RR: On The Bike Again

Old January 21st 07, 11:36 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

Default On The Bike Again

cc wrote:
Ride-A-Lot wrote:
G.T. wrote:
Ride-A-Lot wrote:
GeeDubb wrote:

Nice stuff, Mitch.

Gary

Well, the snow couldn't let a weekend go by as it has not done since
Thanksgiving. So, it is snowing again.

Here's a couple of shots of me. I never get in pictures.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/attachment1.jpg
http://www.schnauzers.ws/attachment2.jpg

Looks like fun, cold, but fun. And, damn, what size wheels are
those? 36ers or something?

Greg

29". They look big because the frame is so small. Remember, I am
only 5'5". It's a great snow bike, though. I'm even thinking about a
pugsley if this keeps up. I ran the tires at about 25# which gave a
pretty good amount of traction.

Holy cow, that's a good question. Those wheels look absolutely ginormous.

Especially the picture from behind. And I know those were 29", er 700c,
I'm sure I've commented on it here in the past.

Anyway, I'm about to head out on my 29er, the one with drop bars. And
since I have a 27" wheeled bike on the way I was wondering why a 29er is
called a 29er when there are 27er's that actually have larger diameter
wheels? I'm surprised the marketeers didn't revive 27" and call it 31"
or something, after all we all know that bigger is better.

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine
Old January 22nd 07, 12:10 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
daddy

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 13:31:17 -0700, GeeDubb wrote:

"daddy" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 10:03:52 -0700, GeeDubb wrote:

"Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message
I was determined to get on the bike again. It had been since
Thanksgiving
and while skiing is fun, I need my bike fix. So based upon some
scouting,
asking, and guess I made my way to Bear Creek Lake Park and was joined by
Ed (another former Jersey guy). I checked out the trails before he
arrived
and unfortunately there were not ridable.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/012007/IMG_5335.jpg

That meant road and bike path. With singlespeeds ready to go, the 29"
wheels hit the clear road until we climb up the damn. At least we had
some dirt.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/012007/IMG_5336.jpg

Even though the bike paths were snow covered, they were sort of plowed.
It
actually added some challenge to a normally mundane ride. The one
exception was coming off the south damn which was covered in wind blown
drifts for about 1/4 mile.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/012007/IMG_5337.jpg

Our wheel move a lot faster than the rusty old wagon. Still, it's a
perfect setting for this last bastion of great plains before the
foothills.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/012007/IMG_5339.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/012007/IMG_5340.jpg

More snow covered fun.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/012007/IMG_5342.jpg

Closing off 15 miles with the standard bike against the log picture.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/012007/IMG_5344.jpg

Well, I'm ready to have my trails back now!

Thanks to Ed for the company.

I got all ready this morning, camelback filled and my phone
rings....."Gary,
it's pouring at my house", What? I look out and surenuff it's pouring at
my
house as well. Thirty minutes earlier the sun was peaking through. An
hour
later and it's still drizzling.

Would still be a good day for a ss ride on the dg.

Nice stuff, Mitch.

Gary

same here chief! And I'm wanting to take my SB on it's shakedown
cruise....
grrr..... Sunny "Arid"zona eh???

God I love this frame/setup. What a rock'n bike. (Mitch, JD, others,
thanks for steering me this way...)

what travel are you going to run on the back? I've found that anything
greater than the minimum pogos like crazy so I leave it at 3.5" so I can
climb better.

and how do you know you like it until you've actually ridden it hard?

Gary(getting brighter out, may have to ride)

trying the mid-range first. (4.5"). I'm at 175lbs. (for a data point).

Old January 22nd 07, 12:16 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
daddy

and how do you know you like it until you've actually ridden it hard?

OK!!! Just the demo ride at this point! I'm no GeeDubb or JD! :-)

Old January 22nd 07, 12:18 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Ride-A-Lot

daddy wrote:
and how do you know you like it until you've actually ridden it hard?

OK!!! Just the demo ride at this point! I'm no GeeDubb or JD! :-)

Pffftttt! No problem. I eat those guys for lunch.

/How do you make the skeptical emoticon?/
Old January 22nd 07, 12:26 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
daddy

OK!!! Just the demo ride at this point! I'm no GeeDubb or JD! :-)

Pffftttt! No problem. I eat those guys for lunch.

/How do you make the skeptical emoticon?/

Exactly!!! :-)
Old January 22nd 07, 12:28 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
daddy

what travel are you going to run on the back? I've found that anything
greater than the minimum pogos like crazy so I leave it at 3.5" so I can
climb better.

Gary,

is your's "pushed"? what rear shock do you have? Mine is an 05 Fox Talas
RC Float....

-Gregg (finally the rain has stopped here in Gilbert).

Old January 22nd 07, 12:34 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
daddy

Gary(getting brighter out, may have to ride)

Just spoke to my MIL. She said they had snow in
Ahwahtukee this morning! Wild sh*t! Snow in the
Valley of the Sun.... Last time I saw that was in
the 80's, early 90's. (can't remember the exact
year).
Old January 22nd 07, 05:51 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

G.T. wrote:
cc wrote:
Ride-A-Lot wrote:
G.T. wrote:
Ride-A-Lot wrote:
GeeDubb wrote:

[...]

I'm starting the 27er revolution. They have magical properties when
set up as a fixed gear...

JD

Old January 22nd 07, 03:10 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
GeeDubb

"daddy" wrote in message
news

and how do you know you like it until you've actually ridden it hard?

OK!!! Just the demo ride at this point! I'm no GeeDubb or JD! :-)

Man is that an overstatement. I'm not in the same league as JD when it
comes to bike handling/control/knowledge, I just ride up smooth stuff better
than most. Make it slightly technical and I can't ride up.....or down well.

The reason I asked the ? was that I demoed the bike, loved it and then found
that it's not a good climbing bike especially at 4.5" travel and the head
angle isn't great for tight twisty stuff (but this could be me!). I also
got a large frame which may have been a mistake since I have short legs but
I didn't like the cramped, feeling like I'm already going OTB, feeling.

Gary

Old January 22nd 07, 03:15 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
GeeDubb

"daddy" wrote in message
news
what travel are you going to run on the back? I've found that anything
greater than the minimum pogos like crazy so I leave it at 3.5" so I can
climb better.

Gary,

is your's "pushed"? what rear shock do you have? Mine is an 05 Fox Talas
RC Float....

-Gregg (finally the rain has stopped here in Gilbert).

I just had the 01 Fox Float RCLC Pushed and I wouldn't recommend it unless
you need the shock rebuilt anyway. Friends that have SP shocks (5th
elements) told me that Push did not add this technology to my shock and I'd
have to agree since I get way more bob than I did before and now I can't
even lock out the shock since Push removed the LO feature. I sent an email
to Push but never got a response so guess it's time for a call to see
exactly what the $180 covered.

Yep the rain quit.....and turned to snow!

Gary