experience with Lake MXZ 300 winter shoe?

Old January 5th 04, 11:08 PM
Doug Purdy

Default experience with Lake MXZ 300 winter shoe?

Saw the Lake MXZ 300 winter cycling shoe in a LBS. While it's a
bit pricy it does look like a very good winter shoe.

http://www.lakecycling.com/adventure.html

But the toe box didn't look like it would be especially warm and
that is the biggest weakness of the Sidi Storms I'm currently
wearing. The shoe has a thick sole which should insulate from the
pedal but that extra thickness might make it difficult to use
neoprene toe covers/shoe covers/booties which make the Storms
livable. For insurance, I'd rather have the Lakes larger for extra
socks but the biggest size is 48, my summer size.

Anyone have any experience with this shoe?

Doug
For email, a sense of wonder.

Old January 6th 04, 08:44 PM
Alex Rodriguez

In article .com,
says...

Saw the Lake MXZ 300 winter cycling shoe in a LBS. While it's a
bit pricy it does look like a very good winter shoe.

http://www.lakecycling.com/adventure.html

But the toe box didn't look like it would be especially warm and
that is the biggest weakness of the Sidi Storms I'm currently
wearing. The shoe has a thick sole which should insulate from the
pedal but that extra thickness might make it difficult to use
neoprene toe covers/shoe covers/booties which make the Storms
livable. For insurance, I'd rather have the Lakes larger for extra
socks but the biggest size is 48, my summer size.

If you winter shoe still requires you to use a booty to keep warm, why
bother? My regular summer shoes with a booty keep my feet warm in cold
weather. I would expect a shoe designed for winter use to not require me
to use a booty.
---------------
Alex

Old January 8th 04, 07:52 PM
Doug Purdy

Alex Rodriguez wrote in message ...
In article .com,
says...

Saw the Lake MXZ 300 winter cycling shoe in a LBS. While it's a
bit pricy it does look like a very good winter shoe.

http://www.lakecycling.com/adventure.html

But the toe box didn't look like it would be especially warm and
that is the biggest weakness of the Sidi Storms I'm currently
wearing. The shoe has a thick sole which should insulate from the
pedal but that extra thickness might make it difficult to use
neoprene toe covers/shoe covers/booties which make the Storms
livable. For insurance, I'd rather have the Lakes larger for extra
socks but the biggest size is 48, my summer size.

If you winter shoe still requires you to use a booty to keep warm, why
bother? My regular summer shoes with a booty keep my feet warm in cold
weather. I would expect a shoe designed for winter use to not require me
to use a booty.

Hi Alex,

I'd expect the same, but the Sidi Storms (not the Storm II) were not
billed as a winter shoe as I recall. They do well in the wet with rain
tights down to just above freezing. The big reason for a winter shoe
was to get a larger size with room for winter socks but the socks made
only a small difference for me. Still, now that I have them, they do
make a difference.

Knowing what I do now, I wouldn't get the size 50 Sidis but I might
try a 52. My summer size is a wide 47/48. Maybe the narrow 50 Sidis
don't really have enough extra room.

Now for the Lake MXZ 300s, I find that there seem to be pretty wide
variations on what temperatures people are thinking of when they speak
of "winter." For a winter shoe to really work for me, it must be for
-20F/-30C.

Doug
For email, a sense of wonder.

Do you guys commute in the winter? Slider2699 General 128 December 20th 04 07:31 AM
Winter Commuting Doug General 34 October 21st 03 09:30 AM
Unbridled Hostility one of the six billion General 37 July 30th 03 08:10 AM