Overturned on a technicality

Old February 24th 12, 03:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fred Flintstein

Default Overturned on a technicality

Baseball player Ryan Braun cleared.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...raunsuspension

I'm shaking my head over this one. The sample was
collected on a Saturday and the guy kept it in his
fridge until Monday rather than have it sit
unrefrigerated over the weekend with FedEx. The
seals were unbroken when it arrived at the lab.

I guess it shows what's possible once you get USADA
out of the process.

Old February 25th 12, 02:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
--D-y

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...QARvLYF?slug=a....

I'm shaking my head over this one. The sample was
collected on a Saturday and the guy kept it in his
fridge until Monday rather than have it sit
unrefrigerated over the weekend with FedEx. The
seals were unbroken when it arrived at the lab.

I guess it shows what's possible once you get USADA
out of the process.

"First reports" factor aside: who says the sample would have "sat over
the weekend unrefrigerated" with FedEx?
How long does a "positive specimen" remain positive, whether
refrigerated or "in transit"?
Next, how long does synthetic testosterone remain in the system?
Longer or shorter than the alleged collection day plus "48 hours" plus
time for the results to be posted (however that happened) and the
athlete to arrange for, take, and get results for his own alleged
test?

Might we safely assume the arbitrator knows more details than what has
been seen so far in the media?

One reading of this affair is "What a bitch when the dope cops have to
follow their own rules".

Same old same olds for me-- "We knew they were doping", "white-out",
"Floyd's first test" (contaminated but still somehow valid) and so
forth, so on.

Make good rules, test and find what you can find on the day, and go on
to the next day. Or you can have more of this stuff.

I loved the wailing and gnashing of teeth. "Kick to the stomach"? Give
me a break on the holier-than-thou rhetoric.
--D-y
Old February 25th 12, 04:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Phil H

wrote:

[...]

The reason for the rule......suppose an LA sample was taken by
Novitzky and kept over the weekend.
How relaible would that sample be?
Thanks and to those whining about the outcome I'll share this. The
rules were put in place for very specific reasons; please don't
question them after an outcome you don't like. That's really bad form.
Phil H
Old February 25th 12, 10:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Steve Freides[_2_]

Phil H wrote:

The reason for the rule......suppose an LA sample was taken by
Novitzky and kept over the weekend.
How relaible would that sample be?
Thanks and to those whining about the outcome I'll share this. The
rules were put in place for very specific reasons; please don't
question them after an outcome you don't like. That's really bad form.
Phil H

+1 - the league agreed to the rules, so them's the rules and that's
that. If they want to renogiate during the next contract round, let
them ask.

I'm gonna go pee in a cup now, just out of sympathy.

-S-

Old February 26th 12, 03:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fredmaster of Brainerd

wrote:

[...]

I don't think Flintstein was whining about the outcome.

Fredmaster Ben
Old February 26th 12, 11:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Phil H

wrote:

[...]

Fredmaster Ben- Hide quoted text -

I addressed it as "those whining about the outcome" mainly for those
folks in the article. But whoever the cap fits.....
Also, for a previous comment by Steve, negotiating bad science is
asking for more trouble than its worth.
Phil H
Old February 27th 12, 12:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fred Flintstein

I just sent Novitsky an email. He's a bulldog
on **** like this.

Old February 27th 12, 11:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Simply Fred

Fred Flintstein wrote:
I just sent Novitsky an email. He's a bulldog
on **** like this.

But will he be able to score another European holiday out of it ?
Old February 28th 12, 09:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
tritonrider

On Feb 24, 9:59*pm, --D-y wrote:

I loved the wailing and gnashing of teeth. "Kick to the stomach"? Give
me a break on the holier-than-thou rhetoric.
--D-y

Hey D-y it was a kick to the stomach since all prior experience
including with CAS was that no matter how badly they screwed the pooch
in following procedures they'd get their result. Even when CAS cited
all the violations and recognized them.
Life's a bitch when EVERYONE has to play by the established rules,
aint it?
Let's be real MLB's testing is a joke. Any cyclist would test totally
clean, every time. OK so some moron would get nailed but that's just
Darwin.
Bill C
Old February 29th 12, 02:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
--D-y

On Feb 28, 3:07*pm, tritonrider wrote:
On Feb 24, 9:59*pm, --D-y wrote:

I loved the wailing and gnashing of teeth. "Kick to the stomach"? Give
me a break on the holier-than-thou rhetoric.
--D-y

Hey D-y it was a kick to the stomach since all prior experience
including with CAS was that no matter how badly they screwed the pooch
in following procedures they'd get their result. Even when CAS cited
all the violations and recognized them.
*Life's a bitch when EVERYONE has to play by the established rules,
aint it?
*Let's be real MLB's testing is a joke. Any cyclist would test totally
clean, every time. OK so some moron would get nailed but that's just
Darwin.

Dang, and here we go, another article in the local paper yesterday IRT
bad drug tests by a local crime lab.
In one, "a vegetable substance containing THC but not marijuana" was
later correctly identified as "marijuana". That means a different
penalty for the person caught with it.
Another, some coke disappeared, and the "evidence sample" was found to
be damp, apparently after a year of storage.
The third, only half of a large quantity of Ecstasy tablets, by
weight, was submitted (on request) for inter-agency testing, and it
was found that of the pills rendered, all had been cut in half.

It would be redundant of me to post selections of findings from such
wwweb searches I've posted in the past, such as "Houston Crime Lab
Scandal".
Or, for that matter: searching for such subjects as "DNA exoneration
of convicted murderers and rapists".

We have (another) good one going on lately:
http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...awyers-aim-to-
prove-misconduct-1903013.html

(excuse me but I think worth a look):
(quoting from the Statesman link, above):

While Michael Morton begins rebuilding a life after almost 25 years in
prison, his lawyers are moving forward on phase two of their quest for
justice: looking into the investigators and prosecutors whose efforts
sent him to prison for a murder he did not commit.

Angered by revelations of hidden evidence and apparently ignored leads
that could have saved Morton from a wrongful conviction, defense
lawyers have promised to conduct a vigorous investigation in the
coming weeks.

Details of how that investigation will proceed remain hidden behind
sealed court records, but presumably Morton's lawyers will seek to
force onetime District Attorney Ken Anderson, now a district judge,
and other former Williamson County officials to testify under oath in
depositions.

Any new information unearthed would be added to allegations of
official misconduct that are pending at the state's highest criminal
court.

"Mr. Morton is the victim of a crime; he lost his wife," defense
lawyer Barry Scheck said, arguing that a rush to judgment by
prosecutors and investigators victimized Morton yet again, depriving
him of 25 years of freedom and the chance to raise his son.

Court documents prepared by Morton's legal team focused on four
allegations of wrongdoing, including the withholding of a possible
eyewitness account of Christine Morton's murder and the apparent
failure to fully investigate the cashing of a $20 check, made out to
Christine, nine days after her death. (end quote)

Well, there's a lot more, of course. Add to the mix this bothersome
Cameron Todd Willingham case. Which, even if Willingham did
intentionally set a fire that did kill his three children, it didn't
happen the way the official investigation said it did, from my
reading.

Object of this post being: Hope and pray you are never caught up in
the net in the first place, because the Sainted Knights of the
Prosecution are likely not playing fair.

"We knew they were doping".
--D-y