Newbie question

Old August 4th 08, 02:09 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Sue Bilkens

Default Newbie question

Univega Rover 300 been in storage for about 10 years got it out and started
riding it.. I like to do bunny hops and I am not petite. So a part of the back
brake broke it is plastic. Brakes are Shimano here is picture of the broken
part: http://www.flickr.com/photos/29129496@N02/2730433754/ please tell me what
it is called and how I can replace it with something more durable.
Old August 4th 08, 05:34 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Sue Bilkens wrote:

Univega Rover 300 been in storage for about 10 years got it out and started
riding it.. I like to do bunny hops and I am not petite. So a part of the back
brake broke it is plastic. Brakes are Shimano here is picture of the broken
part: http://www.flickr.com/photos/29129496@N02/2730433754/ please tell me what
it is called and how I can replace it with something more durable.

The mechanics in RBT would most likely have an answer.

“Mary had a little lamb / And when she saw it sicken /
She shipped it off to Packingtown / And now it’s labeled chicken.”
Old August 4th 08, 06:39 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Tom Sherman wrote:
The mechanics in RBT would most likely have an answer.

Most competent LBS which commonly service bicycles will have the proper
Shimano spring cover/spring rebuild kit in stock. Alternately modern
standard cantilevers (about $15) work well and do not use such a suicide
piece to set the spring tension.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old August 4th 08, 08:04 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.tech
Sue Bilkens

Tom Sherman wrote:
The mechanics in RBT would most likely have an answer.

Most competent LBS which commonly service bicycles will have the proper
Shimano spring cover/spring rebuild kit in stock. Alternately modern
standard cantilevers (about $15) work well and do not use such a suicide
piece to set the spring tension.

Thanks, does that part help keep the brake pads from constantly rubbing on the
wheel?
Old August 5th 08, 05:07 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Sue Bilkens wrote:
Thanks, does that part help keep the brake pads from constantly rubbing on the
wheel?

When the spring cover/mount cracks, the spring has no tension. Hence
there's no particular reason for the pad not to drag on the rim.

Old August 6th 08, 04:40 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.tech
Sue Bilkens

Sue Bilkens wrote:
Thanks, does that part help keep the brake pads from constantly rubbing on the
wheel?

When the spring cover/mount cracks, the spring has no tension. Hence
there's no particular reason for the pad not to drag on the rim.

Ok thanks.. I went ahead and bought a used mongoose dx 100 today it seems better
made and it has a suspension. I know it's bottom of the line for Mongoose but
it's still a step up from my bottom of the line Univega. I never felt safe
taking my Univega to remote places for fear of having to push it home. I think
this mongoose will be a little more reliable. But I have discover that the
rear derailer does not shift very well between position 1-3 but shifts fine from
positions 4-7. I hope it's not worn out.

Newbie question Steve B. Australia 4 January 24th 07 01:41 AM
Newbie Question Shmozz Unicycling 4 December 21st 05 11:07 PM
Newbie Question Simon PADDON Unicycling 23 October 15th 05 12:00 AM
question from a newbie rick Unicycling 12 July 30th 05 03:46 PM
Newbie question Miles General 7 November 21st 04 04:50 AM