Route From Portland to the Coast SW of Portland

Old April 26th 07, 04:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
James Fitch

Default Route From Portland to the Coast SW of Portland

I'm planning a ride from Bremerton to SF in August. I have only 11 days, so
I have to cover approx 100 miles per day. Fortunately, I won't be fully
loaded. En route, I have to visit OHSU (Oregon Health Sciences University)
in Portland, so I propose basically to follow the STP route to the north end
of Portland and make my way to OHSU. From OHSU, I need to get to the coast
SW of Portland as quickly as possible.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions as to good bicycle routes (1)
from the north end of Portland (coming in on Highway 30) to OHSU, near
Duniway Park, in southern Portland, and (2) from OHSU to the Pacific Coast
SW of Portland (where I'll join the Adventure Cycling Pacific Coast route).
For this, just looking at a map, it looks like Highways 99W and 18 is the
most direct route, but I'm nervous about the traffic, given that this looks
like the main highway to the coast. How does it compare to Highway 30?

I'd like to avoid traffic headaches as much as possible, and take scenic
routes where they are available, taking my time limitations into
consideration. I'd also like to avoid climbing, as much as possible, given
that I'm going to have to cover approx 100 miles a day.

I know, I'd much prefer to do it slower, and smell the roses, but I simply
can't, this time.

Thanks for any suggestions.

-Jim

Old April 27th 07, 06:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Lynne Fitz

Hwy 18 and Hwy 99 are nasty, evil, and dangerous. Don't go there, at
least not the entire time. Hwy 30 isn't much better, for all that it
has a wide shoulder, and you end up too far north. Hwy 6 isn't bad -
decent shoulder the whole way. The climb up is gentle, then it is 20+
miles downhill to the flat stretch before Tillamook. But then you'd
want to take the Three Capes route down to Pacific City; well worth
it.

If you don't want to ride out from Portland, you can take MAX (the
train) as far west as Hillsboro. Saves you the climb over the West
Hills, plus suburban traffic.

You can get to the coast in less than a day on any of the following
routes.

You do know that OHSU is at the top of a very steep hill?

There are a couple of routes on Bikely mapped out from Portland to
Champoeg; from there you can make your way west to Lafayette and get
onto the Reach the Beach route to Pacific City.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...oeg-State-Park
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...ion-to-Newberg (head
south to Lafayette at the intersection of North Valley and Ribbon
Ridge, rather than heading into Newberg)

Reach the Beach route:
www.reachthebeach.org, look under Event Info;

If you have more questions, please ask...

Old April 28th 07, 08:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
James Fitch

"Lynne Fitz" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hwy 18 and Hwy 99 are nasty, evil, and dangerous. Don't go there, at
least not the entire time. Hwy 30 isn't much better, for all that it
has a wide shoulder, and you end up too far north. Hwy 6 isn't bad -
decent shoulder the whole way. The climb up is gentle, then it is 20+
miles downhill to the flat stretch before Tillamook. But then you'd
want to take the Three Capes route down to Pacific City; well worth
it.

Thanks a bunch for the info and suggestions. I'd already guessed I might
want to stay away from 99 and 18. You've now confirmed that. I was looking
at 210 and 219 out of Portland and then largely following the reachthebeach
route to 22 and Little Nestucca River Rd. There are only a couple of very
short stretches on 99 and/or 18. Does this sound feasible? The map at the
reachthebeach website seems to be missing a page -- it only goes as far as
Amity.

Your Highway 6 suggestion looks interesting. If I didn't want to take the
MAX out to Hillsboro, what would be a good bike route there from somewhere
in the vicinity of Beaverton. Is 8 OK until it gets to 47 in Hillsboro?

I'm probably stuck with 30 coming down from Longview to Portland. Any
suggestions re that? Any suggestions re how best to handle the bridge at
Longview?

Finally, what would be the best bicycle route through Portland from the
north end to SW Bond Avenue. Apparently that's where the OHSU affiliate that
I need to see is located -- down by the river rather than up on the hill.

If you don't want to ride out from Portland, you can take MAX (the
train) as far west as Hillsboro. Saves you the climb over the West
Hills, plus suburban traffic.

Hmmm. Tempting. I'll probably ride from Beaverton, since it looks like I
have a place to stay there.

You can get to the coast in less than a day on any of the following
routes.

You do know that OHSU is at the top of a very steep hill?

Yes, I'm painfully aware of Pill Hill. Fortunately, I just learned that I'll
actually need to go to the OHSU affiliate, the Center for Health and
Healing, down by the river, at 3303 SW Bond Avenue. Hopefully, I can
entirely avoid that particular hill.

There are a couple of routes on Bikely mapped out from Portland to
Champoeg; from there you can make your way west to Lafayette and get
onto the Reach the Beach route to Pacific City.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...oeg-State-Park
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...ion-to-Newberg (head
south to Lafayette at the intersection of North Valley and Ribbon
Ridge, rather than heading into Newberg)

Reach the Beach route:
www.reachthebeach.org, look under Event Info;

The map at the reachthebeach website seems to be missing a page -- it only
goes as far as Amity. I've emailed them about this, but I haven't heard
anything back yet.

If you have more questions, please ask...

Old April 28th 07, 09:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Lynne Fitz

Many questions :-)

The RTB map isn't missing a page. They tell you to look at the Amity
to the Beach route - the ride starts in many places, Amity being one
of them, so they've got 5 route maps, and you need at least 2 of them
to get from Beaverton (where I'd start) to the Coast. But from Amity
you'd be heading to Ballston (which is a couple of houses and a
defunct store), Sheridan, and Willamina, which then takes you to Hwy
18/22. Hwy 18 has a nasty rumble strip, but other than that isn't too
bad - wide shoulder.

If you want to do Hwy 6, you'll want to come out on Max (or cycle) via
Hillsboro to Forest Grove. The second Bikely Map which takes you to
Forest Grove will get you there. From Forest Grove, you just follow
the main drag west; it turns into Gales Creek Rd, then intersects w/
Hwy 6. It also gives you big hints how to get to Hillsboro/Forest
Grove, from Beaverton. I wouldn't ride on 8 - also known as the
Tualatin Valley Highway (TV Hwy), and a very busy road. I'd ride
north of it. Baseline is busy, but it does have bike lanes.
Evergreen is ok (you pick it up off Cornell, west of 173rd.) SW
Walker (after Cedar Hills Blvd) to NW 173rd (rt) to Cornell (left) to
Evergreen (rt).

You might guess that I'm a fan of heading west via Forest Grove,
rather than Newberg. Riding the shoulder of Hwy 99 from Sherwood into
Newberg is not really much fun - there is stuff on it, and the
pavement quality is terrible. Plus Hwy 99 into Newberg is very, very
busy, with fast-moving traffic. My least-favorite stretch of Reach
the Beach.

The bridge at Longview has a shoulder. I didn't consider it
particularly bad. There are expansion joints that may give you
pause. Hwy 30 has a wide shoulder all the way in to Portland. It is
not flat - lots of up and down.

There is construction in downtown Portland for the light rail mall,
which I understand has really messed things up. I don't live in
Portland proper, and rarely ride there. I'd recommend you take
yourself to http://bikeportland.org, sign up on the forums, and get
lots of excellent in-Portland route advice there.

Old April 29th 07, 06:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
James Fitch

Great info! Thanks a lot.

-Jim

"Lynne Fitz" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Uni Joust in Portland freshyfresh Unicycling 1 June 23rd 06 04:10 AM
Portland gets it's own bike... Preston Crawford General 17 January 14th 06 09:42 AM
Portland LBS recommendation Jon Blake Techniques 8 July 22nd 05 08:18 AM
Portland Cyclists boyafraid General 0 January 29th 05 03:38 AM
LBS in Portland/Vancouver Blue Gator General 8 July 28th 04 02:35 AM