Ken's photos of Switzerland

Old November 25th 08, 02:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
jenben

Default Ken's photos of Switzerland

Man those are gorgeous!
We used to live in Switzerland as little brats and took a trip to
Interlaken. I want to learn more about the bike trip, and how many
miles you could get in there
I had one of my fingers broken there.
Jen B
Old November 25th 08, 06:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Jen Benepe wrote:

Man those are gorgeous!

Which ones? I see no pictures.

We used to live in Switzerland as little brats and took a trip to
Interlaken. I want to learn more about the bike trip, and how many
miles you could get in there I had one of my fingers broken there.

On a bicycle? How?

Jobst Brandt
Old December 3rd 08, 04:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Ken Roberts

Default Ken's photos of Switzerland - Grosse Scheidegg

jenben wrote
Man those are gorgeous!

Thanks -- it was even better to be riding there that day.
My thanks go to a couple of people on this newsgroup who recommended Grosse
Scheidegg. It's in some of Jobst Brandt's trip reports. Otherwise I would
never have have thought of trying it.
And thanks to the Swiss folks who marked Bike Route 61.

I want to learn more about the bike trip, and how
many miles you could get in there.

It was around 52 miles / 85 km as a loop from Interlaken to Grindelwald,
over the Grosse Scheidegg pass and down to near Meiringen, finally around
the northwest side of the Brienzersee (thanks to Jobst for pointing out that
would work) back to Interlaken. But the miles are not the main issue, it's
about the climbing -- roughly 5000 vertical feet / 1500 meters. And the
there's some sustained steep sections between Grindelwald and the pass,
something like 10% (which is steeper than most of Alpe d'Huez or Stelvio). I
have photos of a guy walking his bike up. Since I had my camera, I used that
as my excuse to stop and rest lots of times.

A different strategy would be to pedal up Bike Route 61 from Wilderswil
(near Interlaken) to Grindelwald (only a few short steep sections), then
take the post-bus up to the pass (I think I saw bike racks on the back of
the bus). Yet another strategy would be to take the train from Interlaken to
Grindelwald, then the post-bus up to the Grosse Scheidegg pass -- and ride
back down the west side back to Grindelwald and then mostly downhill back to
Interlaken. The main disadvantage of that last is that you miss out on the
views riding _toward_ the Wetterhorn mountain while riding uphill to
Grindelwald.

Ken

Ken's £18m plan for Parliament Square is scrapped Nuxx Bar UK 4 August 6th 08 08:02 PM
Ken's being a berk wafflycat UK 40 July 31st 06 02:24 PM
Mayor Ken's secret plan to rid London of cycling menace. Colin UK 62 July 25th 05 09:51 AM
Horner in Switzerland Steady Rollin' Man Racing 3 June 19th 05 01:01 AM
Cycling Sports Bar or Ken's Bike Racing Only Study Group TritonRider Racing 19 October 17th 04 06:07 AM