Efficient use of gears

Old October 6th 05, 07:09 PM
Booker C. Bense

Default Efficient use of gears

Old October 6th 05, 11:57 PM
Bill

jj wrote:
On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 06:55:15 -0600, Rich wrote:

wrote:

I'm curious, how many of you actually shift gears in order? For me, to
go up one gear, I'd have to go to the big ring and then go to two
larger cogs. To go to the next higher gear, I'd have to go to the
small ring and go to 3 smaller cogs.

I do not. I ride primarily in the middle sprocket (of three). I shift
only to the small one if climbing steep hills, and only to the upper one
if I'm going too fast for the middle one.

I train in the large sprocket, and get most hills in the 52x19, though my
cadence suffers. I'm trying to keep it at least 70 on the short hills
around here.

You must only have about 5% hills because on a 10% or better I don't
think I could pull that gear even in attack mode standing on it.

For longer rides that are near my limit, I'll go to the middle ring, same
gears in back. That nearly instantly gives me faster more favorable
cadence, though I try to maintain at least 80rpm when training, which
requires a lot of concentration, for me. I figure - make it harder in
training and then ease off when going for a longer ride, or a group ride or
event.

jj

Why is everybody training?? I thought bicycling was to be enjoyed for
the freedom from gas and just plain being away from a desk. I get into
training mode sometimes not even thinking about it, but then again at 57
what would I be training for? I'm training for a century, and not the
miles kind. I would like to think of myself as still riding and enjoying
the outdoors at 110 years old.
Bill Baka
Old October 11th 05, 06:44 AM
Violet Tigress

In article ,
The Wogster wrote:

Very few, because, as you have found, the gears are not in order, and
when there is more then one chain ring,

***********
I know my ignorance is showing here, but having never ridden a bike the
gears just confuse me. My gears are in order but I only have 3 speeds on
my trike.
Old October 11th 05, 11:48 AM
The Wogster

Violet Tigress wrote:
In article ,
The Wogster wrote:

Very few, because, as you have found, the gears are not in order, and
when there is more then one chain ring,

***********
I know my ignorance is showing here, but having never ridden a bike the
gears just confuse me. My gears are in order but I only have 3 speeds on
my trike.

Oops typo, that should have read -- the gears are not in order, when
there is more then one chain ring.

This is because with more then one chain ring, there is a bit of
overlap, so it might be (front/rear) 2/3 then 1/4 then 3/3 then 2/4....

how many gears? Ken Marcet Techniques 55 April 5th 05 02:32 PM
Still Looking for a bike [email protected] UK 19 September 5th 04 10:25 AM
Advantages of Higher and Lower Gears? Elisa Francesca Roselli General 21 April 3rd 04 06:13 AM
newbie bike question - how to tell if bike chain is worn too much Stephen Australia 7 November 28th 03 01:14 AM
Usable gears on 53,39 x 25,12 9 speed? Mike S. Techniques 4 September 27th 03 02:05 PM