More cyclists ignoring signs

Old November 12th 11, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Default More cyclists ignoring signs

"reports of cyclists ignoring the bridge's two 'no cycling' signs and
behaving abusively towards those who asked them to dismount."

http://www.hexhamcourant.co.uk/news/...sport-1.257779

Old November 12th 11, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster

On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 15:15:17 -0000, "Mrcheerful"
wrote:

"reports of cyclists ignoring the bridge's two 'no cycling' signs and
behaving abusively towards those who asked them to dismount."

http://www.hexhamcourant.co.uk/news/...sport-1.257779

How long do you think it would take to cycle along this section of
cycle route if every sign was obeyed?
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.me...-dismounts.jpg
Old November 12th 11, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

wrote:

"reports of cyclists ignoring the bridge's two 'no cycling' signs and
behaving abusively towards those who asked them to dismount."

http://www.hexhamcourant.co.uk/news/...sport-1.257779

How long do you think it would take to cycle along this section of
cycle route if every sign was obeyed?
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.me...-dismounts.jpg

So no comment on the OP then?
Old November 12th 11, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

wrote:

"reports of cyclists ignoring the bridge's two 'no cycling' signs and
behaving abusively towards those who asked them to dismount."

http://www.hexhamcourant.co.uk/news/...sport-1.257779

How long do you think it would take to cycle along this section of
cycle route if every sign was obeyed?
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.me...-dismounts.jpg

Who cares?

University
Old November 12th 11, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

wrote:
"reports of cyclists ignoring the bridge's two 'no cycling' signs and
behaving abusively towards those who asked them to dismount."

http://www.hexhamcourant.co.uk/news/...zy-cyclists-ig...

How long do you think it would take to cycle along this section of
cycle route if every sign was obeyed?http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.me...he-month/harlo...

That is why I never cycle on those paths and keep to the main road
instead.
Much faster and easier.

--
Simon Mason
Old November 12th 11, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

wrote:
"reports of cyclists ignoring the bridge's two 'no cycling' signs and
behaving abusively towards those who asked them to dismount."

http://www.hexhamcourant.co.uk/news/...zy-cyclists-ig...

How long do you think it would take to cycle along this section of
cycle route if every sign was obeyed?http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.me...he-month/harlo...

That is why I never cycle on those paths and keep to the main road
instead.
Much faster and easier.

Never?????

Oh dear - yet another Porker

I sometimes use pavement cycle facilities when they are suitable, this often
depends on the time of day and even the direction of travel. For example,
cycling to work I have a cycle path next to the 40mph dual carriageway I
ride on, but never use it going to work as you have to give way at lots of
junctions and work entrances. Going home on a night though, I will ride on
it as there is very little traffic to hold me up and I can relax without
having to worry if a bus or lorry is behind me.

28 September

--
"You get a real feeling of elation just for the simple act of cycling past the local hospital
where there are people of my age who have abused their bodies and suffered all sorts of ailments"

Simon Mason
Old November 13th 11, 12:21 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Parry

On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 20:46:42 +0000, Phil W Lee
wrote:

This is the bridge in question:
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/445276

No, wrong bridge. The one you picture is the Wylam Railway Bridge,
(Points Bridge). The one in question is Whylam Bridge at
http://g.co/maps/b7ska (the no pedaling signs are quite visible)

Maybe the pedestrians should be discouraged from wandering about on
part of the National Cycle Route 72, the Hadrians Cycleway?

Maybe cyclists should learn to read maps and develop good manners?

“I pointed out to one cyclist that there were signs about the matter
at either end of the bridge and he said, ‘So what?’"

Possibly the poor soul on his push bike thought he was on National
Cycle Route 72, the Hadrians Cycleway instead of a pedestrian
footpath?

Old November 13th 11, 01:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster

On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 20:46:42 +0000, Phil W Lee
wrote:

Bertie Wooster considered Sat, 12 Nov 2011
16:56:32 +0000 the perfect time to write:

wrote:

"reports of cyclists ignoring the bridge's two 'no cycling' signs and
behaving abusively towards those who asked them to dismount."

http://www.hexhamcourant.co.uk/news/...sport-1.257779

How long do you think it would take to cycle along this section of
cycle route if every sign was obeyed?
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.me...-dismounts.jpg

This is the bridge in question:
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/445276

Maybe the pedestrians should be discouraged from wandering about on
part of the National Cycle Route 72, the Hadrians Cycleway?

Hey - my mate, Stephen Craven took that photo! I led him on the Paris
to London cycle ride last Easter.

That bridge looks perfectly suitable for shared use. Cyclists one
side, pedestrians the other side.

Are there any equivalent pedestrianised sections of the M62?

Old November 13th 11, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Parry

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 00:31:06 +0000, Bertie Wooster
wrote:

That bridge looks perfectly suitable for shared use. Cyclists one
side, pedestrians the other side.

That bridge is, the one referred to in the article isn't.

Old November 13th 11, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

wrote:

This is the bridge in question:
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/445276

No, wrong bridge. *The one you picture is the Wylam Railway Bridge,
(Points Bridge). The one in question is Whylam Bridge athttp://g.co/maps/b7ska(the no pedaling signs are quite visible)

Maybe the pedestrians should be discouraged from wandering about on
part of the National Cycle Route 72, the Hadrians Cycleway?

Maybe cyclists should learn to read maps and develop good manners?

Read maps?
How old fashioned - I have a Garmin Edge 705 SatNav.

--
Simon Mason