Bikeshops that laugh at your bike

Old August 14th 03, 05:53 AM
Man with no pigs.

Default Bikeshops that laugh at your bike

It's old, worn and unfashionable, but it is mine.
When I take it to a bike shop for service or parts, those shops whose employees
s****** at it are put on my boycott list.
Does anyone else have these feelings to bike shops?

Old August 14th 03, 07:30 AM
hippy

"Man with no pigs." wrote in message
It's old, worn and unfashionable, but it is mine.
When I take it to a bike shop for service or parts, those shops whose

employees
s****** at it are put on my boycott list.
Does anyone else have these feelings to bike shops?

I have total sh*tters and if anyone laughs at them, more
often than not it's me!
Maybe you should not take it so personally and be
happy with the knowledge that your old, unfashionable
bike is still going strong and you are still happy with it.
You get the last laugh anyway when those evil "upgraders"
have to rush out and buy 10 speed Dura-Ace or
something... bye bye cash!! ;-)

hippy

Old August 14th 03, 01:53 PM
Malvern_star

Man With No Pig wrote:
It's old, worn and unfashionable, but it is mine. When I take it to a
bike shop for service or parts, those shops whose employees s****** at
it are put on my boycott list. Does anyone else have these feelings to
bike shops?

They may laugh at my bike , but hey!

It gets ridden

Old August 14th 03, 10:39 PM
John Doe

: Does anyone else have these feelings to bike shops?
:
: I have total sh*tters and if anyone laughs at them, more
: often than not it's me!

Yeah. Same here. I laugh at my crap but it still works. Replaced a few
bits on it over the years and do most of my own maintenance using the
Bartlett But there is a difference between a good natured s****** and being
insulted.

I just wont buy anything from ugly people.

Peter

Old August 14th 03, 11:18 PM
Suzy Jackson

"Man with no pigs." wrote in message

It's old, worn and unfashionable, but it is mine.
When I take it to a bike shop for service or parts, those shops whose

employees
s****** at it are put on my boycott list.
Does anyone else have these feelings to bike shops?

I am sorry that you have no pigs. That is surely cause for great concern.

As far as bikeshops go, my pet peeve is when people at a bike shop (or car
dealer, or mechanics generally for that matter) treat you as an idiot simply
because you're female. I race road bikes, and am fairly knowledgeable about
my bikes. I do my own maintenance because I don't trust anyone else to do
it. I find it extremely frustrating when I go into a bike shop to buy bits
for my bikes, having carefully researched (usually via the net) what I need,
only to be treated like an idiot because I want a such and such, and to have
to explain to some pimply teenager why I want it.

Like most people, I've found a couple of local shops (or more accurately a
couple of individual people in local shops) that know me and my bikes, and
actually offer useful advice when I ask for it, rather than patronising
crap. As a result of this, these shops get pretty much all my money, which
is not negligible, as I have a fairly serious biking addiction.

Regards,

Suzy

Old August 15th 03, 12:37 AM
Deep Flayed Mares

Man with no pigs. wrote in message
It's old, worn and unfashionable, but it is mine.
When I take it to a bike shop for service or parts, those shops whose

employees
s****** at it are put on my boycott list.
Does anyone else have these feelings to bike shops?

As someone that works with a lot of crusty old bikes, I do sometimes chuckle
at peoples old favourites. Part of it is that I admire when someone has
ridden their beast into the ground over many years. Means that it is being
used at least.

When it all comes down to it though, you can buy a pretty decent second hand
bike for only a couple hundred bucks, so the cost of maintaining an old
beast becomes prohibitive, especially when you start replacing clusters and
chains etc. And there is no substitute for something with gears and brakes
that work properly.

I have nothing but scorn for these dickhead yuppies that buy a new $1000+
bike and leave it out to die in the rain while they drive everywhere.
---
DFM