New kh20 squeaking ? strange noise

Old May 28th 08, 05:49 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
patsandy100

Default New kh20 squeaking ? strange noise

Hi guys, few weeks ago i got my brand new kh20 07. Now that past few
days I started hearing this squeak or creaking. I am unsure from where
it is coming from and its scaring me :P I took off the seat post clamp
and checked it and put a bit more greese on the inside of the seat post
tube. And tightened it back up but yet still no fix. So i tightened up
the bolts on the saddle. and still it makes this creak noise. Its not
always creaking it just happens when i turn sharply left or right. or
when i jump up on my palet and a half :P I really don't want to damage
my kh so should i continue riding it or what ?? it could possibly be
the cranks I haven't tryed tightening or loosening them yet as they
seem fine. I think it might be from the seat post maybe it moves just
that tiny little bit making that noise or maybe something worse ?
Thanks guys

(edit) Its not common like every rotation but its happening enough for
me to really notice it.

--
patsandy100

Unicycles... nothing better
Old May 28th 08, 06:11 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Ducttape

patsandy100 wrote:
[...]

could be that your spokes are loose, or maybe your shoe is rubbing
against the cranks and makes a squeaking noise. One of the two.

--
Ducttape

'-*buy my shirts*-'
(www.zazzle.com/ducttapesunicycle*)
'*watch my videos*'
(http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ducttapesunicycle)
'*uniman comics*'
'*original thread for uniman*'
*'sigged quotes' (http://tinyurl.com/29b744)*
Old May 28th 08, 06:15 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
patsandy100

Ducttape wrote:
could be that your spokes are loose, or maybe your shoe is rubbing
against the cranks and makes a squeaking noise. One of the two.

Hi, was just riding it a bit more, I dont think its my shoes but again
i cant make the sound unless im riding. I think it could be my spokes.
If so how do i tighten them?

--
patsandy100

Unicycles... nothing better
Old May 28th 08, 06:22 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Ducttape

patsandy100 wrote:
Hi, was just riding it a bit more, I dont think its my shoes but again i
cant make the sound unless im riding. I think it could be my spokes. If
so how do i tighten them?

Go to your LBS(local bike shop) and ask them to tension your spokes,
around here that would cost maybe $10US or go to your LBS and get a
spoke tool and tension your spokes yourself.

Old May 28th 08, 06:23 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
patsandy100

Hi again, I just checked my spokes they seem tight however some of the
spokes that touch others when touched they can make a noise switches
one posistion to another. Is this bad or means they need tightening?

--
patsandy100

Unicycles... nothing better
Old May 28th 08, 06:53 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
patsandy100

I think its the seatpost clamp now riding a little more it seems that
the noise is coming from there. It could also be making noises from
around the wheel/hub area. I am not really sure. It only happens when i
put a bit of force on it.

--
patsandy100

Unicycles... nothing better
Old May 28th 08, 08:21 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Unisykolist

I received my kh not long ago and mines fine.

It possibly could be the cranks or the pedal inserts.
Check that the right pedals is in the right crank. vice versa. Mak sure
there is grease in the inserts. find the front of your unicycle. (it
should say "KH20" on the frame so make sure thats facing the front). Is
the saddle facing the rite way?

--
Unisykolist

Sticky Tape fixes EVERYTHING
Street & Trials }-360-unispin-'O,
Nimbus Trials 20" ISIS
I juggle 3 balls and do lots of tricks. I also juggle 4 for 10 secs and
learning to juggle 5!
BLUE CAP
Old May 28th 08, 08:24 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Unisykolist

I received my kh not long ago and mines fine.

It possibly could be the cranks or the pedal inserts.
Check that the right pedals is in the right crank. vice versa. Mak sure
there is grease in the inserts. find the front of your unicycle. (it
should say "KH20" on the frame so make sure thats facing the front). Is
the saddle facing the rite way?

OFF TOPIC:
We seem quite the same.
Im 13. You're 14.
I live in Aus. You live in Aus.
You recently got a kh. I recently got a kh.

I was just wondering what new tricks have you learnt on your kh so far?
Where do you ride?
How many marks or scratches do you have on your frame?
How Did you have to cut your seatpost? How much?

Old May 28th 08, 08:31 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
iAmVincent

It sounds like the spokes, dude. It's a common thing, just follow
Ducttape's advice and take a visit to your LBS.

--
iAmVincent
Old May 28th 08, 08:38 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
feel the light

One thing to check is that you have not tightened the bearing caps to
much. Many people just tighten them up, cause they will run fine that
way, for a while. I did this until UDC Roger pointed this
out.

Flip your uni upside down and give the wheel a spin. It should do about
15 revolutions before it stops. If it doesn't, loosen the bearing caps
until it does.

The stock KH pedals are loose ball, and with a bit of bad luck you can
get something in there that can make some noise. I wouldn't worry to
much about pedal noise. But then again, I have a lot of pedals. It's
not to hard to take apart a loose ball pedal, just to messy for me to
want to bother with. All that messy grease solvents etc.

It is best to learn to check your spokes yourself. The tool is pretty
cheap. For now, just tap the spokes with a spoon, and the ones that are
to loose will sound dull and flat. Turn them left until they sound
almost as tight as the average. You must turn them counter clockwise to
tighten.

My 36 made spoke noises, even after I had fixed a few loose ones. The
wheel looked true, so I just carefully tightened each spoke 1/2 turn.
This has no effect on trueness, and the tighter wheel was quiet.

I never had crank noise, but if I did, because KH 20 has a tapered
spline, I would whack it with a soft mallet, to better mess the
splines. Then tighten the bolt.

It's always a good idea to be attentive to new noises in your uni, so
as to catch trouble early. However, after you have checked all the
obvious things, I
wouldn't worry about riding it. The parts aren't fragile.

If the noise is from your bearings, they are about 8 $ each. I wouldn't
replace them unless they don't turn smoothly when you turn the outer
part of the bearing shell with your finger. You have to take off the
bearing caps and pull the wheel set off to do this test. I wouldn't
bother for a little noise. These bearings will die a long and noisy
death, and it's not really going to hurt anything else. They have a
long service life, unless you tighten your KH caps down snug.

--
feel the light

Squeaking noise from rear wheel while freewheeling (not the brakes, I think) [email protected] UK 7 August 24th 06 08:44 PM
strange noise davek UK 37 December 3rd 04 01:07 AM
A quite strange clicking noise.. lleberg Unicycling 9 November 23rd 04 07:12 AM
strange noise Paul Nevai Techniques 4 June 10th 04 02:31 PM
Help! Strange clunking noise... Matthew Myatt UK 4 September 1st 03 01:32 PM