Speaking of Brakes

Old August 5th 17, 07:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Speaking of Brakes

What struck me as weird is that we have pro racers putting hydraulic disc brakes on road bikes in pro races. These things are incredibly powerful and can easily lock wheels especially in less than perfect traction conditions.

In the meantime Campagnolo Record skeleton brakes have reduced their power on the rear brakes by going from a double pivot to a single pivot rear brake mechanism.

Ummm, aren't we at odds here?
Old August 5th 17, 08:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

J, ura moving slowly.
Old August 5th 17, 08:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Rear gives directional stability... balance.

Pro costs or leftovers tho
Old August 5th 17, 08:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-08-05 12:06, wrote:
J, ura moving slowly.

I think so, too, but that's not what some local riders tell me when I am
on my MTB.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old August 5th 17, 10:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, August 5, 2017 at 1:00:41 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/5/2017 1:49 PM, wrote:
What struck me as weird is that we have pro racers putting hydraulic disc brakes on road bikes in pro races. These things are incredibly powerful and can easily lock wheels especially in less than perfect traction conditions.

In the meantime Campagnolo Record skeleton brakes have reduced their power on the rear brakes by going from a double pivot to a single pivot rear brake mechanism.

Ummm, aren't we at odds here?

Campagnolo also has road discs- the new Ergos can run
caliper or hydraulic disc.

Regarding calipers, Campagnolo single pivot rears are
lighter than DP yet sufficient to skid a rear wheel.
Sensible format IMHO.

My Redline aluminum cross bike has hydraulic discs on it and I would MOST definitely not get them again. That bike probably weighs about the same as my Colnago Dream HP which is the lightest of the series at about 19 lbs. Crashing down a hill a brake as powerful as a disc is asking for trouble.

Caught out in downpours I never had the slightest problem with rim brakes and listening to people talking about going deeper into a turn before having to put the brakes on makes me wonder if they think that they are world class MTB racers.
Old August 5th 17, 11:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

We heard your description of a riding performance go no go once before... I forget what....some time ago...n had the idea you were moving slowly.

During my peak years 2 of us covered the county with the Pelton doing race work...15-20

My co rider was Hungarian pharmicist.
Old August 6th 17, 01:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:
[...]

I read that TdeF riders and their ilk have been known to descend at
speeds of 100kph using rim brakes. I wonder whether if they had
Joerg's vaunted disks, would they be faster?
--
Cheers,

John B.

Speaking of brakes and cables . . . [email protected] Techniques 2 March 9th 10 01:27 AM
Speaking of caffeine OzCableguy Australia 0 October 10th 06 04:23 AM
Speaking of Cyclingnews... [email protected] Racing 4 November 24th 05 11:24 PM
Speaking of Lidl... wafflycat UK 4 June 21st 05 10:22 PM
speaking too soon:( Dej Australia 0 August 23rd 04 12:15 PM