Which one is better?

Old August 6th 03, 11:46 AM
Cyrus

Default Which one is better?

Hi! Can anyone give me advise about that 3 model of MTB? Which one is
better? All same price AUD$299.
Thanks a lot!

Melbourne
Cyrus

Special Edition Malvern Star - Aspect
Frame: 7005 Oversized Aluminium frame with replaceable rear drop out.
Forks:Adjustable RST 191TL Suspension fork, alloy crown.
Shifters: Shimano 24 speed indexed gears with Rapidfire Shifters.
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Acera 8 speed.
Brakes: Alloy Linear pull brakes.
Wheels: Alex Alloy rims; Stainless steel spokes & quick release alloy hubs.
Features: Alloy cranks, alloy seat post and alloy kickstand.

GT- Palomar
FRAME: GT Triple Triangle design frame, with protaper down tube,
hi-tensile steel tubing with semi forged dropouts.
FORK: RST Omni CL
CRANKSET: Suntour CW-128, 48,38,28
BB: Sealed Mech
PEDALS: High Impact nylon ATB
FRONT DER: Shimano TY-32
REAR DER: Shimano Acera
SHIFTERS: Sram MRX
FREEWHEEL: Shimano 7 Speed 14-28 HG
CHAIN: HG-50
RIMS: Alloy ATB
TYERS: Tioga Factory XC 26 x 1.95
FRONT HUB: Alloy QR, with sealed
system cro-mo axle
REAR HUB: Alloy QR, with sealed
system cro-mo axle
SPOKES: Stainless steel 14 gauge
FRONT BRAKE: Tektro Linear Pull
REAR BRAKE: Tektro Linear Pull
BRAKE LEVERS: Tektro
HANDLEBAR: 20 mm Rise, 6 degree bend, anatomically sized
STEM: GT ATB, Forged threadless 25 degree rise with two bolt alum face
plate
GRIPS: GT ATB
made in China
Mongoose- Switchback SX
Frame: Comes in Gents & Ladies (ladies small only) designed HiTen
steel frame with CrMo seat tube.
Forks: MOZO USA C-710 suspension forks.
Gears: 21 Speed; Sram MRX 7 speed shifters matched with Shimano
derailleurs.
Brakes: Alloy linear pull brakes.
Wheels:Alloy Alex Z-1000 26" rims; alloy quick release hubs; &
stainless steel spokes.
Features: Comfortable Selle Royal Freedom Gel seat and alloy
suspension seat post.
made in Taiwan

Old August 6th 03, 11:15 PM
hippy

"Cyrus" wrote in message
Hi! Can anyone give me advise about that 3 model of MTB? Which one is
better? All same price AUD$299.
Thanks a lot!

snip

Define the type of riding you will be doing and then test ride
the bikes that still meet your criteria for that type of riding.
Go to a reputable store and ask lots of questions. Then
buy one.

hippy

Old August 7th 03, 02:15 PM
Joel Mayes

In article , Cyrus wrote:
Hi! Can anyone give me advise about that 3 model of MTB? Which one is
better? All same price AUD$299.
Thanks a lot!

Melbourne
Cyrus

The bikes are very basic MTB, probably more suited for occasional
recreational riding, if you ride either of these every day look to spend
the purchase price in repairs in about 12 months time, sooner if you do
any realy rough riding.

Go for a test ride, talk to the guy in the store about the sort of
riding you intend to do, but at that sort of price range most bikes will
be the almost the same.

Cheers

Joel

--
| Joel Mayes | Linux and OpenBSD | /"\ ASCII ribbon |
| Accordionist | | \ / campaign against |

Old August 8th 03, 08:12 AM
Arpit

Repairs? what sort of repairs would you need to pay for that you can't
do yourself?

Old August 8th 03, 11:53 AM
cate hall

In article , Cyrus wrote:
Hi! Can anyone give me advise about that 3 model of MTB? Which one is
better? All same price AUD$299. Thanks a lot!

Melbourne Cyrus

The bikes are very basic MTB, probably more suited for occasional
recreational riding, if you ride either of these every day look to
spend the purchase price in repairs in about 12 months time, sooner if
you do any realy rough riding.

Go for a test ride, talk to the guy in the store about the sort of
riding you intend to do, but at that sort of price range most bikes
will be the almost the same.

Cheers

Joel

Hi there I bought the GT Palomar 2yrs ago as my first MTB I've used it
every day for commuting since then and been on lots of 30-60km day
rides on bike paths and railtrails. I haven't had to do any repairs at
all and have only oiled it twice The only problem is it's very heavy
but what do you expect at that price It was much easier once I got
semi-slick tyres and bar extensions help on long rides If that's all
you can afford it's better to be biking than not1 My next bike will be
a light wieght tourer or road bike but I got bogged down in choice so
stopped looking. goodluck!

Old August 9th 03, 06:03 AM
Jose Rizal

Cyrus:

Hi! Can anyone give me advise about that 3 model of MTB? Which one is
better? All same price AUD$299.
Thanks a lot!

Melbourne
Cyrus

Special Edition Malvern Star - Aspect
Frame: 7005 Oversized Aluminium frame with replaceable rear drop out.
Forks:Adjustable RST 191TL Suspension fork, alloy crown.
Shifters: Shimano 24 speed indexed gears with Rapidfire Shifters.
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Acera 8 speed.
Brakes: Alloy Linear pull brakes.
Wheels: Alex Alloy rims; Stainless steel spokes & quick release alloy hubs.
Features: Alloy cranks, alloy seat post and alloy kickstand.

Give this one a miss, mainly for the 7005 Al tubing. 7005, while
exhibiting a longer fatigue life than 6xxx series Al, is very
susceptible to corrosion. Since scratches will be unavoidable on your
frame, there will be scratched spots that may act as stress risers when
they corrode.

[...]

Ride these last two and see which fits you better. Replace components
as they get worn; this is a reasonable way to upgrade a bike. You may
also want to see if the shop can do a deal for you on component swaps: I
find grip shifters a right PITA.