how long does water stay OK in a plastic bottle?

Old October 23rd 18, 05:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default how long does water stay OK in a plastic bottle?

How long does water stay OK in a plastic
bottle? Here [1] it says 2-3 hours!

Does it really happen that fast? And what is it
that deteriorates?

Will the movement of the bike preserve the
freshness for additional time?

I just bought two bottle holders from French
Zéfal and installed them. I noticed when you do
not have a bottle in them, the plastic arms are
too close so they hit each other and make an
annoying sound. But just cutting off a small
part of one of the arms and it is fine.

The bottles are also from Zéfal. 650ml, BPA
free. Seems good.

[1] https://www.quora.com/For-how-long-s...lastic-bottles

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old October 23rd 18, 07:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Tuesday, October 23, 2018 at 12:59:52 PM UTC-4, Emanuel Berg wrote:
How long does water stay OK in a plastic
bottle? Here [1] it says 2-3 hours!

Does it really happen that fast? And what is it
that deteriorates?

Will the movement of the bike preserve the
freshness for additional time?

I just bought two bottle holders from French
Zéfal and installed them. I noticed when you do
not have a bottle in them, the plastic arms are
too close so they hit each other and make an
annoying sound. But just cutting off a small
part of one of the arms and it is fine.

The bottles are also from Zéfal. 650ml, BPA
free. Seems good.

[1] https://www.quora.com/For-how-long-s...lastic-bottles

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

That 2 - 3 hours is for a bottle that has been opened. Once the bottle is opened bacteria begin to grow in it. That's why it says 2 to 3 hours. However many bicyclists drink water (usually municipal tap water) that they've filled their water bottles with. That water has a longer life because of the stuff the municipality puts into water to purify it for human consumption.

Btw, cutting the lips off of your bottle holders may cause them to not grip the bottles as securely as needed to keep the bottles from being ejected from the holder on rough surfaces or panic stops. this is more likely to happen with 750ml bottles than with 500ml bottles.

Cheers
Old October 25th 18, 03:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ned Mantei[_2_]

On 23-10-18 20:50, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Two to 3 hours seems overly cautious to me. Pure water is *very* poor in
nutrients. Whatever might grow after being fed with the bit of your spit
that makes it into the bottle can be already growing in your mouth.
Given enough time (weeks or months), some mold might grow, and to
prevent this I wash out the bottles with dish soap and hot water after use.

The municipal water supply where I live (Zurich, Switzerland) isn't
chlorinated, so I wouldn't expect any difference between that and
bottled water. Near the mountains there are lots of high-altitude summer
pastures ("Alp" in Swiss German) with a fountain fed by a spring. I
often refill water bottles from these.

I always use anodized aluminum bottles like this one:
https://en.sigg.ch/wmb-sports-white-touch-bottle .
I switched to these back when plastic bottles always gave the water an
unpleasant taste, although that might not be a problem nowadays.

Ned
Old October 25th 18, 03:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-10-25 07:16, Ned Mantei wrote:
[...]

I use a plastic drinking bottle, one or two stainless thermoses plus in
summer several re-filled PET bottles (the cheap "disposable" ones). On
long MTB rides easily five liters. Even after non-chlorinated water has
been in any of those for a whole day I never had anything taste funky.
We strip the chlorine out via a filter in the kitchen drinking fountain.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old October 25th 18, 04:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Joerg wrote:

I use a plastic drinking bottle, one or two
stainless thermoses plus in summer several
re-filled PET bottles (the cheap "disposable"
ones). On long MTB rides easily five liters.

5l? How long are those MTB rides? Did you put
a third bottle holder below the down tube?

Old October 25th 18, 04:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ned Mantei[_2_]

On 25-10-18 16:23, Joerg wrote:
Near the mountains there are lots of high-altitude summer
pastures ("Alp" in Swiss German) with a fountain fed by a spring. I
often refill water bottles from these.

A few unusual examples:
https://flic.kr/p/f8Fp5f
https://flic.kr/p/a1N4nL
https://flic.kr/p/a8K74o

Ned
Old October 25th 18, 06:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-10-25 08:05, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Joerg wrote:

I use a plastic drinking bottle, one or two
stainless thermoses plus in summer several
re-filled PET bottles (the cheap "disposable"
ones). On long MTB rides easily five liters.

5l? How long are those MTB rides?

So are all day, usually five to eight hours.

...Did you put a third bottle holder below the down tube?

The MTB has no space for even one bottle holder on the frame so there is
one holder for a 28oz (about 0.8l) on the handlebar. After all, every
American vehicle needs a cup holder :-)

The rest is all in the panniers and the trunk:

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Muddy4.JPG

Old October 25th 18, 06:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-10-25 08:22, Ned Mantei wrote:
On 25-10-18 16:23, Joerg wrote:
Near the mountains there are lots of high-altitude summer
pastures ("Alp" in Swiss German) with a fountain fed by a spring. I
often refill water bottles from these.

A few unusual examples:
https://flic.kr/p/f8Fp5f
https://flic.kr/p/a1N4nL
https://flic.kr/p/a8K74o

Here is the Belgian version:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...nneken_Pis.jpg

Old October 25th 18, 07:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Joerg wrote:

I use a plastic drinking bottle, one or two
stainless thermoses plus in summer several
re-filled PET bottles (the cheap
"disposable" ones). On long MTB rides
easily five liters.

5l? How long are those MTB rides?

So are all day, usually five to eight hours.

Sounds wonderful, since I got this MTB I've
made daily tours and covered most of the city,
but really just found one great place to go,
and it is only some 25km!

But I'll dig deeper and perhaps find ways
between cities as well that aren't on the big
roads with all the cars.

I have 2*650ml bottles on the frame and a rack
that takes 10kg. I usually lash a drybag to it.
You panniers look interesting

Old October 25th 18, 08:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-10-25 11:44, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Joerg wrote:

I use a plastic drinking bottle, one or two
stainless thermoses plus in summer several
re-filled PET bottles (the cheap
"disposable" ones). On long MTB rides
easily five liters.

5l? How long are those MTB rides?

So are all day, usually five to eight hours.

Sounds wonderful, since I got this MTB I've
made daily tours and covered most of the city,
but really just found one great place to go,
and it is only some 25km!

But I'll dig deeper and perhaps find ways
between cities as well that aren't on the big
roads with all the cars.

Yes, do that, it's fun. On some of the routes I use 25km can take 3h and
that's assuming a fit and skilled offroad rider.

Some are easy, like this from Placerville to where I live and which is
the only bike-friendly connection:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_T2c4AXaCY

It's probably even smoother in Sweden.

I have 2*650ml bottles on the frame and a rack
that takes 10kg.

10kg can quickly become 50kg for a second when you bang down a drop-off.
I almost found out the hard way.

... I usually lash a drybag to it. You panniers look interesting

They are the smallest ones I could find and suffice since I don't do
multi-day trips. I use the same on both road bike and MTB so switching
bikes with tool kit and all takes just a few seconds.

The rack has a loading platform to which cargo can be strapped but most
of the time it's just the little trunk riding up there. Key is the
diagonal strut, a "false bottom" and a flexing Perspex (Plexiglass)
plate pressing down the pannier hooks. Before I had that the boom of the
rack began to buckle on rough terrain under heavy load. This is the
stuff the bike industry just doesn't understand and the reason why many
offroad bike-packers have their MTB loaded too front-heavy. You have to
build it yourself. Luckily one of my biking buddies is a machinist and
has an industrial grade milling machine.