Mountain biker killed by mountain lion

Old January 9th 04, 09:46 PM
Stephen Baker

Default Mountain biker killed by mountain lion

Monique says:

How 'bout an "annoying acquaintance," then?

That'll do nicely.
If you run out, let me know - I have plenty of annoying acquaintances and no
mountain lions to feed them to. ;-)

Steve
Old January 10th 04, 12:54 AM
Slacker

"Chris Phillipo" wrote in message

Maybe they've got a "Ghost and the Darkness" situation brewing there.
--

Now that was just weird. I saw the movie, and it's supposed to be
pretty historically accurate, but WEIRD!

Michael

That was a great movie.

Hey, you never know. If humans can turn serial killers, why not animals.
--
Slacker

Old January 10th 04, 01:55 AM
meb

Penny S wrote:
http://www.npr.org/features/feature..../www.npr.org/-
features/feature.php?wfId=1580004
here's the story I heard on NPR

As It Happens ran a story on mountain lion attacks in British Columbia
last winter, after stalking and killing skiiers.

Old January 13th 04, 09:42 PM
Gwood

There are critters of all types out there. We've had three memorable
wildlife experiences :

When we first moved to Oregon, we did a little rails-to-trails ride up a hot
dusty river canyon from the state park where we camped. A couple of hours
up the trail, we opted to descend a half mile to the river and take a dip.
Just as we finished up and were getting ready to leave, a guy floats down
from upriver on a raft, and thanks us for checking the shoreline for
rattlesnakes on his behalf. Said almost every time he lands at that spot,
he almost steps on one...

While touring near Grand Canyon, we biked a few miles on the Arizona trail
(great singletrack!). At one point we heard a huge crash and commotion in
the bush a few yards off the trail. We assumed we had startled some deer or
elk. When we got back to the trailhead, there were two support staff in a
truck, waiting for their bike tour to meet up with them. They said 10
minutes before, they had seen a big cat walk out of the trees, stare at them
for a few seconds, then trot off down the trail we had just come from.

Another aquaintance here told us about a winter photo foray he made into the
wilderness of the Cascades mountains. Got a little mixed up and decided to
follow his tracks back out. After backtracking a couple of miles, found a
second set of tracks parallel to his own. A big cat had tailed him closely
for a while, and he never had a clue.

Gary (maybe could outbike a cat if my shorts weren't too full) Wood

"Chris Phillipo" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
says...
Just when you thought you were the top of the food chain. Sometimes I
get nervous riding alone around here. Its disconcerting thinking of
yourself as prey.

I was out last night and the barking and howles of coyotes ahead of me
*almost* made me stop and turn back but then I figured better I meet
them head on then let them bite me in the ass Plus I figured if they
are half as cold as I am their in no mood for fighing.
--
_________________________
http://www.ramsays-online.com

Old January 14th 04, 05:03 AM
Mike Vandeman

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 19:04:42 -0800, "Dean A. Stepper"
wrote:

..http://www2.ocregister.com/ocrweb/oc...&month=1&day=8

I can't think of anyone more deserving.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old January 14th 04, 05:06 AM
Mike Vandeman

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 22:29:11 -0600, "Mojo Deluxe"
wrote:

..
.."Monique Y. Herman" wrote in message
.. .
.. On 2004-01-09, Penny S penned:
..
.. just the other day I heard a very interesting news report on NPR about
.. lions in particular, especially in Boulder. It seems that they are
.. getting habituated to people, and that in some cased they are starting
.. to view humans as prey. There was a case cited in Boulder where a lion
.. was stalking some teens for several days at a high school, and then
.. killed and ate them. I may have my facts screwed up, but they were
.. talking about a recent book that really questions a lot of the
.. thinking on lions, and looks at how animals are changing their
.. patterns with so much human life moving into their habitats.
..
..
.. Ugh. Mountain lion stalkers.
..
.. Maybe this *wasn't* the year for me to start mountain biking ... in
.. Boulder ...
..
.. To make it even sweeter, if you're in a group, the lion will certainly
.. go after the smallest in the party ... so if you're a typically-sized
.. female, maybe invite a smaller friend that you wouldn't mind losing?
..
..Pack a weapon in a shoulder holster.

Won't protect you from a silent attack from behind.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old January 14th 04, 05:20 AM
Mike Vandeman

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 08:54:20 -0000, "spademan o---[\) *"
wrote:

..
.."Dean A. Stepper" wrote in message
..news:ASoLb.47889$gN.16859@fed1read05...
..
..http://www2.ocregister.com/ocrweb/oc...ion=BREAKING_N
..EWS&subsection=BREAKING_NEWS&year=2004&month=1&d ay=8
..
..
..Quote "The threat of mountain lions has become an increasing problem in
..Southern California as development encroaches upon rural areas that have
..been home to various animals.."
..
..Who is threatening who here?

Mountain bikers are threatening everyone.

..Steve.

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old January 18th 04, 03:49 PM
Gman

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 06:05:21 GMT, Mike Vandeman wrote:
.Mike, attacks are inevitable, but extremely rare. Most attacks are of
.hikers, some equestrians and cyclist. Get your facts correct.

What does that have to do with anything? NOTHING.

Maybe, but the facts are clear:
- Mtn bikers rule.
- Mtn Lions suck.

Who got shot for misbehavin?

Gman

=======
I am working on creating human habitat that is off-limits to
wildlife ("pure humanity"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
years advocating auto dependence and road construction.)

PAVE THE WORLD!
http://fly.hiwaay.net/~jimes/pave.html
http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/1380/pave.html
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...pave.the.earth
Old January 18th 04, 05:27 PM
Mojo Deluxe

"Gman" wrote in message
Maybe, but the facts are clear:
- Mtn bikers rule.
- Mtn Lions suck.

Who got shot for misbehavin?

Gman

=======
I am working on creating human habitat that is off-limits to
wildlife ("pure humanity"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
years advocating auto dependence and road construction.)

I'm firing up the chainsaw today. Damn trees. In the way of my project.

Mountain lion victim undergoes surgery at UCLA Garrison Hilliard General 2 June 30th 04 02:23 PM
Mike Vandeman qa2 Mountain Biking 26 November 18th 03 12:16 PM
Mountain biker in coma after fall, not expected to live DanTheMantisMan Mountain Biking 1 October 7th 03 12:29 PM
Ken Kifer -- "Identity of biker killed remains unclear" Steven M. O'Neill General 5 September 17th 03 06:01 PM
Mountain Biker Tries to Claim that Hikers Do More Damage Rice Mountain Biking 0 July 13th 03 03:40 AM