Who is making SRAM components.....?

Old February 24th 12, 06:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Randall

Default Who is making SRAM components.....?

SRAM was originally owned by SACH's. Not sure, but I think SR now owns
SRAM. Sachs automotive still makes motorcycle chains. So I would not
be surprised if SACHS is still OEMing chains for SRAM.

On Feb 23, 6:07*am, Brad Anders wrote:
No idea of who is making SRAM, but I don't yearn for the equipment of
the '70's and '80's at all. Crappy shifting, bearings that constantly
had to be repacked, headsets that required regular fiddling, heavy
steel frames that fatigue cracked, weak brakes, cables that snapped
regularly, flimsy tubular rims that dented and broke easily.

Old February 24th 12, 01:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
DirtRoadie

On Feb 23, 11:55*pm, Randall wrote:
SRAM was originally owned by SACH's. Not sure, but I think SR now owns
SRAM. Sachs automotive still makes motorcycle chains. So I would not
be surprised if SACHS is still OEMing *chains for SRAM.

SRAM acquired Sachs.
And before the chains were Sachs they were Sedis.
http://www.sedis.fr/en/sedis_group/history.htm

http://www.bikepro.com/products/chains/sachs-sedis.html

Also:
http://www.fundinguniverse.com/compa...y-History.html

http://velobase.com/ViewBrand.aspx?B...9fe6a27&From=T

DR
Old February 24th 12, 02:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Simply Fred

DirtRoadie wrote:
SRAM acquired Sachs.
And before the chains were Sachs they were Sedis.

Sounds like a chain of custody.
Old February 25th 12, 03:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Randall

When Sachs was making components they were using Weinmann. Weinmann
looks as though they have been acquired and only the rims exist now.

On Feb 20, 11:21*pm, Randall wrote:
Who is making SRAM components.....?

The brakes look at lot like the old Modolo SLK brakes. Modolo has been
OEMing brakes for various companies over the years for Mavic. I would
not surprised if Stronglight was making their cranks as well. Not
certain if the Huret division is still making parts.

I can't believe that *Sachs shut down the Maillard division. When
Sachs acquired Maillard they were the number #1 hub manufacturer in
the world. The Normandy hubs were standard on most of the bikes until
the late 80's. Today the consumers have live with these junky Joytech
hubs that are rough because the hub flanges are not parallel.

Old February 25th 12, 04:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Frederick the Great

In article
,
Ryan Cousineau wrote:

since speed=energy,

Bzzzzzzzt!

--
Old Fritz
Old February 25th 12, 06:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
A. Dumas[_2_]

On 25/02/2012 05:51, Frederick the Great wrote:
Ryan Cousineau wrote:
since speed=energy,

Bzzzzzzzt!

Fatty masters know that mass = energy.

Old February 27th 12, 08:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

On Feb 24, 8:51*pm, Frederick the Great wrote:
In article
,
*Ryan Cousineau wrote:

since speed=energy,

Bzzzzzzzt!

We barely regret the oversimplification. Ek=1/2(mv^2); m is not
varying much here, and v is varying a lot. So v ("speed"; who cares
which direction your vector is pointing) is dictating the kinetic
energy changes in this model.
Old February 29th 12, 09:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Frederick the Great

In article
,
Ryan Cousineau wrote:

On Feb 24, 8:51Â*pm, Frederick the Great wrote:
In article
,
Â*Ryan Cousineau wrote:

since speed=energy,

Bzzzzzzzt!

We barely regret the oversimplification. Ek=1/2(mv^2); m is not
varying much here, and v is varying a lot. So v ("speed"; who cares
which direction your vector is pointing) is dictating the kinetic
energy changes in this model.

Kinetic energy is not proportional to speed.

--
Old Fritz
Old February 29th 12, 05:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

On Feb 29, 1:40*am, Frederick the Great wrote:
In article
,

*Ryan Cousineau wrote:

since speed=energy,

Bzzzzzzzt!

We barely regret the oversimplification. Ek=1/2(mv^2); m is not
varying much here, and v is varying a lot. So v ("speed"; who cares
which direction your vector is pointing) is dictating the kinetic
energy changes in this model.

Kinetic energy is not proportional to speed.

I am aware of the implications of "Ek=1/2(mv^2)". v is dictating the
kinetic energy changes in this model. I barely regret the
oversimplification. Indeed, I understated the case for my claim: "road
bikes have the potential to put far higher stress on
their braking systems than wussy MTBers." (I do regret the awkward
comparison of "road bikes" and "MTBers.")

So, anyway, as your speed goes up, your kinetic energy goes up very
rapidly, and that largely dictates the amount of energy your brake
discs have to dissipate, so road bikes may need surprisingly big discs.

Tire-making, episode {I-lost-track} --- making inner-tubes DougC Techniques 1 September 11th 10 03:43 PM
WTB: Used 105 components [email protected] Marketplace 0 March 7th 06 06:37 PM
components Josh Pool Mountain Biking 11 June 29th 05 05:47 PM
SRAM Components Chris Mountain Biking 11 May 3rd 04 09:46 PM
9 speed sram shifter with 8 speed sram derailleur brent Techniques 1 October 30th 03 02:12 AM