just think of
it as one more excuse to cycle. Of course, if you live 10 miles from
the nearest stores, this may be sub-optimal.

Then of course, go and get the road bike, since you couldn't possibly be
seen pootling about on your *grocery* bike on serious rides. ;-)

Well pretty much everyplace I need to go is within 12 miles or so. The
'brid is a great g.p. / commuter bike. But of course it's a tank
weighing in at 32 pounds with no add ons.

Ken
--
A bicycle does get you there and more.... And there is always the thin
edge of danger to keep you alert and comfortably apprehensive. Dogs
become dogs again and snap at your raincoat; potholes become personal.
And getting there is all the fun. ~Bill Emerson, "On Bicycling,"
Saturday Evening Post, 29 July 1967

Homepage: http://www.bikesandmoreonline.com/

Road vs. hybrid fitting Dukester General 3 August 24th 05 02:16 AM
Hybrid cranks Vaughn Hawk General 13 February 11th 05 04:20 AM
Good sporty hybrid for women Mark Roberts General 16 January 19th 05 08:38 AM
want opinion on my decision to buy hybrid Tune2828 General 16 January 28th 04 08:38 PM
Tourer or hybrid? NC UK 3 December 1st 03 10:49 AM